OR - Daniel Orourke for sexual assault of 14yo boy, Hood River, 2009

FreeFrankGable

Reaction score
Website
www.freefrankgable.com
This guy pleads guilty to sodomizing a 14 year old boy after a crime lab found DNA inside the boy's underwear. Detectives said the guy touched the boy inappropriately and forced the teenager to perform oral sex on him.

"Your actions are inexcusable," the judge told Orourke on Wednesday. "At best, you are a threat to society. And you have a affected a family for a lifetime."

Then he sentenced this to a measely 60 days in jail.:furious:

Click here for story

Disgusting! The judge needs to be recalled or fired or whatever!!!!! 60 days for rape? 60 days for rape of a child? What the he??

And what about LE - do they even know how to investigate a crime? They had a victim that could identify the attacker and they couldn't arrest??????? GMAB!!!!!!

This story makes my blood boil. I wrote a comment on the article - let's see if they publish it. It has to be approved first. I didn't cuss, but.....

Salem

This guy pleads guilty to sodomizing a 14 year old boy after a crime lab found DNA inside the boy's underwear. Detectives said the guy touched the boy inappropriately and forced the teenager to perform oral sex on him.

"Your actions are inexcusable," the judge told Orourke on Wednesday. "At best, you are a threat to society. And you have a affected a family for a lifetime."

Then he sentenced this to a measely 60 days in jail.:furious:

Click here for story

from your link:

The state dropped sex abuse charges as part of the plea deal, but Orourke must register as a sex offender. The judge placed him on three years probation and ordered him to pay nearly $1,000 in fines.

he should have been ordered to pay for counseling for the boy & his family...BFD - $1000!!!

makes ya wonder why the judge claimed the actions were inexcusable - then gave him 60 days....if that's the max the law allows, that's more than outrageous. :mad:

ok i know this is like, my third 'godfather' reference in the last 24 hours......but this is like the opening scene of the book, where the two punks who beat the living snot out of the undertakers daughter get a suspended sentence, after the judge tells them how dispiccable and dangerous they are...........
'your a danger to society, but you get 60 days' what kind of message does that serve? plead guilty and all is forgiven? grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

i dont like to stereotype by area. i think judges are like this all over the country. my own state just had a moron judge give 1000 cash bail to a child rapist who then went and raped another child. it's ridiculous

Yeah, I havta agree...it is a nationwide problem. I'm a bit prejudiced concerning Oregon judicial circles. I believe a few judges in Oregon are pedophiles themselves.

It's a gamble in Oregon. I've learned that it depends on the judge. I posted a while back about Mark Hoffman who got 50 years for raping his toddlers and videotaping it. The most remarkable thing about that case was the 13.9 million bail:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/123915751276320.xml&coll=7

Then there's the case of Samuel Arthur Silverman (I have a thread on him too). He pleaded guilty to raping two boys but was only given 120 days in jail and probation. Judge Loren Sawyer chose to flaunt the Oregon Measure 11 law which would have given him 75 months per rape. Silverman fled to Israel and hid out for almost nine years (victimizing who knows how many kids) and was just returned last month to our county through extradition from Israel for re-sentencing. My husband went to his arraignment and he didn't look too pleased. I've always wondered why this judge didn't get sanctioned for his actions.

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091222/NEWS/912220315

Then there's our case. I felt as if we got a very fair trial and the rapist ended up with 12 convictions (all but one sex abuse charges, many Rape 1's). The judge was extremely gentle with the children and handed down what I thought were fair convictions. What was the original punishment? I'll bet many of you don't know as I don't mention it often. Eight days served and community based treatment. Yep.

http://archive.mailtribune.com/archive/99/mar99/31299n7.htm

There was a warning from the judge, however. If the youth did not start treatment immediately, he would be locked up. He failed in his treatment and failed his polygraphs, and we all went back to court. The judge ordered him held at the OYA until his 25th birthday. He did 10 years and got out this last summer. I've always worried about the four months between the convictions and the lock-up. Could other children have been abused?

