If Baez is not allowed to touch KC..why is Lyons allowed to touch KC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

affinity

Reaction score
I searched for the answer...and did not see it. Please merge if a prior query exists.

I've noticed Lyons is "comforting" KC in court, putting her arm around her and so forth. Isn't this exactly what Baez has been ordered not to do? Why is Baez not allowed to offer KC physical overtures of "comfort" ...while (apparently) Lyons is?

Another reason could be that the innappropriate behavior was happening at the jail, and not on camera such as we see with AL. And the behavior at the jail seemed more like hugging and holding hands, as opposed to what AL is showing - more comforting and arm around the should kind of touching.

I wonder why AL feels she needs to comfort and hover over Casey as she does. Is it because she perceives Casey as being in need of comfort? Is she projecting her own neediness onto Casey? Or is it simply for the cameras?

ETA: Or is it as some here have theorized: to control a potentially volatile client?

Cause someone has to control that girl. Seriously-or she will jump off a cliff emotionally and do herself some real harm in the eyes of the public. She is not well known for her self control, right?

Where has Baez been prohibited from comforting his client in court? Can someone show me that is the case? Thanks

I think and a few other posters mentioned this is a ploy to humanize Casey or to have her appear more human, that she actually has emotions and needs comforting - practice for the murder trial when we will all see an "innocent mother who has been wrongly accused of killing her child" and "look how she suffers". Casey has had some pretty honest media reporting about how she lacks feelings and/or remorse and looks angry and kinda crazy. Gotta change that image, y'know.

Obviously Baez can't do it - because of his reprimands and because he doesn't seem to know what appropriate fatherly touch about. Can you see him hugging and touching her in court when in the media he's referred to Casey as "my girl"? And as a second, yes, I think Lyons is sitting closely by in case she does need restraining.

I searched for the answer...and did not see it. Please merge if a prior query exists.

I've noticed Lyons is "comforting" KC in court, putting her arm around her and so forth. Isn't this exactly what Baez has been ordered not to do? Why is Baez not allowed to offer KC physical overtures of "comfort" ...while (apparently) Lyons is?

To me it's obvious....JB is male, AL female. Besides that...I have seen comforting/motherly gestures from AL but no "flirty-giggly" stuff from AL like we saw going on between JB and KC in court (and out of court) at the beginning of the case.
However prejudice it might seem.....there is a different perception between an older woman comforting KC and what used to go on between KC and JB IMO. MOO

I need someone to link that Baez cannot comfort KC in court so I can leave this thread open. thanks.

Cause someone has to control that girl. Seriously-or she will jump off a cliff emotionally and do herself some real harm in the eyes of the public. She is not well known for her self control, right?
I believe you are correct. The Lyon moves look like restraining rather than comforting. During the last hearing she wasn't chained at the feet and the guards moved in like a triangle when she got up to stand at the podium.

I think the poster who started this thread did not differentiate between touching in court or not. The subject seemed to be, imo, why has AL not been reprimanded for physical contact while JB has been reprimanded.

I believe that JB was reprimanded about all the touching before the hearings started in which KC was brought to court.

JB is a male with a very young wife - not only did his behavior seem inappropriate to many, but it made KC behave inappropriately as well in many eyes. Since AL has come on the scene, KC is not acting flirty, making eyes at him and playing little pen games. The tone of the interaction between her and her attorneys has changed considerably.

I still think AL had a long talk with her about comportment in court and emphasized what is at stake. She probably does feel the need to humanize her (or remind her with a touch to not become angry). JB may have gotten the same talk because I notice he is much more business-like when he interacts with her.

I seriously doubt there is an issue -or that there is a rule - it is more knowing that neither JB nor Casey conduct themselves "court appropriately" once touching starts. Both seem to become "flirty" with side chuckles, pen throwing, etc. It me looks like Lyons has had some serious discussions with Baez, because JB doesn't touch her at all, so much so it seems odd.

