738 users online (114 members and 624 guests)  

Websleuths News

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    jnTexas's Avatar
    jnTexas is offline Can't wait for softball and baseball to start :-)
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Splendora, Texas

    Baby Dies After Swallowing Watch Battery


    HAMILTON, Ohio -- A 13-month-old boy is dead after his parents say he swallowed a watch battery

    Aidan's parents knew something was wrong when their son began having trouble eating, and they soon learned it was because he'd swallowed a battery the size of a dime.

    "It's not just the acid – it's the current passing through the tissues," Lonnie Truett said.

    The combination caused severe bleeding that eventually led to the boy's death.

    "I did CPR, I did my best, but he was going very quick," Michelle Truett said.

    More at the link

    My heart just breaks for this family. Who would've known a watch battery could do so much damage.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Northern California
    Hearing aids batteries can also be a danger for both children and pets.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    ummm so how'd he get hold of the battery?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Very sad. Who knows how he got ahold of it, but my guess is that it must have fallen out of someone's watch without them realizing it or it was laying around and he was crawling around, found it, and put it in his mouth. I had no idea they were so dangerous to children and pets either! You have to be SO CAREFUL!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    On Battleship Hill
    Poor baby, my neice did the exact, same thing when she was a 7month old. Luckily she was hospitalised and survived.
    Prayers for that family...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    MD 'burbs of Washington DC
    There was something in the media similar to this, or on a tv show, not too long ago... I remember reading about it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I remember it too Elphaba. I think in that case it was a little girl. Kids can find and get into anything, just like pets. You think you have something put away out of reach and sometimes they can still find a way to get it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Oh Captain, My Captain
    Here is the some of the chemical makeup of a battery:

    Button or watch batteries used to be made up of mercury...it was outlawed, but depending on the age of the battery or where the battery came from, it is tough to say of course.
    email me

    Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

    Bob Harrod SAR

    “The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Emerald City
    Wow, I have never heard of them being so hazardous.
    I would have guessed it would pass right through like so many other items that get ingested during childhood.

Similar Threads

  1. GUILTY IL - Robert Hill for child abuse, Jerseyville, 2010
    By Texas Mist in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-22-2015, 01:49 AM
  2. Toddler Dies After Swallowing A Battery
    By White Rain in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-29-2009, 06:51 PM
  3. Inmates watch over baby abandoned on side of highway
    By SeekingJana in forum News that makes you smile!
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-11-2009, 09:56 PM
  4. Boy dies from swallowing pool water
    By pixies in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-05-2008, 06:44 PM
  5. Baby Shakes $100,000 Battery Out Of Remote
    By Casshew in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-20-2004, 08:18 AM