CA CA - Mickey Guidry, 16, San Marcos, 26 Nov 2009

summer_breeze

Reaction score
missing teen | East County Magazine

December 22, 2009 (Anza Borrego)

San Diego Sheriff reported on December 18 that Mickey Guidry, 16, has been missing since November 26th when he ran away from his parents home in San Marcos. Guidry reportedly took his parents 1995 Jeep Cherokee without permission. On November 30th, the Jeep was located unoccupied in an extremely remote area of the Anza Borrego Desert.
D3C56B03-9FF3-4C9C-A156-E084FD7F0E77.jpeg
<MOD NOTE: Several original links throughout the thread were broken and have been edited to include the current link (when available) and images as of March 13, 2023>

Last edited by a moderator:
http://eastcountymagazine.org/node/2826

WHAT HAPPENED TO MICKEY GUIDRY? SAN MARCOS TEEN WENT MISSING THANKSGIVING WEEKEND NEAR OCOTILLO CAMP IN ANZA-BORREGO; WHEREABOUTS REMAIN A MYSTERY

Questions raised over early handling of case; no major search mounted for weeks after Jeep SUV found disabled 22 miles off-road in remote desert locale

By Miriam Raftery

February 25, 2010 (San Diego’s East County) - Grounded for stealing his stepfather's motorcycle and going joyriding November 20th in a Riverside County park, 16-year-old Mickey Guidry (also called Mike or Mikey) took his parents’ blue Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV on Thanksgiving to join friends who were camping at 5454 Split Mountain Road in Ocotillo Wells. He left camp at 3 p.m. on Friday, November 27th—and hasn’t been seen since. Now ECM has learned that this wasn't the first time the teen has gone missing. Sheriff officials are treating the case as a runaway--but the boy's mother fears her son may be the victim of foul play.

Reactions: byo
i dont recall seeing a case with so many conflicts between LE, witnesses & the parents, as this one.

the statements made by LE are DISGUSTING (IMO)
when being called out by the mom for not searching for her son
LE said this:
If it was my kid, I would have had my own search team out there 24/7immediately, he noted.

mom probably missed the handbook on how to do a search in the desert when your son goes missing.

<modsnip: broken link/FB page no longer active>

questions for you all:
what are the steps needed to look for cell phone pings?
is that even possible if the battery is dead?

does anyone on here have experiences with the desert?

i find it semi hard to believe this kid would have gone off the road by himself to take a short cut across the desert. that seems overly risky when he didnt even have a drivers license. also the family that last saw him alive- are being very vague. (see above article)

Home / News / Local News / San Marcos
SAN MARCOS: Volunteers search for missing teen
Search for Mickey James Guidry, 16, at Anza Borrego State Park to continue Sunday

By MORGAN COOK - mcook@nctimes.com | Posted: March 20, 2010 8:02 pm

The family of missing San Marcos teenager Mickey James Guidry harnessed a recent surge of community support this weekend to renew their search for the 16-year-old boy in the desert where he was last seen in November.

Mickey's family and friends joined about 80 volunteers Saturday to scour the Anza Borrego desert where the family's jeep was found Nov. 28, undrivable with his wallet and other belongings inside, according to a Facebook page devoted to finding Mickey. A smaller group planned to continue the search Sunday, organizers said.

Interest in the boy's disappearance surged after Moe Dubois, father of slain Escondido teenager Amber Dubois, 14, asked the public to focus its efforts on Mickey's case.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...ily-in-Search-for-Missing-Teen--88763827.html

Updated 9:16 AM PDT, Sun, Mar 21, 2010
NBC San Diego

The family of missing San Marcos teenager Mickey James Guidry harnessed a recent surge of community support this weekend to renew their search for the 16-year-old boy in the desert where he was last seen in November, the North County Times reported.

Mickey's family and friends joined about 80 volunteers Saturday to scour the Anza Borrego desert where the family's jeep was found Nov. 28, undrivable with his wallet and other belongings inside, according to a Facebook page devoted to finding Mickey. A smaller group planned to continue the search Sunday, organizers told the paper.

Still no sign of Mickey

"Crawford said the family appreciated the volunteers’ efforts, especially the help of Moe Dubois, who was instrumental in getting searchers organized. Dubois’ daughter, Amber, disappeared while walking to school Feb. 13, 2009. Her remains were found March 5 in a remote area off Pala-Temecula Road "

I'm very familiar with this area we live about an hour and an half away. We had friends who were rangers there, one of whom was a flight student of my husband's so we would spend many weekends hiking around and flying over the park.

Few things about the park; it is the largest state park in the US and it is surrounded by BLM land. The area is very, very vast. Flash floods can wash down from the nearby mountains even when the sky above the spot you're standing on is below blue sky.

It can be hot and dry even in the winter. Mountain lions range there and it is not unusual to see one. Even during the most visited times in the park, you can find remote camping without other people around.
Nights in the winter are very cold, the temps in Nov. could have gone from 70+ in the daytime to 39 at night, hypothermia is a constant danger for someone who isn't prepared for it.

There are areas in the BLM land off-limits because of unstable and unexploded ordinance from WWll training (Patton trained there).

My gut feeling is that the kid tried to walk out and didn't make it out alive and his body has not been found yet. People who are dehydrated, who have heatstroke or with hypothermia can walk quite a way from the spot where they were first lost at and they don't often follow a logical route. He might have stayed with the jeep until night, gotten cold and confused and walked away, which would explain why his wallet and other item were left behind.

As to why law enforcement didn't start a search right away, I think much of it had to do with what the mother told them about the kid's prior behavior. Not excusing le, I happen to think that any missing kid should be an Amber alert, just saying that the mom also thought that the kid was joy-riding and would return.

i totally agree
& that has also been my gut feeling on this case.

thank you for the insight on the area, that helps a lot.
xo Pam

One year later, and still no word...

Sixteen-year-old Mickey Guidry of San Marcos vanished a year ago deep in the Anza-Borrego Desert.

The Jeep Cherokee he had stolen from his parents on Thanksgiving Day 2009 was later found disabled on a rugged trail nearly eight miles from the nearest highway.

He remains missing today.

Boy's disappearance in 2009 still a mystery

Two years ago 16-year-old Mickey Guidry disappeared deep in the Anza-Borrego Desert.

Since then, nothing. The San Marcos boy has vanished without a trace.

Still missing.

That weekend, hikers in Fish Creek Wash found the SUV broken down. One of the wheel rims was severely banged up with the edges crunched rendering it useless. A side mirror was ripped off as well. Inside the Jeep were Mickeys wallet and cellphone charger but not the phone. Records would show it was never used again.

The SUV had broken down near an established hiking trail 7.8 miles south of state Route 78. About 1.5 miles north of the Jeep, searchers found a blanket that had been in the SUV. Then they discovered a cover for the Jeeps spare tire near the top of a hill not far from where the blanket was recovered.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back