Iraq - Saddam Hussein, for crimes against humanity, Halabja, 1988

Rocky

Former Member
Reaction score
hi everyone, I was looking around for a thread on Saddam's trial, if we have one I'm sorry, but this is one the whole world will be watching...

Kurd Poison Gas Victims Demand Death for Saddam

"HALABJA, Iraq (Reuters) - Kamil Qadir, lungs wrecked by a poison gas attack on Halabja 16 years ago, sat glued to his television to watch Iraq's Saddam Hussein in the dock for that and other atrocities committed during 35 years of Baathist rule.

Qadir was 15 when chemical bombs landed on this Kurdish town near the Iranian border in 1988, wiping out his entire family and leaving him with severe burns and respiratory problems.

On daily medication, he still suffers flashbacks from the attack which killed more than 5,000 people.

He smiled wryly when an Arab news channel showed people in Saddam's hometown of Tikrit challenging the legitimacy of the tribunal that outlined charges against the ousted president on Thursday.

"They don't know what real problems are," he said between coughing fits. "I have no pleasure in life because of my lungs.

Seeing Saddam in front of an Iraqi judge provides only limited satisfaction, he said. Like many in Halabja, he is not convinced any trial will bring real justice.

"Those defending Saddam do not know him, but neither do those who are judging him," Qadir said.

"Saddam killed 5,000 people here without a trial and now people talk about justice for him. And where is the justice for the foreign companies who supplied him with materials for his chemical weapons, or the Western politicians who supported him?"

Saddam appeared to shrug off responsibility when the Halabja attack was listed at Thursday's hearing among charges that could lead to a formal indictment for genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity.

"Yes, I heard about that in the media," he said.

Halabja residents worry that Saddam might escape the death sentence, a penalty which many view as insufficient. Iraq's interim government is considering restoring the death penalty, suspended during the U.S.-British occupation.

"I don't think Saddam will be executed, but people from Halabja want him chopped up into pieces," said Ibrahim Hawramani, manager of the Halabja monument center established in 2003 to commemorate victims of the gas attack.

The center contains an exhibition of harrowing photographs taken in the immediate aftermath, showing streets littered with twisted corpses, mostly women and children.

'WEST SHARES RESPONSIBILITY'

According to Hawramani, more than 200 foreign companies have been identified as suppliers of materials for Saddam's chemical weapons. They and everyone else who facilitated the crimes of the regime should be prosecuted, he said.

"America brought Saddam -- they provided him with money, supported him against Iran (in the 1980-88 war) and then used his Baath party as a weapon...they have no excuse," he said.

Survivors of the Halabja attack have provided testimony from over 7,000 witnesses which they hope will help convict Saddam.

The testimonies were collected by the Anti-Chemical Weapons Society which supports victims' families and documents evidence.

"We are worried that Saddam won't be given the death penalty," said Aras Akram, a member of the society who lost his parents and 10 other close relatives in the attack.

Akram said many survivors still suffered from blindness and breathing problems and that there were high rates of colon cancer and infertility among Halabja's male population.

"We're trying to draw attention to these problems but until now no specialized doctors are working in the area," he said.

On the streets of Halabja, Saddam's court appearance brought jubilation at his humiliation, but concern that he would not receive the punishment residents believe he deserves.

"We are very afraid that he won't face the right justice," said Qadir Ahmed, who also works at the monument center. "But when we see him broken it gives us great satisfaction. He should be executed as a common criminal."

Ahmed helped bury 1,500 people in a communal grave after the attack, which killed his father, three sisters and two nephews. Ten years later his mother died of gas-induced nerve disease.

Despite losing a brother last year to illness caused by the chemical bombing, 40-year-old carpenter Batyal Hazar expressed rare support for the trial process.

"To see Saddam in front of a judge is the wish of all Kurdish people," he said.

"Of course Kurds are unhappy Saddam should get a trial. But the United States is democratic and looks at guilty people and then gives them a chance. We should be like that.""

hey Lance,

what kind of secrets do you expect to come out during Saddam's trial?

Saddam trial hears of horror in Room 63

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Men and women were tortured for days and babies left to die in an interrogation facility which featured a meat grinder for human flesh, the first prosecution witness to face Saddam Hussein told the court on Monday.

After weeks of delay and legal arguments over security and the legitimacy of the court, the trial of Saddam and seven co- defendants on charges of crimes against humanity heard confusing but graphic witness evidence of torture and summary execution.

"I swear by God I walked by a room and on my left I saw a grinder with blood coming out of it and human hair underneath," said 38-year-old Ahmed Hassan, who said he had been kept in room 63 at the Hakmiya intelligence headquarters in Baghdad.

Hassan, the first witness to face Saddam in court, said he was 15 when Saddam visited the village in July 1982 and Shi'ite militants tried to assassinate him...

is Ned tying nooses yet?

Scum. I hope that he is tortured to death. It was good enough for his people. So, it is good enough for him. Also, why isn't this Barzan in prison??

The wood chipper he fed people into feet-first in front of their families sticks out in my mind. That, and the German Sherpherds/Dobermans trained to rape female prisoners.

nanandjim said:
Scum. I hope that he is tortured to death. It was good enough for his people. So, it is good enough for him. Also, why isn't this Barzan in prison??

I was wondering the same thing...

It's no fair my Brother in Law Barzan has the same name and died from the weapons Saddam used on the Kurds...

and this guy is walking free?

