Resolved WA - Federal Way, Human Remains, in brush along I-5, Jan'10

impatientredhead

Reaction score
Body found by DOT workers

January 8, 2010

A decomposed body was found yesterday (January 7th) by Washington State DOT workers clearing brushing along I-5 just east of Federal Way.
The workers found the body about 2:30 PM near the 3100 block of S. 298th. Due to the advanced state of decomposition, it was impossible to tell the gender or cause of death. The remains were turned over to the Medical Examiner’s Office.

by KING5.com
Posted on January 4, 2010 at 2:26 PM
Updated Monday, Jan 4 at 2:26 PM

FEDERAL WAY, Wash. – The Federal Way Police Department is asking for the public’s help in finding a man who was reported missing on Dec. 21.
Police say 50-year-old Scott McMorran was last seen at his home near 3001 S 288th St. at about 12 p.m, on Dec. 19. He has been classified as a Missing and Endangered Person due to a recent history of depression and suicidal thoughts.
McMorran’s vehicle, a burgundy 1995 4-door Dodge Stratus, Washington license plate 170 VEH, is also missing from his home.
There has been no activity on his bank accounts, his cell phone appears to be shut off, and he has not reported for work in more than two weeks.
McMorran is 5-foot-8, 190 pounds, with blue eyes and red hair and a receding hairline.
If you have information you are asked to contact Federal Way Police by dialing 911.

http://www.nwcn.com/news/washington/Publics-help-sought-in-locating-Federal-Way-man-80653812.html

How long does it take for a body to decompose such that it is in an unrecognizable state?

Thanks for the link...I am going to be watching this story closely...

OKAY, found the answer.

It depends on the location in which the corpse (or body) is in. If it's in a grassy area, (Includes meadows, hills, jungles, woods and forests) it will decompose quickly due to the many insects which roam around the area. The flies lay eggs, maggots are born, and they eat the body from the inside out. Disgusting I know. It would take a body to decay for about fourteen days until becoming a skeleton or just bones. The skeleton itself would take many decades before it becomes dust.

If it's in a desert or canyon, it will just dry up. Sort of like how fruit dries up. It could be considered that it decomposes if animals like vultures are around to eat it up.
If it's in water or a swamp, the skin would last for a very long time. Just look at those ancient bog bodies discovered. Their skeletons have already dissolved leaving just a bag of wet skin. These bodies are apparently thousands of years old.
Finally, if it's in a cold mountain or tundra, it will just freeze up and will not rot due to no insects being around. Again though, any animal can find it and eat it up. Many thousand of years bodies have also been discovered in a decent state. So there you have it. If you want a short answer though, it would take lots of days, sometimes a few weeks, months, even years at times.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_does_it_take_for_a_body_to_decay

I still can't find any information on these remains anywhere. :sigh:

"A local family drove to the scene. Mike Curtis, the relative of a missing father of three children, said they are desperate for answers. Their loved one has been missing since April. The missing man’s name was not provided in the news report.

“The skeletal remains have been here for probably less than a year,” Federal Way Police Commander Stan McCall said Friday. “I know there’s an old transient camp nearby, but it doesn’t look like it’s been visited for quite some time,” he said.

The man's aunt said, “We pretty much presume he’s dead.” Another family member, Mike Curtiss said, “He’s been missing since April."

KOMO 4 News reports there is no evidence to indicate whether or not this is their missing loved one."
http://www.examiner.com/article/hum...-near-puyallup-wa-where-families-seek-answers

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeachyTee
Back