GUILTY AZ - Corrina Davis for child abuse, Mesa, 2010

BeanE

Inactive
Reaction score
Website
casesignal.wordpress.com
Mesa woman arrested after 2-year-old found locked in closet

Last Update: 3:27 pm

Mesa Police Sgt. Ed Wessing said a Mesa justice court constable went to the apartment near Longmore Street and Pecos Road around 5 p.m. to serve the notice.

When no one answered the door, the constable went inside to secure the apartment and lock the residents out and as he checked for occupants, he noticed a chair against the bedroom door preventing it from being opened from the inside.

When he went into the bedroom, the constable found the 2-year-old boy in the closet sleeping on a mattress.

snip

the boy had bruises on his face, ears and hip. He also had a chipped tooth and bruised lip.

snip

Wessing said Davis admitted to leaving her son in the closet while she went to work, saying that her boyfriend told her he'd be home in 20 minutes.

http://www.abc15.com/content/news/s...-old-found-locked/Gum0Tp3-zEGNMauerUOR1Q.cspx

Oh, my heart just breaks for the little guy. Hopefully, he'll be warm and safe and fed tonight. I'll bet that Constable was mighty thankful that he went in to check the house. Even though the little fellow was probably terrified, I imagine the Constable knew just what to do to calm his fears.

Oh, my heart just breaks for the little guy. Hopefully, he'll be warm and safe and fed tonight. I'll bet that Constable was mighty thankful that he went in to check the house. Even though the little fellow was probably terrified, I imagine the Constable knew just what to do to calm his fears.

I second your comments. This little guy has had an unfair start in life.

If society wants to do right by this child than he should never, ever, have to see, let alone live, with this woman again.

Aveion, Gabriel, Marc, Hasanni......we should not be finding this little ones name on that list next year.

If society wants to do right by this child than he should never, ever, have to see, let alone live, with this woman again.

Aveion, Gabriel, Marc, Hasanni......we should not be finding this little ones name on that list next year.

No kidding! I am sooo incredibly tired of the bio parents rights overriding the best interests of the child!

I pray this little guy has a new start in life and either his mother seriously gets her crap together or he finds a forever home with a loving family. Who would leave their kid alone? Go to work late, but never leave your kid alone!

Just a comment from a Mom of many. I've seen the heart-warming outpouring of love and care for the thousands of Haitian orphans. Their needs are many and I applaud all attempts to help them. We've adopted once from Haiti and I've traveled there several times to bring other children out. My husband is actually preparing to go to Haiti to work in the rebuilding. But, please.....if you are considering adopting or fostering a child, consider adopting here in the states.

Our family was so put off by the ridiculous red tape that we adopted twice from Korea and once from Haiti before we got "tough" enough to wade through the nasty gauntlet of domestic adoption. Isn't that sad? There are over 400,000 children just like this poor little guy on the track for adoption in the states.

If you can't adopt or foster right now, consider volunteering to help ferry foster kids to doctor appts., do respite for adoptive parents, or even make a small donation to your local foster parent's association or Children's Advocacy Center. It's the least we can do. All the world's children deserve our concern. They are our future.

Trust me, I tried my best. I couldn't adopt them all. There's plenty of wonderful and unique and challenging and vibrant children to go around!! You too, can have a kid, who doesn't look a thing like you and who has gifts which could have never come from your gene pool, calling you from college to tell you how criminology class and soccer practice went and "Oh, by the way, I love you Mommy". I'm the most fortunate woman alive.

Your boyfriend is going to be home in twenty minutes?

So, you lock the kid in a closet? How do you justify that? What do you say? "Look sweetie I have to go to work, but Fred will be home in twenty minutes so get in that dark, dirty closet and I'll lock you in"?

What if there was a fire? What if some freak broke in? Plus who do we blame? Mom or "Fred"? It's obvious she's not taking responsibility.

On top of the locking him in the closet, it is obvious that he is being beaten because of the bruises. I dount this is the first time they have done this. i hope he finds a good home away from her.

My little one will be two in a week. I don't even close the bathroom door because I don't want her out of my sight for a minute. Leaving her alone for 20 minutes? Never. The mom's story sounds fishy and weak. I think the baby is probably put in the closet for a long longer than that and on a regular basis.

That story just makes me sick. I hope they get that little boy into a loving home and that he can overcome the abuse he has already had to endure.....

Aw, that poor little guy. My baby turns two tomorrow. Like Mr. E, I don't let her or my 4-year-old out of my sight. I can't imagine how upset she would be being locked in a room alone, not being able to get out. That's so sad. I hope he gets a good home with people who will show him what it's like to be safe and loved.

The fact that he was sleeping on the mattress instead of hysterically banging on the door makes me think he is used to this.
20 minutes....yeah, like 10 times a day.

