GUILTY NY - Laura Cummings, 23, disabled, tortured & killed, North Collins, 21 Jan 2010

Texas Mist

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Laura Cummings did not deserve the life she endured. :(

Autopsy reveals woman tortured to death
Mother and brother arrested in woman's death

Updated: Saturday, 30 Jan 2010, 8:13 PM EST
Published : Saturday, 30 Jan 2010, 4:27 PM EST

Authorities have made an arrest in the case of a North Collins murder and it was the young woman's own mother.

Investigators believe her mental and physical disabilities played a role in her death.

Captain Ronald Kenyon of the Erie County Sheriff's Office said, "We've never seen anything quite as horrific as what we've seen in this investigation."

Authorities were suspicious immediately after finding a 23 year old North Collins woman dead.
"We find evidence of abuse going back to 1995. Physical and mental abuse also." Captain Kenyon said.

Neighbor, Rebecca Lee explained, "Her mom was kinda mean to her."

Neighbors saw the way Eva treated her disabled daughter.

Robert Lee said, "Somebody had walked by and the daughter was looking over at her and Eva didn't like it so she just snatched her by the back of the head and took her in the house, right by the hair."

Young Rebecca said she would visit Laura, who didn't get out of the house very often.

"She always looked lonely so I went over to see how she was. She was real nice," Rebecca expressed.

Investigators said that Child Protective Services had been called to the house in the past, but found nothing unusual. :banghead:

Captain Kenyon said sadly, this is a case that fell through the cracks.

"Perhaps a lot of people had a hunch of what was going on, but I think everybody, unfortunately, thought that somebody else was taking care of it," he said.

more here

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/crime/Autopsy-reveals-woman-tortured-to-death

RIP Laura :rose:

Ya know, I am getting really sick of CPS never doing there jobs... I know that they are understaffed and lack proper funding, but how does that excuse the fact that they went to this house and did nothing to help this poor girl?

Stories like this make me sick... I would love to know what kind of "training" these CPS staffers are given before they are allowed out into the field. (I know that there are good people who work for CPS, who go above-and-beyond, and to them I am sorry for my little rant. This is not directed toward them.)

It just seems like animal services takes more time & care looking at animal abuse cases than CPS spends on protecting children...

I'm sorry-WHAT???

A mentally and physically disabled woman being beaten and suffocated and burned with boiling water??? By her mother and brother???

For 15 years?

I want to slap the spokesperson for the police department, no offense...Yeah guess this one just slipped through the cracks....guess everyone thought that everyone else was taking care of it.

This did not slip through the cracks. This woman was tortured and beaten for at least 15 years by her caregivers. Clearly no one gave a cra*. Because even though the poor soul had regular visitors and there was a history of reports, mom was comfortable enough to hurt this child in front of others....

Why is brother not being charged with the full boat as well??? Gotta be coming...

MOTHER CHARGED WITH MURDERING HER DISABLED DAUGHTER

The medical examiner ruled she was killed by three means: the final straw was suffocation, but she also had blunt force trauma and thermal burns to her face," said Capt. Kenyon at today's news conference.

Police say those "thermal burns" were caused by boiling hot water thrown in Laura's face allegedly by her brother Luke. Kenyon says their investigation further revealed a disturbing pattern of physical and mental abuse dating all the way back to the mid-nineties.

http://www.wkbw.com/news/local/83173467.html

Rest in peace, Laura.

I am sick and tired, as well as disgusted with hearing the statement, "this is a case that fell through the cracks."

It seems as if our child protection agencies have WAY too many cracks and not enough caulking to fill up the cracks!

Are we going to hear an outcry?? Why isnt CPS already issuing a statement? Who has been put on administrative leave?

Right-Laura was a disabled adult. So at some point, it didnt matter any more. Except to Laura of course. What a life. OMG, what a life.

I am speechless..............unfrickenbelievable!

I know, I know...step away Believe-but I am waiting just waiting to hear what kind of disability this poor soul had that made blunt force trauma, thermal burns and suffocation an effective form of treatment.

Like chaining someone to a bed and leaving them when a fire starts.

Are we going to hear an outcry?? Why isnt CPS already issuing a statement? Who has been put on administrative leave?