Because their were eight victims (convictions on only seven, however), the word on the street was awful. It was as if a rapist was being sanctioned one day (already served) for the rape of a young child. It didn't help that the rapist was white while all but one of the victims were black. It was very ugly until he was finally locked up.

My guess, Rob, is that we're like most any state. It all depends on the judge. That's what Measure 11 was intended for. And then you get a rogue judge who decides to do what he wants.

It's a gamble in Oregon. I've learned that it depends on the judge. I posted a while back about Mark Hoffman who got 50 years for raping his toddlers and videotaping it. The most remarkable thing about that case was the 13.9 million bail:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/123915751276320.xml&coll=7

Then there's the case of Samuel Arthur Silverman (I have a thread on him too). He pleaded guilty to raping two boys but was only given 120 days in jail and probation. Judge Loren Sawyer chose to flaunt the Oregon Measure 11 law which would have given him 75 months per rape. Silverman fled to Israel and hid out for almost nine years (victimizing who knows how many kids) and was just returned last month to our county through extradition from Israel for re-sentencing. My husband went to his arraignment and he didn't look too pleased. I've always wondered why this judge didn't get sanctioned for his actions.

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091222/NEWS/912220315

Then there's our case. I felt as if we got a very fair trial and the rapist ended up with 12 convictions (all but one sex abuse charges, many Rape 1's). The judge was extremely gentle with the children and handed down what I thought were fair convictions. What was the original punishment? I'll bet many of you don't know as I don't mention it often. Eight days served and community based treatment. Yep.

http://archive.mailtribune.com/archive/99/mar99/31299n7.htm

There was a warning from the judge, however. If the youth did not start treatment immediately, he would be locked up. He failed in his treatment and failed his polygraphs, and we all went back to court. The judge ordered him held at the OYA until his 25th birthday. He did 10 years and got out this last summer. I've always worried about the four months between the convictions and the lock-up. Could other children have been abused?

Because their were eight victims (convictions on only seven, however), the word on the street was awful. It was as if a rapist was being sanctioned one day (already served) for the rape of a young child. It didn't help that the rapist was white while all but one of the victims were black. It was very ugly until he was finally locked up.

My guess, Rob, is that we're like most any state. It all depends on the judge. That's what Measure 11 was intended for. And then you get a rogue judge who decides to do what he wants.

8 days for ruining 7 kids lives forever.
just awesome.
he should have been thrown off the bench

kbl--I know that some have said that. However, you had to have been there. The trial was impeccable. It held up under intense scrutiny. On the day of convictions, I was so focused on closure, I didn't have heart failure over the lack of sentencing. It was the media and the DA's office who threw the fits. I just wanted him to get help. I've never held animosity. I can't hate him as I don't know what happened to him.

I knew in my heart that he wouldn't admit. i knew it was a matter of time. The justice dept. kept us apprised and our kids started therapy. I was actually in a bit of shock on that June day in 1999, when the Judge told him sternly that he'd given him the opportunity to admit and start treatment but that it hadn't worked. I watched as the bailiffs handcuffed him. I watched as my adult son (newly sickened with MS) was wrestled to the floor by another bailiff for yelling out "I hope you rot in Hell" as the rapist laughed. We held our kids close and we all walked down those marble steps. We just thought it was over. it wasn't by a long shot. We still had three more trials, a clemency request, and a law to change. It's taken up the better part of twelve years of our lives.

I'm reminded by someone daily that I should feel fortunate that the rapist ended up doing 10 years. That's far more than many.

missizzy i totally understand.
but then i remember that light setences or early parole end up with things like jaycee happening, and acquital of molestation charges end up in cases like samantha runions, and light bail for child rapists end up in cases like the one in my home state. and i have to think the judge has to be held accountable for stuff like this. or the parole board in garrido's case. these sickos cannot be changed, i dont care how old they are or how many people stand up for them and say 'they are diffrent, they've changed' blah blah blah.

kbl--I completely agree with you. However, remember our rapist was a teen. We were actually quite fortunate that Crime Victims United had recently successfully lobbied for youth to be held (or to come under the jurisdiction of the Oregon Youth Authority) until the age of 25. Prior to our case, youth were released at age 21. So, he did 10 years. He's a lifetime RSO but unfortunately Oregon does not assign the predator label to youth so he can never be labeled that way.

