Misty's attorney feels new developments are "unfortunate"

MADJGNLAW

Reaction score
Robert Fields, who represents Misty Croslin, told The Sun on Thursday that "the new developments are unfortunate.
Croslin, Cummings anticipate prison time, audio shows

Thursday, February 4, 2010

"Snip" http://www.gainesville.com/article/20100204/ARTICLES/100209695/1002?p=2&tc=pg&tc=ar

PG2
Palatka attorney Robert Fields, who represents Misty Croslin, told The Sun on Thursday that "the new developments are unfortunate. My goal is to do what I can for Misty."
"As her lawyer, it's not how I wanted to start my day," Fields added in regard to the release of the audio recordings.
The St. Johns County Sheriff's Office first released video recordings on Wednesday that showed Misty Croslin talking with her parents, Hank Croslin Sr. and Lisa Croslin, during recent jailhouse visits.
PG3

Meanwhile, a California bounty hunter who was involved in another high-profile child case -- the slaying of Caylee Anthony in Orlando -- has offered to bond Croslin out of jail if she gives him information about Haleigh's whereabouts.
Leonard Padilla also wants anything Croslin would tell him to be covered by the attorney-client privilege.
Fields said Thursday he would advise Misty Croslin to reject the offer.
“I’m going to advise her against it because I think it would really hurt her,” Fields said.

Well, we now know Field's take on LP bailing out Misty. This does not preclude her from talking to LP herself and striking a deal. If so LP better stay true to his word - no Haleigh, no get out of jail card. Misty is going to be pretty upset by her lawyers advice, she is "starving" and wants out pretty bad.

Gotta laugh at Fields - "not how I wanted to start my day". Pretty funny statment from a guy representing a self confessed drug trafficker. :)

I have to wonder what he meant by the "it would really hurt her" comment. Getting out would hurt her? Dealing with LP would hurt her? Telling what she knows about Haleigh would hurt her?

Frankly, any deal LP could make with Misty, I would imagine Fields could do better.

It doesn't look like Misty is going to get out anytime soon. They need to let her know. Perhaps that will help her memory.

"Unfortunate?" What? For Misty?
I'll tell you what is unfortunate, Haleigh has been missing for a entire year. The people who claim to love her, have not stepped forward to help find her. Her grandmother, TN, has professed to love her but all she has done is make excuses for her grown son, Haliegh's dad, who chose a 17-year-old girl on the downside of a weekend of partying to care for his children.
Her father has gone to the extent of marrying the girl who is suspected to be the last person to see Haleigh alive and getting a tattoo of his little girl on his leg. Some help !
And, the babysitter, Misty, has refused to cooperate with police to further the investigation saying only that she saw a three and the door was bricked. But, she did look under the beds.
The two of them spit in the face of authorities by conducting a business of selling and buying controlled substance all the while this little, now 6 year old, is missing without a trace.
Unfortunate? That's putting it mildly.
Misty should stay in jail. But she needs an education first from her attorney in order to know the amount of her bail, the possible years she can be facing behind bars and that the old saying "The Truth Shall Set You Free," is still valid.
jmo

It seemed to me in the phone calls that Misty spoke of her lawyer like she has finally realized that it might be a good idea to listen to him.

It seemed to me in the phone calls that Misty spoke of her lawyer like she has finally realized that it might be a good idea to listen to him.

One would like to think so, but I doubt it. In fact, I seriously doubt it.

Well, we now know Field's take on LP bailing out Misty. This does not preclude her from talking to LP herself and striking a deal. If so LP better stay true to his word - no Haleigh, no get out of jail card. Misty is going to be pretty upset by her lawyers advice, she is "starving" and wants out pretty bad.

Gotta laugh at Fields - "not how I wanted to start my day". Pretty funny statement from a guy representing a self confessed drug trafficker. :)

I am not sure that Misty will take all of Fields advice. She is desperate and wants out. She needs her fix and those pills she is getting in jail are not going to cut it for her. She has lost her freedom and her confidant. She is backed into a corner and I do feel she just may say something if not already. I pray! My fear is that she will continue to lie just to get a free out of Jail card. I to pray that Lenny sticks to his word. I could see Field's modifying Lenny's contract and accepting in fear Misty will do more harm to herself in jail with her big chatter box. There are many tapes that we have not heard and it may be to late..maybe she already said some pretty incriminating things. I also feel that DB will be the one that will have much to say about all the players.