I read an article on this "grinder machine" some time back. His sons used it frequently. People were lined up one after another and placed in the grinder. If they were liked, they went in head first (quicker death). If they really wanted to torture them, they went in feet first.

I'll have to look for the article. It was rather graphic and left me wanting to throw up, but the horrors of what those people suffered is heartwrenching. I had no idea things were soooo bad there. It put things into perspective for me on why our troops are over there.

ETA: This is not the article I had read before, but states what I posted above.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,92618,00.html

Qusay also oversaw Iraq's notorious detention centers and is believed to have initiated "prison cleansing" — a means of relieving severe overcrowding in jails with arbitrary killings.

Citing testimony from former Iraqi intelligence officers and other state employees, New York-based Human Rights Watch said several thousand inmates were executed at Iraq's prisons over the past several years.

Prisoners were often eliminated with a bullet to the head, but one witness told the London-based human rights group Indict that inmates were sometimes murdered by being dropped into shredding machines. Some prisoners went in head first and died quickly, while others were put in feet first and died screaming. The witness said that on at least one occasion, Qusay supervised shredding-machine murders.

On another occasion, a witness said, an inmate's foot was cut off in a prison torture room while Qusay was present.

"The amputation had been carried out with a power saw during his torture under the direct supervision of Qusay ," the witness told Indict.

Oh my gosh. I had no idea about this either. This makes me want to throw up. :sick:

I just read this one today"

"A woman testified in the trial that she was assaulted and tortured with beatings and electric shocks by the former president's agents. Later, at the end of the session, when the judges decided to reconvene Wednesday, Saddam suddenly shouted that he would not attend. "I will not return. I will not come to an unjust court! Go to hell!" Saddam yelled.

At Abu Ghraib, the guards stripped one of her male relatives, a deaf mute, and tied a rope to his genitals, pulling him into the cells where the women were kept, she said. Insects were everywhere — in cells and on their clothes, she said, adding that inmates used prison blankets to make underwear and fashioned shoes out of cardboard and strings.

She said one woman gave birth in the prison. "The baby got stuck between her legs. Another woman tried to help her, but the guards told her it was none of her business. The baby suffocated between her legs," she said. She said her sister and sister-in-law also gave birth while in detention. "I was freed at the end when I was 20," she said. "All my friends became doctors and teachers, and I am now just a housewife."

More: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051206/ap_on_re_mi_ea/saddam_trial

:( This is all so terrible.

I'm surprised he didn't get Bagdad Bob on his defense team...

I am floored by this information.

Saddam Hussein AND his minions ought to have these things done to them.

Dogs that rape women??? Meatgrinders?? Allowing babies to die? I am at a total loss of words ...

I wish burning in hell isn't all that will happen to his black soul when his number is finally called.

Cupcake said:
I am floored by this information.

Saddam Hussein AND his minions ought to have these things done to them.

Dogs that rape women??? Meatgrinders?? Allowing babies to die? I am at a total loss of words ...

I wish burning in hell isn't all that will happen to his black soul when his number is finally called.

He stormed out after all this information came out and said he's not coming back...

Does he still think he is President?

Personally, I'd like to see Saddam and his men tied to stakes and evetyone in Iraq given the opportunity to inflict some sort of pain on them. With all the people Saddam and his men have tortured and killed, it has had to effect about everyone there. They should all have a chance to inflict that sort of pain on them.

I will look for those other links if anyone is interested. It truly is gutwrenching. Never have I read about more sadistic treatment. Absolutely disgusting.

In his home town of Tikrit, they've taken to the streets supporting Saddam in protest over the trial...

Do you think they read the same news reports we read?

Rocky said:
He stormed out after all this information came out and said he's not coming back...

Does he still think he is President?

Yep, Rocky, he does. He will never accept the fact that he's over. I was a bit disturbed reading what transpired today. I would have thought the Judge would have been much harsher with him. The Judge apparently didn't say anything to Saddam after that outburst - or if he did, it's not being reported.

With all the deaths surrounding this trial, I'm sure the Judge is scared out of his wits - not only for himself but his family as well.

They foiled one plan already that was to break Saddam out of custody...

Rocky said:
In his home town of Tikrit, they've taken to the streets supporting Saddam in protest over the trial...

Do you think they read the same news reports we read?

I read that. It saddens me. The way I see it, that's all some of these people know. It was a way of life for them. They were raised to think what Saddam did is ok because he was the president. Those that didn't agree, were tortured and killed. I'm sure there are many that still fear the man and his men and are afraid to go against them - hence the ones in the street supporting him.

PrayersForMaura said:
Oh my gosh. I had no idea about this either. This makes me want to throw up. :sick:
Me too! I knew Saddam & his regime were evil but this goes beyond what any thinking, feeling person can understand. Truly sickening. :(

He is evil in any way we can perceive as well as his sons. He murdered his own people for his self righteous brigade. There are some people who are beyond our scope. Human rights need to transcend these atrocities.His acting out in court only affirms my beliefs. He is stupid and arrogant and a murderer.Just a when common sense takes hold.

Jules said:
Personally, I'd like to see Saddam and his men tied to stakes and evetyone in Iraq given the opportunity to inflict some sort of pain on them. With all the people Saddam and his men have tortured and killed, it has had to effect about everyone there. They should all have a chance to inflict that sort of pain on them.

I will look for those other links if anyone is interested. It truly is gutwrenching. Never have I read about more sadistic treatment. Absolutely disgusting.
----------------------

I am glad the trial is in Iraq.I feel they will get him good!!They pull no punches.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back