I hope she rots and the child overcomes. Poor little one. My two year old freaks out if his bedroom sticks a little in the morning. Locking him in a closet, even when I badly needed child care, didn't even cross my mind. Sick, sad, pathetic excuse for a mother.

How many employers would be understanding of taking your two year old with you and letting him hang out until the BF showed up--in an emergency, of course? I know there's some who wouldn't tolerate it but many would. Trade off child care time with a neighbor you've checked out. Call the local DHS office and look into child care vouchers. There's a million ways to deal with a challenge every parent faces quite frequently. There's a lot more to this story than 20 minutes. How'd this little guy get the chipped tooth and the bruises? DHS knows how to tell the difference between innocent bruises and abuse. We've not heard the entire story yet.

How many employers would be understanding of taking your two year old with you and letting him hang out until the BF showed up--in an emergency, of course? I know there's some who wouldn't tolerate it but many would. Trade off child care time with a neighbor you've checked out. Call the local DHS office and look into child care vouchers. There's a million ways to deal with a challenge every parent faces quite frequently. There's a lot more to this story than 20 minutes. How'd this little guy get the chipped tooth and the bruises? DHS knows how to tell the difference between innocent bruises and abuse. We've not heard the entire story yet.

miss izzy im scared to death this will become another 'why didnt dhs do something' case in a few years. :(

I have an idea. My husband always cringes when I say that as he never knows if he'll be leading a convoy down south to rebuild after Katrina or on the next plane for Haiti. But I think this might work for a lot of people here on WS. We all just ache when we read these stories. There's so little we can do other than send up prayers or strong thoughts and to bear witness for these children and other victims.

Most families set aside some money for charity or a tithe in church. We always have and the amount has fluctuated with the economy and the construction industry. Several years ago, though, we decided to get up close and personal with the money we donated. We formed what our extended family calls the L**** Benevolence Society. There's probably 20 adults in our family who participate and it's totally informal.

We do a couple of unique things. First, we stopped all birthday and Christmas presents (except for the under 8 yr. olds). We share a big family dinner instead. Then, instead of just writing a check to the local United Way or Habitat for Humanity (both great charities, BTW) we look for personal things we can do. One year it was buying a nice but used car for a very hard-working person who'd fallen on hard times, then there was the Biloxi three months, 6 months of groceries for a seriously injured person with no insurance, and so on. One of us will see a need and we'll present it to the others and everyone pitches in. Most of the time it's money or a needed item (a few washers for new single moms) but it has been massive amounts of volunteer time--when you count up the total pool. One other kind of fun thing is that it's always done secretly so the recipient rarely knows who gave them something. We only ask that they "pay it forward".

Our family has a huge interest in kids and animals. We used to write a yearly check to the Children's Advocacy Center and the Animal Shelter. Now, what we do is send in small amounts when something happens which touches us. I'm going to send in a small donation today to the CAC in this child's honor. When a friend's beloved pet dies, we send in a small donation to a favorite rescue group in the animal's honor. We also have a couple of people who our vet privately bills us for. When a person go to pick up their pet's meds, they're just sitting there, already paid for. When the Mohler case broke, I sent in a donation to a local rape crisis center. Same with the Bradley case.

Everybody is watching their money right now but I'll bet most WSers still set aside some money for charity. It really doesn't matter if you set aside $50 or $1000/year. It's been much much leaner for us this year but we just toned it down. We still do it. So why not break it down and make it more personal and heartfelt? I've checked and charities have NO problem with $5/10/20 checks. Grocery stores, vets, drug stores, restaurants, Sears delivery guys all love to get in on the fun without giving away the secret. That way, you really do feel as if you are responding to a need in honor of someone's suffering or struggle.

It's worked great for us and we've had a lot of fun doing it. Just a suggestion.

You know, kbl, I am too. I think an important thing we can all do is to let our state DHS depts. (or whatever jumble of letters they choose this month) know that we are watching. Send an email to the director and say you are watching with interest and concern. Copy it to the editor of your local paper. Pay attention to the legislation which funds child welfare and the oversight process.

DHS has always held this shield of confidentiality and that is going to have to change at some point. There's just too much secrecy IMO. I think frequent short emails from "concerned citizens" on cases just like this let the agency heads know that they can't keep us in the dark forever. These kids are all our concern as we're getting ready to hand the reigns to them within the next few years.

Even posting on WS and checking back on threads keeps these nasty stories fresh. We owe these little kids that.

Sadly, this hits way too close to home. My sweet girl, who is currently a "Craigslist adult services provider", was left unattended with her baby brother for days at a time in a California motel while her birth-mom prostituted. Thankfully, a motel maid finally called LE and the little ones (aged 6 and 3) came to us as we'd already adopted their two cousins.

Those girls have to turn the tricks to get the crack and to keep the pimps happy. Tragically, the babies come in dead last.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back