BRITAIN raises security level to SEVERE

petra

Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100122/ts_nm/us_security_britain_alert

LONDON (Reuters) – Britain raised its international terrorism threat level to 'severe' -- its second highest level of terror alert -- from 'substantial' on Friday, Home Secretary (interior minister) Alan Johnson said.
"The Joint Terrorism Analysis Center has today raised the threat to the UK from international terrorism from substantial to severe. This means that a terrorist attack is highly likely, but I should stress that there is no intelligence to suggest =============snipped

I got a news alert about this.
How scary.
I certainly hope nothing comes of it...

I live in England and had not heard of it:eek:

Just read this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8476238.stm

Snipped from above
...It is in response to the perceived increased threat from international terrorism following the failed Detroit airliner bombing on Christmas Day.

Mr Johnson stressed there was no intelligence to suggest a terrorist attack was imminent.

The decision to raise the threat level was made by the UK's Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre (JTAC).

THREAT LEVEL SYSTEM
Low - attack is unlikely
Moderate - attack is possible, but not likely
Substantial - attack is a strong possibility
Severe - attack is highly likely
Critical - attack is expected imminently

Timeline: UK threat levels

Mr Johnson said JTAC kept the threat level under constant review, making its judgments based on a broad range of factors, including the intent and capabilities of international terrorist groups in the UK and overseas. ...

Scarey times guys, scarey times...

yikes
gosh - stay safe all our UK WS'ers!

Just heard that flights from Yemen are suspended.
Chatter is causing concern.
Upcoming Afghan mtg in London is potential target from Taliban threats.
Widening "watch" list at airport security.

I've been watching the evening news,waiting to hear about this. Nothing at all,they are really keeping this low key.

Just heard that flights from Yemen are suspended.
Chatter is causing concern.
Upcoming Afghan mtg in London is potential target from Taliban threats.
Widening "watch" list at airport security.

Jattekram Petra, min vann :blowkiss:

One thing we know too is they aren't telling everything they know, for security's sake. I wish them bloody success with their strategy. xox

I think cancelling flights is an excellent idea...and, selfishly, I hope that someone here in the states is taking notes...

They included a suspension of direct flights between the UK and Yemen and a "no-fly list" to prevent people with suspected militant links from travelling to Britain.
Mr Johnson said: "We still face a real and serious threat to the UK from international terrorism, so I would urge the public to remain vigilant and carry on reporting suspicious events to the appropriate authorities----------------------snipped from sky news

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Terror-Threat-Severe-Alan-Johnson-Warns-Attack-On-UK-Is-Now-Highly-Likely/Article/201001415533949?lpos=UK_News_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15533949_Terror_Threat_Severe%3A_Alan_Johnson_Warns_Attack_On_UK_Is_Now_Highly_Likely_

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/jan/22/terror-threat-raised-uk-severe

The escalation reversed a decision in July to downgrade the likelihood of a terror attack from "severe" to "substantial".
Johnson said the change was not ­specifically linked to the increased threat from international terrorism following the failed Detroit plane bombing on Christmas Day or to any other incident.
He said the Joint Terrorism ­Analysis Centre (Jtac), a unit within MI5, had taken the ­decision based on a broad range of ­factors, ­including the intent and ­capabilities of international terrorist groups in the UK and overseas.
Johnson said: "We still face a real and serious threat to the UK from ­international terrorism, so I would urge the public to remain vigilant and carry on ­reporting ­suspicious events to the appropriate authorities, and to support the police and security services in their ­continuing efforts to discover, track and disrupt ­terrorist activity."
He said the public should be reassured by the UK's "very adept and very focused counter-terrorism" services.................................................snipped

Jattekram Petra, min vann :blowkiss:

One thing we know too is they aren't telling everything they know, for security's sake. I wish them bloody success with their strategy. xox

klem og hilsen tilbake scandi--jeg skall skrive norske til deg!!!!
eller kram och puss--det er lenger tiden min svenske venn --jeg hoper alt er bra med deg.......

yes--i hope there are no more terror incidents anywhere,anytime!!!
what a way to live-i have almost forgot what it was like to live in the time before these threat levels...........

klem og hilsen tilbake scandi--jeg skall skrive norske til deg!!!!
eller kram och puss--det er lenger tiden min svenske venn --jeg hoper alt er bra med deg.......

Yes, I hope there are no more terror incidents anywhere,anytime!!!
what a way to live-i have almost forgot what it was like to live in the time before these threat levels...........

Amen Petra, I remember well the terrorist subway attacks in London in 2001 and was so impressed with how the Brits handled the problem

PS: I think I know the jist of what you said. LOL I'm half Norske and half Svenska. xox

We are waiting over on YT for the Olympics terist threat to be severe here in US. It is ramping up everywhere it seems. God Bless the UK! And all of us. Hang In.

We are waiting over on YT for the Olympics terist threat to be severe here in US. It is ramping up everywhere it seems. God Bless the UK! And all of us. Hang In.

Yes, the Olympics.. All of these large venues and events now scare the begees out of me ---I really don't think I will go to one again. Sorry to say.
I use toalways be up for an adventure or a "happening" but much rather watch on TV from home. Better coverage, safer and cheaper too!!
Maybe it comes with age--because I sure don't want the terrorists and thier threats to win.
Let us hope for a safe and wonderful Olympics for all--and for snow! Saw pics on what some of those ski areas looked like--YIKES--let it snow!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back