Identified! SC - Aiken Co., WhtMale 152UMSC, 35-40, suicide in motel room, Nov'97 - Name withheld

What do you guys think of the comparison between these two men? I think it could be a match. My only concern is the height (although it's only 1 inch off) and the scars.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/152umsc.html

and Dean Dawson:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1962dmny.html

The nose is what gets me. And the JD's connection to New York State.

The profile is pretty compelling, and they look alike in the direct view too. And this is in comparison to an un-decomposed body.

The circumstances suggest he was suicidal.

A 1" difference in height is insubstantial. My driver's license says I'm 6'0", although I am closer to 5'11".

I'd definitely go with it.

Wow, that does look like a close match, Aphra. Besides the nose, that long long jaw and receding hairline are right. And Dean was possibly despondent and could have become more suicidal.

Nice catch!

I submitted it to the Doe Network match panel. I know Rocky Wells is pretty conservative regarding matches, but I feel uncomfortable submitting it to the police myself. If push comes to shove I will, though. To me it's a pretty good match.

Also, it says the cap on his left front tooth is broken. You can see it in Dawson's photos.

And Dawson is not just from New York, but upstate New York - just as is speculated on the UID.

I think this is a match.

I see the broken cap, too. And upon close examination of the photos, I think I might have noticed some scars on Dawson. But who knows...a year and a half elapsed between the time of disappearance and possible death, so anything could have happened.

Aphra,

Rocky from the Doe is really good about getting back to you about potential matches... I have went to him many of times before I went to LE.

Good Job! The UID and Dean Dawson look very much alike. Hope you get an answer back soon!

I remember when this Doe was found in Aiken... I remember news outlets trying to get the man identified when he was found deceased. Dean Dawson really does resemble the sketch of this Doe... great find Aphra. Hope you hear something back quickly...

This is a match I've considered before, but John Doe has brown eyes, and Mr. Dawson has blue. I have confirmed with LE that Mr. Dawson has blue and the decedant had brown. I do understand why you made the connection between the two- they look a lot alike!

My only other potential match for this man (and its a long shot) is John Joseph Simons from Stony Brook, NY.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/simons_john.html
http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/gallery/ncmaprofile_all.php?A200300494S

I have post- mortem photos of John Doe- would you like me to post them? if you would can you add a graphic photo warning in the title?

well, darn. I was hoping there'd be a match. It was so close.

I was trying to change the topic title, but I'm not sure I can. I've done it before, but this time I can't find any way to do it.

Maybe we should search through some missing Canadians?

this is a match i've considered before, but john doe has brown eyes, and mr. Dawson has blue. I have confirmed with le that mr. Dawson has blue and the decedant had brown.

I know that photos can be deceptive, but zooming in on the three photos, it looks to me like his eyes are brown.

Only the side-view picture looks like they might be blue, but that picture is not clear enough.

DDawson Eye.JPGDDawson Eye2.JPGDDawson Eye3.JPG

Couldn't this be one of those cases where LE keyed wrong data into their MP report? I am not so sure that I would take LE's word for it unless they called in to the family to verify. Everything else fits so well.

I agree with Carl -- everything else is so close that it's worth verifying with LE that the data is correct. Even in the short time I've been trying to do this match thing, I've seen disagreement and errors in eye color.

It certainly won't hurt to submit it, the worst outcome is it's not him.

Perhaps a mod could help with the title.

Attachments

• 152umsc2yg.jpg
    152umsc2yg.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 245
  • 152umsc24qu.jpg
    152umsc24qu.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 212
I heard back from Rocky Wells; this match has been considered before but didn't pass the match panel, probably because of what's been discussed here (eye color).

Just looked at the eye color thing. That's pretty compelling. And honestly, it would just be a quick dental comparison to rule it out, since they both have dentals.

Carl, you have that classmates.com thing. I could not find this UID in Namus but as per the Doe Network profile the UID had this among his belongings:

A Watertown (NY) Cyclones, Class of '94 duffel bag.