Right-Laura was a disabled adult. So at some point, it didnt matter any more. Except to Laura of course. What a life. OMG, what a life.

I really don't think I could handle reading just who got PAID leave right now............:furious:

Autopsy reveals woman tortured to death
Mother and brother arrested in woman's death

Updated: Saturday, 30 Jan 2010, 8:13 PM EST
Published : Saturday, 30 Jan 2010, 4:27 PM EST

Authorities have made an arrest in the case of a North Collins murder and it was the young woman's own mother.

Investigators believe her mental and physical disabilities played a role in her death.

Captain Ronald Kenyon of the Erie County Sheriff's Office said, "We've never seen anything quite as horrific as what we've seen in this investigation."

Authorities were suspicious immediately after finding a 23 year old North Collins woman dead.
"We find evidence of abuse going back to 1995. Physical and mental abuse also." Captain Kenyon said.

Neighbor, Rebecca Lee explained, "Her mom was kinda mean to her."

Neighbors saw the way Eva treated her disabled daughter.

Robert Lee said, "Somebody had walked by and the daughter was looking over at her and Eva didn't like it so she just snatched her by the back of the head and took her in the house, right by the hair."

Young Rebecca said she would visit Laura, who didn't get out of the house very often.

"She always looked lonely so I went over to see how she was. She was real nice," Rebecca expressed.

Investigators said that Child Protective Services had been called to the house in the past, but found nothing unusual. :banghead:

Captain Kenyon said sadly, this is a case that fell through the cracks.

"Perhaps a lot of people had a hunch of what was going on, but I think everybody, unfortunately, thought that somebody else was taking care of it," he said.

more here

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/crime/Autopsy-reveals-woman-tortured-to-death

RIP Laura :rose:

I can't stop crying, and her supposed protectors did this to her. Who could even do this to anyone or anything:furious: I cannot imagine what that poor woman went through and hopefully this is a death penalty case. I hope they enjoy the warmth of he11 for eternity.

RIP

I did a little reading on scalding thermal burns.
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/769193-overview

It isnt just the burn, it is the metabolic effect of the burn including increased output of everything...and need of everything. Heart beats faster, lungs need more oxygen etc...right, cause she was suffocated too. Wonder what the order was. Please God, that when he pitched the boiling water, she was already unconscious.

How base do you have to be to do this to your own? I dont get it. I never will get it I am sure.

Multiple agencies saw Laura -- and did nothing apparently!! :furious:

<snip>

Investigators say although she was 23 years old, Laura was described by family and friends to have the mental capability of a seven or eight year old child.

North Collins officials tell YNN, Laura's brother Richard Cummings filed a complaint back in July. He was upset about how he felt Laura was being mistreated by the family. Child Protective Services came out to investigate but when they realized the victim was 23 and disabled, Adult Protective Services came out to investigate a month later.

http://buffalo.ynn.com/all-regions-...rrested-in-north-collins-murder-investigation

How could anyone just walk away from Laura and do nothing???!!!

from same link-

Eva Cummings has been in the hospital since her daughter’s death. Sherriff’s deputies arrested Eva when she returned home Friday night, along with her son Luke Wright.

“The mother’s been arraigned. Her charges are murder in the second degree. The brother of the victim has been arraigned on charges of assault in the first degree,” said prosecutor Thomas Finnerty.

Hopefully the murder charges will be upgraded to a capital offense & Eva rots in prison. And Luke, too!.

Where is CPS/DHS? You all know where they are. They're in meetings to address "this tragic event". We'll get a "report" in about two months and exactly one or two heads will roll. This is so much like Jeanette Maples story in Oregon that I want to spit. Poor Laura's mom was "kinda mean." Kinda mean??!!

So often I see neighbors and family hesitant to speak out if they know a victim is disabled in some way. Do they rationalize that the parents know best or that the victim is too disabled to understand? Call it in and have the agency check and then call it in again.

I don't get it. Abuse is abuse. An adult yanking someone by the hair would get hauled off for domestic assault. Since when is that an appropriate way to move even a very cognitively disabled non-compliant person? If the person cannot be successfully maintained in a home environment, they need to be placed in a higher level of care.

