GUILTY CA - Millicent Wilborn, 22 mos, beaten to death, Seal Beach, 17 Dec 2009

Texas Mist

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Seal Beach mom arrested in death of toddler

Monday, February 08, 2010

SEAL BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A Seal Beach mother of four was arrested Monday on charges of killing one of her 22-month-old twins and injuring the other.

Police say 31-year-old Linda Wilborn was arrested Monday when she visited her other three children who were placed in protective custody last December.

Prosecutors say Wilborn used "tremendous blunt force" on her daughter Millicent on December 17 while her husband was at work. At about 4 p.m., Wilborn called 911 to report one of her twins was not responding. The baby was taken to the hospital, but later died of a ruptured heart. Further examination of the toddler showed she had fresh and old fractures to her ribs.

Authorities say the other twin had a fractured skull. Wilborn is accused of physically abusing the twins between Oct. 17, 2009 and Dec. 17, 2009.

The other two children did not exhibit any physical signs of trauma.

more here

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/orange_county&id=7265894

Ya know, I don't go hunting down the sad, sad, stories of abuse & neglect...they just seem to keep rolling in tonite on my news feeds. :(

I think I'm done reading the 'news' this evening.

RIP little one....you don't have to hurt any more or have your heart broken. :rose:

If I'm not mistaken, she lived at the Naval Weapons Base in Seal Beach. Her husband DWilborn is listed as living there in the Family Housing area. I grew up about 8 miles south in Huntington and know that area well. Seal Beach is a bucolic, charming beach community but very spendy. The new Family Housing at the Naval Base is quite a "coups" to pull off as the location is perfect. This housing project is literally right on the surf.

So, she had an 8 month old, twin 22 month olds, and a 3 year old? Sounds like this mom was super overwhelmed and failed to ask for help. One would wonder why her husband, the other wives, and neighbors didn't notice anything. There had to be services available.

I don't often see military family kids taken into care but these were. It sounds as if this abuse was going on for a while. Why oh why did someone not notice the bruises??

Sadly, none of this helped in this case:

http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=27465

“We believe that deployed service members can perform better with the peace of mind that comes from knowing that their family is secure and happy,” she said."

and

“We have the best housing in the Navy,” he said. “It’s that personal touch. We have a lot of personal interaction with all our tenants, and in a lot of cases it’s on a first-name basis.”

I think that this is the right address but if it proves not correct, I'll delete. Let me know if someone finds something else.

Dammit. Again? Really?

WTH?
I know this is happening everywhere, but My God, what is this, one a day? And these are just the ones that make the news.

so the babies were being beaten for 2 months no one noticed? no one noticed?
you know as much as all these stories make my brain explode i fear the day when i open this thread and am not pissed off.......

Dammit. Again? Really?

WTH?
I know this is happening everywhere, but My God, what is this, one a day? And these are just the ones that make the news.

seems like a lot more then one a day :banghead:

Does anyone know of a resource for year to year rates of matricide, familicide, etc.? We all seem to be saying the same thing....what in heck's going on? I wonder if the rates are really going up or if the internet is just making the information more readily available. I'd really like to see some statistics. Not that I'll ever feel ever better.

I'm always so saddened when I hear that a twin or a multiple dies or is murdered. You just know that the other twin (or remember the little triplet girl late last year) will suffer that loss forever in a way most of us will never understand. Poor little ones.

I'm so hoping that these babies have some extended family step forward for them. There's a mention of Dad. What's going on with him?

so the babies were being beaten for 2 months no one noticed? no one noticed?
you know as much as all these stories make my brain explode i fear the day when i open this thread and am not pissed off.......

Not to worry - that day will never come. Won't happen. Doesn't happen even for the LE that investigate this stuff on a daily basis.

And that's a good thing - really.

Salem

Do you know........it has been a good thirty years ago and I so hope things are handled differently now BUT.......a friend asked me to go to a friend's house on military housing with her. The woman's twelve year old daughter had called and said that her mother had tried to commit suicide. No one would call the police except me. Anyway, we got there and there was ketchup smeared all over the walls of the living room. The woman was passed out in the bathtub. At first, we thought she WAS dead as her head and hair were spread out on the water and the three little children were all so hysterical. But she was alive; just passed out from booze. When the military police (MP) arrived, they had her taken to the hospital. Then they started to LEAVE!!!! I stopped them and asked them what was going to happen to the children. They told me to take them. I had never met the children before and they had NO idea who I was! I just could NOT believe this was happening and they told me to (really) go ahead and take them because they could tell I was worried about them and would take care of them. They never even asked for my name. If I had been older, I would have taken them just to see how it all played out but, at the time, I was afraid they would never find me again and I was too young to add three children to my family- LOL! Anyway, long story short, there is no extra support for our families in the military. The MP are even less likely to do their job than CPS or our city police. It just breaks my heart. I live in a Navy town..........there IS no support for these people!!!!!

Sheromom--That's a harrowing story. My Lord, you could have been anyone. I do wonder if things have changed at all. One of the ironies of this story is that Seal Beach is a small and close-knit community. I know the base (which isn't very large IIRC) is probably not as connected with the community as it could be, the military families still have each other. I find it terribly sad that this housing project was touted as so friendly and safe and supportive. How in heck could someone not hear those babies scream? And would the family been living on a weapons base if the Dad was deployed or was he present? How could he not know?

I just want to scream!!!! All of these poor babies being killed by parents breaks my heart. RIP little Millicent. I hope this "mom" suffers everyday before she burns in ****.

An update on the Linda Wilborn case. There were SO many red flags. Why didn't the social workers see the writing on the wall? Four young children, mental illness, separated from family support. This OCR article haunts me as you'll note the names of the books on the woman's nightstand. She must have known. One of those books, "Who Switched Off My Brain?" is on my nightstand. I just ordered it a couple of weeks ago as a special ed teacher/friend recommended it. It's intended to help slow the progression of loss of brain function. She knew. Her husband MUST have known. Her husband, the baby's father, sounds as sick as she is.

http://www.californiacriminallawyer...use-and-assault-in-death-of-two-year-old.html

http://www.ocregister.com/news/police-260428-told-wilborn.html

"....The records of Millicent's brief life – police reports, medical records and evaluations by social workers – paint a bleak picture.

Millicent was born Jan. 10, 2008, with a twin brother. The girl spent much of her time confined to the back bedroom of a sparsely decorated fourplex on the Seal Beach Naval Weapons Station...."

and

"....Millicent, her twin brother, and a sister – none older than three – were kept in that back bedroom with a child gate, while Linda Wilborn watched her 8-month-old son in another room. Linda Wilborn told police she would check on them four to six times a day...."

More at link (including snippets from prior DHS reports)

Just read the background on this horrific case. I am absolutely speechless at the level of sickness and denial in this family. :eek:

Dad makes Rusty Yates look like Father of the Year, IMO. :mad: He should have been charged with child neglect, at the very least.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arsongirlfriend
Back