US - study shows drop in child abuse

Missizzy

Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_child...DeW5faGVhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDYXBuZXdzYnJlYWt1

US study shows drop in child abuse

"A massive new federal study documents an unprecedented and dramatic decrease in incidents of serious child abuse, especially sexual abuse. Experts hailed the findings as proof that crackdowns and public awareness campaigns had made headway.

An estimated 553,000 children suffered physical, sexual or emotional abuse in 2005-06, down 26 percent from the estimated 743,200 abuse victims in 1993, the study found......"

Fabulous news if this pans out but we've still got our work cut out for us.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_child...DeW5faGVhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDYXBuZXdzYnJlYWt1

"A massive new federal study documents an unprecedented and dramatic decrease in incidents of serious child abuse, especially sexual abuse. Experts hailed the findings as proof that crackdowns and public awareness campaigns had made headway.

An estimated 553,000 children suffered physical, sexual or emotional abuse in 2005-06, down 26 percent from the estimated 743,200 abuse victims in 1993, the study found......"

This is great news and I truly hope this is accurate. However, how many cases are there that are just ignored by local social services or are just not reported?

well if cps claims it's not abuse they wont be able to put it into the survey for another few year.

from MissIzzy's link:

However, she was troubled to find that more than half of child maltreatment incidents are not investigated by child-protection agencies.

So half are not investigated, and goodness knows how many reports aren't even documented therefore not included in the 'not investigated', IMO. (You know, as in "we have no records that abuse was reported for <insert name here>.)

I would love to think this study is accurate but I'm very disturbed about the 'not investigated', as well as what we know as the 'investigated - no problem found' which could distort the study's results (again, JMOOOC).

Sorry for being so cynical .... I have to wonder who may have gotten a huge raise & promotion based on this.

It's just hard to look at a silver lining after learning of the tragic lives of Jeanette Maples, Laura Cummings and so many others.

I agree TexasMist.

I would also like some background on the stats used to compile this report. Is a child counted after "no abuse" is found, but the child ends up dead?

And given all the threads on our boards, I have to say my instincts tell me this report is inaccurate :( It would be nice if it were true.

Salem

The study specifically mentions sexual, physical, and emotional abuse. What about negelct? Honestly, having ties to the field, that's what I would classify the majority of the cases as. Child not being taken care of instead of being hurt. I would guess, simply from what I've seen, that neglect cases have stayed steady or increased, not decreased.

the problem with these "studys" is that alot of the information can be discredited because they simply can't slot it into a neat little category.

While it's nice to think the abuse stats have dropped, it just doesn't seem feasable, it could be because of lack of staff, there may have been more reports than they could of attended to.

does the morbidity & mortality count in the studys at all?

it's a shame to be cynical about something so positive, but it seems a little too much wishful thinking to me...

Did they count the children that were murdered? Missing?

How about the ones that weren't reported? How do they know which ones are suffering from mental abuse?

Seems to me I read more and more of abuse then ever before.

Next they'll say killing of spouses is down....

This should also be in News That Makes You Smile!

As a general rule, I don't give much credence to statistics because I think you can "prove" just about any damned thing. But, I will say that my perceptions and beliefs line up with the indications of this study.

Particularly concerning child sexual abuse - we are so much more educated and informed today than we were just two decades ago. All around, children today have more rights and garner more respect and loving adult attention than they have in the past.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
L1752
Back