VA - Walter Speller for child abuse, Virginia Beach, 2008

Texas Mist

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
The song in 8-year-old Isaiah Jones' heart is a joyful one.

"Bless the lord. I'm singing."

The young boy is full of love and energy.

Seven years have passed since police say Isaiah's father, Walter Speller, beat him so badly that Isaiah was left completely blind, partially paralyzed, and brain damaged.

It's a day Isaiah's mother, Khalisha Jones, will never forget.

"All I could do is kneel down on my knees and cry. I said he did this to my son," Jones said.

Walter Speller served two years in prison for nearly killing his own son. :furious:

After he was released he had another son by another woman. Police say two years ago Speller beat that son and his sister so severely he paralyzed them as well.

Walter Speller will be sentenced Friday, February 5 for his most recent violent beatings.

Khalisha Jones hopes this time the punishment fits the crime.

"With him doing this again, it just shows that he didn't learn his lesson the first time."

Walter Speller plead guilty to two counts of Aggravated Malicious Wounding last September.

He faces between 12 and 21 years in prison under the terms of his plea agreement. :furious:

He will be sentenced in Norfolk Circuit Court.

more here

http://www.wtkr.com/news/wtkr-walter-speller,0,570220.story

OK - I'm ready to run from the building screaming....WHY did this get only 2 years the first time???????????????????? :furious:

two years?????????????
so whats he get this time, 4?

I read this in our local paper about a month ago. This man (if you wanna call him that) disgusts me. I can't believe he only got two years either.

Isn't this our 3rd (or is it our 4th) father this month who's charged with the exact same abuse or murder of multiple children years apart? Women need to run background checks.

disgusting that paralyzing and blinding a child is only considered 2 years.....the kid has to live with this for the rest of his life. but dear old is out in 730 days?

Walter Speller Sentenced to 21 Years

An improvement, I guess, but these are the crimes where I think a judge/jury should get to be more discretionary in their sentencing. I can't say this was much of an improvement over murder.

they should cut his eyes out and beat him till he cant walk anymore. then it will be justice

Walter Speller Sentenced to 21 Years

An improvement, I guess, but these are the crimes where I think a judge/jury should get to be more discretionary in their sentencing. I can't say this was much of an improvement over murder.

TY for this new Mom....I wish he got more time, but at least he got more than a couple years.

Those poor kids - having nitemares & thinking of that evil thing that's supposed to be a dad a 'monster'.

I wish we could ship 'monsters' like this off to a 'sometimes' island.

omg.. so sad.

I am so afraid one of these days I'm going to log on and read about our neighbors and their twin babies. Born with weed in their system, DSS allowed the babies to go home with the mother as long as they stayed at a friend of the family's home and the friend promised to not leave babies alone with mother. "Friend" lied and left babies with mom and 16 year old daddy.. one of the babies ends up with broken leg, hospital says no way was that break an accident. 16 yr old dad took the blame (we all believe it's the "mom" and not dad. This chick is psycho... If he doesn't get up with the babies in the night she wakes him by biting him.. hard! you should see the bruises on this kids body. He's got this odd fixation with her, he allows her to do horrible things to him and keeps going back) and again nobody takes the babies from these people! "Dad" is forbidden to be around the children so he has to move back in with his mom and the entire time he is about suicidal worrying about the kids but still won't admit anything. Within a month the other baby has a broken leg and during blood test both test positive for Benzo's to which mom says "I'm on Xanax and no one ever told me I couldn't breast feed while taking it.. oops, sorry!" AGAIN the babies are still left in the home!

Sadly I think it's going to take something like this for someone to finally do something for these beautiful babies. This stuff makes my heart ache.

I have a question. I'm trying to think of the right way to ask...

Ok, wth was going on in these homes in general. Was he abusing the kids with impunity until they were paralyzed? Or did he just one day jump up and start smacking kids around?

<snip>

Khalisha Jones met Walter Speller when she was 16 years old and he was 20. He lived with his family just down the street.