If that was his graduating class, that would put his year of birth around 1976, or make him like 21 y.o. at the time of this guy's suicide, which is considerably below the age range of 30-40.

are there any guys in that graduating class (assuming you can find them) that match the aliases he gave, which were Jeffrey Daniel and Scott Black?

Carl, you have that classmates.com thing. I could not find this UID in Namus but as per the Doe Network profile the UID had this among his belongings:

A Watertown (NY) Cyclones, Class of '94 duffel bag.

If that was his graduating class, that would put his year of birth around 1976, or make him like 21 y.o. at the time of this guy's suicide, which is considerably below the age range of 30-40.

are there any guys in that graduating class (assuming you can find them) that match the aliases he gave, which were Jeffrey Daniel and Scott Black?

Classmates only publishes yearbooks from 1988 and prior. Classmates only has four Watertown HS yearbooks (1931, 1949, 1954, and 1986).

In the alumni listing, there is a girl with the surname Black from the Class of 1990, and three males with the surname Daniels (none named Jeffrey), but nobody with the surname Daniel (no "s"). Even so, the alumni listing would probably only include people who were alive after 1993, although there are exceptions to that presumption.

Classmates only publishes yearbooks from 1988 and prior. Classmates only has four Watertown HS yearbooks (1931, 1949, 1954, and 1986).

In the alumni listing, there is a girl with the surname Black from the Class of 1990, and three males with the surname Daniels (none named Jeffrey), but nobody with the surname Daniel (no "s"). Even so, the alumni listing would probably only include people who were alive after 1993, although there are exceptions to that presumption.

thanks. did not know the scope of the yearbooks.

I'll google around to see if I can find any info on past reunions from that class and if anyone was missing.

might not be our guy, but with a high school and graduating class year, it is worth a shot to snoop around.

assuming the link comes through, this page has 62 people who graduated in the class of 1994 (among the many others listed):

http://alumnihighschool.net/2011/02/watertown-high-school-york/

I got that # by searching "-1994" to eliminate those who started school in 1994.

ETA: I searched all the names in that particular link and there was one fellow surnamed Daniels, different first name starting with J but different graduating class. As for the surname Black, I guess we found the same woman.

I found the best I am going to find on this. there is a website that was organized for the 10 year anniversary of the WHS class of 1994. it contains names and email addresses of members of the class. (not sure how current some are). here is the link:

http://www.alumnilocate.com/forus/ShowThread.aspx?ID=52&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

about 1/3 of the way down is a post with all the missing classmates. no one with the last name of Daniel or Daniels, and no one with the last name Black, although one person is listed with the surname Blacke.

This one is a bit of a stretch, but any thoughts on Daniel Fraher to this UID?

NamUs: https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/show/7387
Doe Network: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1507dmil.html
Charley Project: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/f/fraher_daniel.html

Daniel disappeared nearly a year to the date that John Doe (JD) committed suicide and JD did not appear to have been a drifter for long (per Doe Network). One of the names used by JD was "Jeffrey Daniel" so there is an overlap in names. He gave false information so the birth date is likely false, but month and date-wise, is only two days difference from Daniel's.

Description-wise, they both seem to have strong cheek bones and while Daniel's photo is not a side profile, it appears that he has a strong nose, too. JD's nose is a bit beaked. Both have brown hair swept from the same side and brown eyes. A quick search online seems to show that Daniel left family behind when he disappeared. JD seemed to want to leave his past behind him.

The biggest problems I see are age (Daniel would have been 8 years older than the upper range estimate for JD), the distance between where Daniel disappeared and JD was found, what he was doing in that one year, and Daniel's height is three inches off JD's estimated height. I think Daniel's photo seems to have a bit of a chipped or stained tooth, but on the right side and adjacent to the front teeth. I also cannot find any link between Daniel and New York or Canada.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire
Back