[snip]
Fields said Thursday he would advise Misty Croslin to reject the offer.
“I’m going to advise her against it because I think it would really hurt her,” Fields said.

Respectfully snipped.

Revealing details about HaLeigh only hurts Misty _if_ she is involved in her demise. If Misty is just an accessory or part of the cover-up she can cut a deal. However, this is something that should occur between LE and her attorney though as part of a plea related to charges --- NOT bail.

It seems the strategy is to keep quiet and, if there is no body then there was no crime.

She might listen, but there's no guarantee she will remember what he says. Or that she can control herself long enough to keep quiet when she gets family calls. She's 18 and probably detoxing in jail. Like all addicts, she wants what she wants when she wants it.

I have to wonder what he meant by the "it would really hurt her" comment. Getting out would hurt her? Dealing with LP would hurt her? Telling what she knows about Haleigh would hurt her?

Frankly, any deal LP could make with Misty, I would imagine Fields could do better.

It doesn't look like Misty is going to get out anytime soon. They need to let her know. Perhaps that will help her memory.

Could be worried for her physical safety.

Or maybe he has a very good defense for the Haleigh part, but not all of her other shenanigans.

Or perhaps he's worried about public perception for her eventual trial.

Let's see. If Misty makes a deal with LP, "you get me out and I'll tell you everything I know". Certainly would make it appear she knows way more about Haleigh's disappearance than she's been claiming. If she gets out and claims up, a la Casey Anthony, it will smear her credibility with any jury (not that she has much now).

In jail, she's already talking too much about the drug deals. Outside, who knows what she'll jabber about.

Also on the outside, she may try to run. Bad news for her again.

The attorney knows she's a problem. We know she's a problem. She's already talking too much and hanging herself with the drug charges. Not talking about Haleigh keeps her out of court in a murder case for now but it certainly wouldn't help for her to make a deal with LP. "I'll talk". Looks bad. "Get me out and I'll spill." Looks bad. "I'm out and I'm not talking". Looks really bad.

There's no way this kid can win. Her attorney knows that. Getting out only makes her situation all the more precarious. Then there would be her availability to drugs.......

All the way around, not good for Misty.

Don't you think her lawyer should have started with, well I would like to start with my client is innocent until proven guilty. Looks like he realizes that this is not only going to be an expensive but losing battle.

How is it he was still being retained for her?

State of Florida, public defender fund, I imagine.

But in court, Misty was asked if she needed a lawyer, and she replied "I already have a lawyer" which says to me Mr Fields has been on retainer this whole time since her divorce, and not subject to funds in this PD office.

But in court, Misty was asked if she needed a lawyer, and she replied "I already have a lawyer" which says to me Mr Fields has been on retainer this whole time since her divorce, and not subject to funds in this PD office.

Does he do criminal?

He has been representing her since at least May from what I read on here [or some another forum. I did post remarks about him back in early June when I first heard he was her atty - much to some people's chagrin.]

i don't know how Misty paid for her lawyer in the past. I'm curious as to whether Mr. Fields was ok with handling the divorce and making a few comments on her behalf in exchange for his name getting out there in a few news articles. But this is a whole new ballgame. I would think he would expect to get paid for 8 drug trafficking counts. Does Misty even realize lawyers get paid and get paid good money? She may have just assumed Mr Fields was gonna stick around for this. I'm curious to see if he does.

i don't know how Misty paid for her lawyer in the past. I'm curious as to whether Mr. Fields was ok with handling the divorce and making a few comments on her behalf in exchange for his name getting out there in a few news articles. But this is a whole new ballgame. I would think he would expect to get paid for 8 drug trafficking counts. Does Misty even realize lawyers get paid and get paid good money? She may have just assumed Mr Fields was gonna stick around for this. I'm curious to see if he does.

I swear I thought that she did the divorce on her own, without consulting Mr. Fields. IIRC, she had her signature notarized by Ron's atty's secretary and that was that. Robbie was faxed a copy after the fact. I'll see if I can find that info anywhere, primarily to make sure I'm not the one who's confused.

Robbie fired her as a client (per what I've read on the 'net) until he found out who owned the phone he was trying to contact her on. [Her appearance on CBS Morning Show.]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back