"When we first met he was real cool," she said. "I started having a crush on him."

Her snapshots show a tall young man with long dreadlocks and a blazing white smile. He told Jones she was beautiful.

Before long she was pregnant. When she told Speller, Jones said, he told her to keep the pregnancy quiet because of their age difference. Speller disappeared until Isaiah was 5 months old. Around that time, Speller was convicted of misdemeanor receiving stolen goods in Virginia Beach.

I'm ready to be a father now, he told Jones and her mother, Angela Jones, when he returned.

Jones said she quickly grew to fear Speller. He hit her, she said. He forced her to drop out of school. She said Speller held her and her son prisoner in his house, ordering her to remain in a chair while he was gone, telling her she was not allowed to touch Isaiah although he cried in a car seat in front of her. He threatened to harm Isaiah if she disobeyed, Jones said.

Eventually Jones returned to her mother's house, but Speller continued to see Isaiah under court-ordered visitation after mediation, Jones said. She said Speller explained away the bumps and bruises on Isaiah's body: He fell. He got a bruise when I scrubbed his face with a washcloth.

Jones said she was at a church youth group meeting on Dec. 22, 2002, when she got a phone call. Isaiah was in the hospital.

Doctors did not expect him to survive.

Isaiah lay with tubes and wires all over his body, his head swollen like a watermelon. His legs and arms were rigid, unmoving. A ventilator breathed for him.

He was 14 months old.

more here -- and not an easy read....as horrible as the abuse was, it's just as hard to read what jurors had to say in his first trial.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/01/twiceconvicted-abuser-leaves-nightmare-his-wake

obviiously you dont need an iq test to be on a jury.
sat there and believed his crocidile tears.......saw the picurs o fthe poor baby ad still thought the guy was innoocents. i hope they see the other two kids faces every night they go to bed for the rest of they're miserable pathtic lives. and please, dont anyone defend them either. this is the kind of moronic people that let oj simpson and samathna runions killer walk............the kind of idiots who think a sadistic rapist holding women prisoner in a dungeon is just 'role playing'. and from my own experience, the fools who think a woman murdered a man she never even met.......

Court records show that Campblin and Speller's mother brought domestic violence charges against him. In April 2008, Speller's mother, Alice Calloway, sought an emergency protective order against him in Virginia Beach, saying that her son hit her while she was trying to keep him from assaulting Campblin. Police charged Speller that day with assaulting his mother and Campblin. Both the charges were later withdrawn.

Campblin left a battered women's shelter in May 2008 to join Speller and their infant son, Ohene, at a Norfolk hotel room. About a week later, she regained custody of her daughter by another man, 3-year-old Laniah.

Campblin testified that the hotel room she and the children shared with Speller amounted to a torture chamber. She said she was imprisoned, unable to leave without Speller's permission, unable to call for help. Speller routinely beat the children as she watched. She said she did nothing to intervene because she feared for her own safety, and that her children's beatings would be worse.

How did he get her to come back and share a hotel room with her??

Why wasn't the mother charged in the second case also?!!! She let that *advertiser censored* beat and torture her little girl while she stood by and did nothing and then gave this sick %^&( another child to torture.

Why wasn't the mother charged in the second case also?!!! She let that *advertiser censored* beat and torture her little girl while she stood by and did nothing and then gave this sick %^&( another child to torture.

can only assume police looked at her as another victim.
but i dont really buy that when she was away from him and in a shelter, and then she went back to him and took her kids.....if you wan to put yourself thru that kind of abuse, fine, but you have a duty to protect your kids

I read the final story on this in The Virginian-Pilot yesterday. Says he still has no remorse for what he's done.

Maybe he'll get a taste of his own medicine in prision.

I read the final story on this in The Virginian-Pilot yesterday. Says he still has no remorse for what he's done.

Maybe he'll get a taste of his own medicine in prision.

but a bunch of idiots on a jury bought his crocidile tears enough to give him 2 years........the other two kids conditions are on they're heads imo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back