Northern Illinois Earthquake Feb 2010

Cubby

fly the W!
Reaction score
GILBERTS — A small earthquake woke residents and shook furniture in northern Illinois early Wednesday, causing no major damage or injuries but startling people as far away as Michigan and Iowa.
The epicenter of the 3.8-magnitude earthquake was near the villages of Gilberts and Pingree Grove in Kane County, about 45 miles northwest of Chicago, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. The quake hit at 4 a.m. Sheriff’s dispatchers and the USGS were flooded with calls, mostly from residents saying they’d felt the quake.

more at link:

http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/article_25093028-1646-11df-9cc6-001cc4c002e0.html

Anyone else from the Northern Illinois area feel this one? I'll admit I did and I knew right away what it was. They always feel weird because we don't have them that often. This is the third time I can recall feeling one.

My son slept right through it, but it woke my mother and my 15 yr old nephew as well, and they too knew exactly what it was.

I have family in Westmont, they did not wake up during it but some of their neighbors did.

Another article.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100....html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsSecond

CHICAGO—A minor earthquake centered in a rural area about 40 miles northwest of Chicago struck in the early hours of Wednesday morning, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
After more than a foot of snow hit the Windy City, Chicago residents got a rude awakening with a 3.8 magnitude earthquake early Wednesday. Fox News's Peter Doocy reports.

The 3.8-magnitude quake could be felt as far away as Ohio and Missouri, said Julie Dutton, a geophysicist with the agency.
No damage or injuries were reported, she said, although the USGS did receive 10,000 reports from people who felt the quake. The agency estimated as many as 11 million people felt light shaking.

more at above link.

We felt it. Stranger, we heard it. Sat straight up in bed because I heard what sounded like a sonic boom or something. One man told me that he thought a snowplow had hit his house. He lives in different town. I didn't know what it was and went back to sleep after nothing else happened. In the morning, I turned on the TV and heard the news about the earthquake in Illinois.

They remind me of what it sounds/feels like when a truck drives down my very pot holed street. Just a shake rattle and roll for a few seconds... but at 4:30 am there was no truck driving down the street, so I knew..... Of course my 7 year old cried and cried why didn't I wake him? By the time I realized what was happening and went to wake him it would have been over, lol.

I've been to Gilbert, IL the epicenter. Right on 94.. and they have that big pumpkin farm... and some apple orchards the kids go on field trips out that way to pick apples.

It was not loud here in DuPage county. I didn't hear a thing, just felt it.

My family is from the Elgin area, they also said they heard it. Funny, most everyone's story has the snowplow/snowplow hitting the house as their first thoughts

I don't live in Kane County. My parents live in Cook County and say they didn't feel/hear anything.

I posted something about this in the "Bizarre and Off-beat News" thread...totally weird, and woke me up at 4:00 a.m.!

My mom lives in Gurnee and she said she woke up around then, but she thought anything she felt was just another snow plow.
I have not heard from my brothers in the downtown ,Northbrook, and Lake Bluff areas so I assume they missed it.

I posted something about this in the "Bizarre and Off-beat News" thread...totally weird, and woke me up at 4:00 a.m.!

I missed your thread and you started yours first. We should ask the mods to merge them.

Sorry, I should have looked first.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back