Until he re-offends....which he will.

And this rapist never claimed to be "better" or "rehabilitated". In fact, he still claims that he's innocent. He never attended a day of treatment as treatment requires admission of your crime.

Thank you, Judge Vogt!!! Please check out my recent post on the thread about Malcolm Gerlach, "Convicted abductor poses risk, OR jury finds". 130 years.

Thank you, members of the jury and thank you, Judge Vogt!!

kbl--I completely agree with you. However, remember our rapist was a teen. We were actually quite fortunate that Crime Victims United had recently successfully lobbied for youth to be held (or to come under the jurisdiction of the Oregon Youth Authority) until the age of 25. Prior to our case, youth were released at age 21. So, he did 10 years. He's a lifetime RSO but unfortunately Oregon does not assign the predator label to youth so he can never be labeled that way.

Until he re-offends....which he will.

And this rapist never claimed to be "better" or "rehabilitated". In fact, he still claims that he's innocent. He never attended a day of treatment as treatment requires admission of your crime.

but 8 days (the originl sentence) is a total insult to all the victims.......a day per victim? and i thought the jury in the susuan smith case was bad only thinking the boys were worth 20 years each.

kbl--As I said, I agree. At the time, I was just glad to be done (or so I thought) and to have the validation of the convictions. Trust me, I did lie in bed and think "one day per child"? It didn't jive with the comments the judge made or the seriousness of the convictions. I think that the judge truly thought that this teen would work with the treatment plan (and our family had already been very clear that that was what we wanted).

At the time, I had no idea that the teen was actually a pedophile (or what a pedophile really was) and would surely keep re-offending. I've researched a lot and learned a lot in the last 12 years. If I knew then what I know now, I probably wouldn't have been so accepting.

The bottom line is that the judge threatened the teen with lock-up and he made good on it. He gave him a little more than three months to admit and go through his polygraphs (which he failed). Then, the judge essentially said, "OK, outta the pool."

Had it been my son, you can be sure he'd have been working off his butt in treatment and family-designed community service (I'm good at that!!). There's something not right in that family, however, IMO, and the teen was supported strongly in his denial (and still is). He made no progress whatsoever and the judge jailed him. He had years while he was sitting in the OYA to work on treatment, but he never did.

I want you to know that I now recognize the importance of long sentences. That's why I'm here, in many ways. When I linked up with Crime Victims United, I made it very clear that my politics were as liberal as they get but I'm tough on crime and conservative with my parenting.

This will probably knock your socks off and is a never ending sense of hilarity to my friends and family but I've been on the Lars Larson show. Hard to believe, if you know Lars. He was actually very kind and gentle with me even if he did refer to my "hippie political leanings". That should show you just how far I'll go to change the laws that protect victims!! I'm far more comfortable in a Senate Committee room or hugging a tree.

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070605/NEWS/706050316/-1/rss01

I want people to know how the victims/survivors experience this system. It's been a steep learning curve from the very first day, let me tell you.

PS And if you tease me about Lars, I won't answer. I'll flat out ignore the post. LOL

kbl--As I said, I agree. At the time, I was just glad to be done (or so I thought) and to have the validation of the convictions. Trust me, I did lie in bed and think "one day per child"? It didn't jive with the comments the judge made or the seriousness of the convictions. I think that the judge truly thought that this teen would work with the treatment plan (and our family had already been very clear that that was what we wanted).

At the time, I had no idea that the teen was actually a pedophile (or what a pedophile really was) and would surely keep re-offending. I've researched a lot and learned a lot in the last 12 years. If I knew then what I know now, I probably wouldn't have been so accepting.

The bottom line is that the judge threatened the teen with lock-up and he made good on it. He gave him a little more than three months to admit and go through his polygraphs (which he failed). Then, the judge essentially said, "OK, outta the pool."