Did anyone watch the Melanie McGuire case? Man, those two (attorney and client) were all over each other (okay, I'm exaggerating a bit). Especially at the verdict. He either had his arm resting on her chair, or hand on shoulder. I didn't see anything wrong with it -- he was humanizing her.

I believe Baez's lack of contact, eye, emotional, or otherwise, dehumanizes Caysey.

Now I disagree with her flirting, it's just wrong. When I saw her toss her pen on his paper, to me that was a flirting action. She was all giggly at the moment. But if she's crying and he wants to hand her a tissue or pat her on the shoulder, I see nothing wrong with that.

And for this question, I'm putting all case facts aside. I'm just looking at the client/attorney relationship. Now it just seems way too cold for me. Even Geragos consoled Peterson when he absolutely, positively had too (which wasn't very often).

MOO

Mel

I don't think there is an issue about JB touching KC in court? :waitasec:

Neither do I. Baez was reprimanded by officials at the County Jail but I have heard nor read anything about it relating to when they are in court.

I think the poster who started this thread did not differentiate between touching in court or not. The subject seemed to be, imo, why has AL not been reprimanded for physical contact while JB has been reprimanded.

I believe that JB was reprimanded about all the touching before the hearings started in which KC was brought to court.

JB is a male with a very young wife - not only did his behavior seem inappropriate to many, but it made KC behave inappropriately as well in many eyes. Since AL has come on the scene, KC is not acting flirty, making eyes at him and playing little pen games. The tone of the interaction between her and her attorneys has changed considerably.

I still think AL had a long talk with her about comportment in court and emphasized what is at stake. She probably does feel the need to humanize her (or remind her with a touch to not become angry). JB may have gotten the same talk because I notice he is much more business-like when he interacts with her.

IMHO, Jose was banned from contact with Caysey in the jail, and not in court. He was not reprimanded by the judge in anyway (unless you can provide a link for that). I did find the following jail link:

"Orange County jail policy forbids any kind of touching between visitors and inmates. Mr. Baez was cooperative and agreed not to repeat the behavior. Mr. Baez has always been professional and cooperative in his interactions with the Orange County Corrections Department," jail spokesman Alan Moore said in a statement.

http://www.wftv.com/news/17854568/detail.html

I hope I don't have to eat my hat if he was reprimanded in court ;)

Mel

Did anyone watch the Melanie McGuire case? Man, those two (attorney and client) were all over each other (okay, I'm exaggerating a bit). Especially at the verdict. He either had his arm resting on her chair, or hand on shoulder. I didn't see anything wrong with it -- he was humanizing her.

I believe Baez's lack of contact, eye, emotional, or otherwise, dehumanizes Caysey.

Now I disagree with her flirting, it's just wrong. When I saw her toss her pen on his paper, to me that was a flirting action. She was all giggly at the moment. But if she's crying and he wants to hand her a tissue or pat her on the shoulder, I see nothing wrong with that.

And for this question, I'm putting all case facts aside. I'm just looking at the client/attorney relationship. Now it just seems way too cold for me. Even Geragos consoled Peterson when he absolutely, positively had too (which wasn't very often).

MOO

Mel

I've also been quietly wondering to myself in the last couple of months because Baez's demeanor towards Casey has changed so dramatically if Baez, after some "get real, Jose" talks with M. Lyons, coupled with the actual discovery of the body has finally admitted to himself that his client is obviously, blatantly guilty. And he has further realized he hasn't a rats a$$ chance in he** of winning this case. So he's just really ticked off with her.

I think he was initially quite smitten with her and actually believed she was innocent.

But as a prisoner in the courtroom with jailers responsible for her would the jail rules not still apply to her specifically. I know there was talk when KC first appeared in court as to why she could not touch or hug her parents and it was stated that KC as a prisoner and is not permitted to have contact with anyone in court. So I would imagine the rules are bent a little when it comes to the attorneys sitting with her at the desk but she would not be able to go and hug her parents. That is what I understood.

We saw KC put her hand out to shake Mort's hand in court the other day but I would be willing to bet you will not see her do it again as I imagine they were told quietly it's not permitted.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member