Our family is certified to provide foster care for developmentally and physically disabled teens. We are seeing a frightening trend. Many families of origin are relying on the teen or young adult's SSI check in this economy and are keeping their family member in the home when it would be far better to have them enter skilled foster care. It's shocking at how tremendously critical a situation usually gets before parents will agree to voluntary placement. That's my guess with what happened here.

And now we have a dead young woman. Rest, Lady Laura.

So often I see neighbors and family hesitant to speak out if they know a victim is disabled in some way. Do they rationalize that the parents know best or that the victim is too disabled to understand? Call it in and have the agency check and then call it in again.

I think neighbors are scared to call it in because of any retaliation or backlash. The fact that she was disabled makes this so much harder to read. I'm sure she understood what was going on.

Even in cases like Bianca Piper who was mentally disabled and had anger issues. Her mom made her walk home one night when she was having a tantrum and then never came home. To me, that's abuse as well.

I don't understand how parents can hurt or kill their own children, its mind blowing. I hope they enjoy prison.

Where is CPS/DHS? You all know where they are. They're in meetings to address "this tragic event". We'll get a "report" in about two months and exactly one or two heads will roll. This is so much like Jeanette Maples story in Oregon that I want to spit. Poor Laura's mom was "kinda mean." Kinda mean??!!

I don't get it. Abuse is abuse. An adult yanking someone by the hair would get hauled off for domestic assault. Since when is that an appropriate way to move even a very cognitively disabled non-compliant person? If the person cannot be successfully maintained in a home environment, they need to be placed in a higher level of care.

Our family is certified to provide foster care for developmentally and physically disabled teens. We are seeing a frightening trend. Many families of origin are relying on the teen or young adult's SSI check in this economy and are keeping their family member in the home when it would be far better to have them enter skilled foster care. It's shocking at how tremendously critical a situation usually gets before parents will agree to voluntary placement. That's my guess with what happened here.

And now we have a dead young woman. Rest, Lady Laura.

One of her brother's reported the situation, CPS goes out, then APS goes out to a whole friggin' month later.

So -- why is Capt. Kenyon saying that everybody thinks somebody else was taking care of Laura's well-being???

TWO AGENCIES KNEW as recently as last July that we know of at this time.

At a minimum, the APS agency let her fall thru the cracks if they were the last to see her.....I'll never believe there were not signs of abuse at that time!! :furious:

Ok-sorry to quarterback here agencies-but Richard calls in July and says that family is abusing Laura.

No one asked him her age at that moment so that the correct agency could come out to see what was going on? Apparently not and it took another 30 days give or take to get someone else out there.

I wish we could do an informal review of staff size-'cause I am going to have to start pointing people to law enforcement instead of this kind of agency. I mean, what if Richard had called the law and said his sister was being assaulted inside the home. At least they could have pointed the correct agency in a timely fashion, right?

Mom you killed off your cash cow-ten to one they were both living off of Laura's disability checks. Well, I guess mom and brother will no longer need to worry about having to take care of the bills....the state of NY will be handling that for them.

Welcome to WS, Lover. Agreed that making a disabled child walk home because she was acting up is abusive. Completely and utterly.

To Izzy's points-I am unsure why you get a pass if you are related in some fashion to your victim, but you do. Any form of "domestic violence" is considered a different animal from assault and battery of a stranger.

Can you imagine what would happen if I grabbed you by your hair and dragged you somewhere for looking some place???

What gets me boiling here is that the agency can throw up their hands, say that they couldnt find any abuse...regardless of the fact that there were 15 years of reports mind you. Ah well, better luck next time, you did the best you could with the staff you had, the budget you worked with, the computer system that didnt put it all together for you.

Can you imagine if someone ran a hospital this way? States are going to have to start getting malpractice type insurance for these agencies. I mean they are all powerful in so many ways but they scrape the bottom of the barrel sometimes for staff and support-what gives?

I get that case workers frequently do the best they can. The down side is that the collateral damage here, the children who are tossed about, the chances are these children will die a terrible, prolonged heinous death. In the cases where the agency is wrong, a child will be raped and/tortured.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back