Had it been my son, you can be sure he'd have been working off his butt in treatment and family-designed community service (I'm good at that!!). There's something not right in that family, however, IMO, and the teen was supported strongly in his denial (and still is). He made no progress whatsoever and the judge jailed him. He had years while he was sitting in the OYA to work on treatment, but he never did.

I want you to know that I now recognize the importance of long sentences. That's why I'm here, in many ways. When I linked up with Crime Victims United, I made it very clear that my politics were as liberal as they get but I'm tough on crime and conservative with my parenting.

This will probably knock your socks off and is a never ending sense of hilarity to my friends and family but I've been on the Lars Larson show. Hard to believe, if you know Lars. He was actually very kind and gentle with me even if he did refer to my "hippie political leanings". That should show you just how far I'll go to change the laws that protect victims!! I'm far more comfortable in a Senate Committee room or hugging a tree.

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070605/NEWS/706050316/-1/rss01

I want people to know how the victims/survivors experience this system. It's been a steep learning curve from the very first day, let me tell you.

PS And if you tease me about Lars, I won't answer. I'll flat out ignore the post. LOL

i actually have no clue who is he is so dont worry :)
i guess the problem im having is, he was convicted on the majority of the charges, so why did the judge need to base his sentence evaluation on him taking polygraphs?

The judge did not base his sentence on the rapist taking polygraphs. He sentenced him (or placed him under the jurisdiction of the court) to probation with the requirement that the youth successfully participate in and complete community based sex offender treatment (which conservatively could have been completed in two-three years).

When the youth failed to participate in the treatment, due to his continuous denial of any wrongdoing, the judge revoked the probation and locked him up. Part of the sex offender treatment milieu is admission of guilt and disclosure polygraphs. Youth failed at this and thus, was jailed. If the youth would have been 15, rather than 14 at the time of his crimes, he would have come under the jurisdiction of Measure 11. IIRC, he would have faced something like 76 years.

Lars Larson is a far right syndicated radio show host. If Lars is behind it you can be pretty sure I'm against it and vice versa. He was a decent fellow and we certainly saw eye to eye on child abuse.

http://www.larslarson.com/

The judge did not base his sentence on the rapist taking polygraphs. He sentenced him (or placed him under the jurisdiction of the court) to probation with the requirement that the youth successfully participate in and complete community based sex offender treatment (which conservatively could have been completed in two-three years).

When the youth failed to participate in the treatment, due to his continuous denial of any wrongdoing, the judge revoked the probation and locked him up. Part of the sex offender treatment milieu is admission of guilt and disclosure polygraphs. Youth failed at this and thus, was jailed. If the youth would have been 15, rather than 14 at the time of his crimes, he would have come under the jurisdiction of Measure 11. IIRC, he would have faced something like 76 years.

Lars Larson is a far right syndicated radio show host. If Lars is behind it you can be pretty sure I'm against it and vice versa. He was a decent fellow and we certainly saw eye to eye on child abuse.

http://www.larslarson.com/

thanks for the clarifications on everything :)
i dont listen to talk radio anymore cause either way it is slanted to the left or right......no middle groud.
intrestigly we have an election this tuesday to fill kennedy's senate seat here. given how we never seem to elect republicans anymore, i figured this was a foregone conclusion, but it actually appears the race might be a dead heat.........

I don't listen to any radio (except a Gourmet Oldies show every Saturday night of music from 1900-1960...very quietly) and have no TV. Because of my disability, I live in almost total. That was what was so ironic about me appearing on the Lars show. He's loud, out-spoken, and brash. I would never be disrespectful of Lars but my appearance proves to me just how far I'll go to get my point across. You know, kbl, if I thought it would help, I'd wheel myself across the country carrying a sign.

I'm watching your election.

i would be utteryl amazed if the republican (scott brown) wins. this state has leaned ridiculously to the left in the last 5 years. i think though that we are much like the rest of the nation.......we want immediate change, and if we dont get it, we vote more change lol.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back