CT - Rip Torn charged with breaking into Conn. bank

Missizzy

Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100130...5bl9oZWFkbGluZV9saXN0BHNsawNyaXB0b3JuY2hhcmc-

"Actor Elmore "Rip" Torn has been charged with breaking into a Connecticut bank and carrying a loaded handgun while intoxicated.

State police say the 78-year-old Salisbury resident was arrested Friday night after police found him inside the Litchfield Bancorp with a loaded revolver.

The "Men in Black" actor has been taken into custody and booked on charges including burglary and possession of firearm without a permit. He is being held on $100,000 bond and is scheduled for a Monday appearance in Bantam Superior Court.........."

Wait. Is this the guy who runs around throwing confetti all the time?

Him?

You can't make this stuff up. You just can't.

My first reaction? RIP TORN IS STILL ALIVE???

I could've sworn he'd be 114 by now.

Well, I, for one, can't wait til we get the mug shot.....

My first reaction? RIP TORN IS STILL ALIVE???

I could've sworn he'd be 114 by now.

Well, I, for one, can't wait til we get the mug shot.....

Here I'll wet your whistle, Tapu. This mug is from 2006 when Rip Torn collided his wheel into a tractor trailer. He refused a breathalyzer.

Note people I know this is not funny. This guy could have killed someone in either of these incidents. However, I mean I can't not put his mug up here. Click away, Tapu and be prepared. I think it's like 110.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/mugshots/riptornmug1.html

Wait. Is this the guy who runs around throwing confetti all the time?

Him?

You can't make this stuff up. You just can't.

You're thinking of Rip Taylor. Rip Torn is an actor. He's really good. Was the boss in Men in Black, the producer in The Larry Sanders Show, the dad of the family in the swamp in Cross Creek, among many other roles.

Wow, I'm surprized. I had never heard of any of the other run ins with the law. Isn't he related in some way to Sissy Spacek?

Wow! This guy is the bad guy from Conan!!

Wow, I'm surprized. I had never heard of any of the other run ins with the law. Isn't he related in some way to Sissy Spacek?

Yeah, he's Sissy Spacek's cousin, and he was married to Geraldine Page. I feel bad that he seems to have this alcohol problem now that he's old. I really like him as an actor.

Here's a long profile of him from The New York Times Magazine from a few years ago -- lots of interesting inside information in this!
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/07/magazine/07torn.html

You're thinking of Rip Taylor. Rip Torn is an actor. He's really good. Was the boss in Men in Black, the producer in The Larry Sanders Show, the dad of the family in the swamp in Cross Creek, among many other roles.

Thank you so much Steadfast. I thought he really looked different in that mugshot.

O.K. I got who it is now. Danka.

I'm still not sure who he is but dang, a 78 year old should be relaxing in his rocking chair, not breaking into banks!

bizarro world

Here's the explanation for this incident.
. . . the well-refreshed Dodgeball actor seems to have mistakenly thought the bank was his own home. After his key failed to open the front door, Torn seems to have broken in through a rear window and promptly passed out.
On the other hand, he has been known to get into some serious scrapes over the years:

. . . In 1970, on the set of Maidstone, he famously attacked important director and co-star Norman Mailer with a hammer . . . Mailer retaliated by biting his ear, and drawing blood.
. . . Only a decade ago, Torn successfully sued his former colleague Dennis Hopper. . .
Hopper had told Leno that Torn was sacked after pulling a knife on him in a restaurant. Torn . . . claimed Hopper was responsible for pulling the knife. A judge agreed, and awarded him $475,000 damages.
, , , In 2004, he was arrested for refusing a breathalyser test after crashing his car into a New York taxi.
. . . In 2006, he collided with a tractor in New York State. . . . In 2009 . . . police spotted him driving his 1994 Subaru estate, with a Christmas tree strapped to the top, in the emergency lane.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...ywood-hellraiser-and-bank-robber-1885175.html

Here I'll wet your whistle, Tapu. This mug is from 2006 when Rip Torn collided his wheel into a tractor trailer. He refused a breathalyzer.

Note people I know this is not funny. This guy could have killed someone in either of these incidents. However, I mean I can't not put his mug up here. Click away, Tapu and be prepared. I think it's like 110.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/mugshots/riptornmug1.html

Thanks!, that's some real mugshot goodness. Bet he looks even better after 3 more years of hard drinking.

I have to add this: There but for the grace of God go I... in 30-so years....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100201...DeW5fbW9zdF9wb3B1bGFyBHNsawNhdHRvcm5leXJpcHQ-

Attorney: Rip Torn heading to rehab after arrest

"Rip Torn was so intoxicated when he broke into a Connecticut bank carrying a loaded gun that he thought he was home, taking off his hat and boots and leaving them by the door, according to court records.

The 78-year-old actor was wearing the same battered boots Monday when he was arraigned on several charges after spending the weekend in a police holding cell near his hometown of Salisbury, in northwestern Connecticut.

Torn, who did not enter a plea, was released on $100,000 bond a few hours later and waded through a phalanx of media to a friend's waiting vehicle. He smiled and wished onlookers a nice day but did not answer questions about the arrest.

He is expected to enter an alcohol rehabilitation center in New York as early as Tuesday, according to his attorney."

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress
Back