Casey is indigent? Now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Is Casey’s Defense Team Running Out Of Money?

http://www.wftv.com/news/22593225/detail.html

BSheaffer analysis
http://www.wftv.com/video/22593166/index.html

Wow. Kathi tells Ms. Sheaffer that Brad, mom and pop tried to hire a different lawyer for Casey, told him they had no money, she had no money but they could pay him with portions of any would be media deal. She names the lawyer. He would not agree to this, she continues, negotiations fell apart because they were never able to get close enough to Casey! ( meaning out of Baez's earshot.) Gosh she is good!!!

Casey was indigent when she was first arrested..
I firmly feel this is the reason we have heard nothing further from Dr. Lee and Kobi..
I wouldn't put it past the Anthony's to sell their souls to the devil, but honestly, after all this discovery, who is truly going to listen to anything they say? Wouldn't the media outlets know this by now?

Mr. Sheaffer explains that we should be seeing the wholesale taking of depositions...and none are being done. That speaks volumes, that indicates the defense is likely out of money.

Andrea mentioned in court in December that maybe they would declare her indigent. What are they waiting for? I don't get it.

My understanding is that it is illegal for an attorney to take a case on a contingency basis. Wasn't this part of the concern on the part of the prosecution about just how the defense was being paid?

Is Casey’s Defense Team Running Out Of Money?

http://www.wftv.com/news/22593225/detail.html

BSheaffer analysis
http://www.wftv.com/video/22593166/index.html

Wow. Kathi tells Ms. Sheaffer that Brad, mom and pop tried to hire a different lawyer for Casey, told him they had no money, she had no money but they could pay him with portions of any would be media deal. She names the lawyer. He would not agree to this, she continues, negotiations fell apart because they were never able to get close enough to Casey! ( meaning out of Baez's earshot.) Gosh she is good!!!

I saw that The World, but it really wasn't clear to me when this different lawyer was approached. Can you confirm if it was before Baez made the rights deal or has it been recently?:waitasec:

Maybe this is a good question for our legal experts . . . . but . . . . if the defense can't afford to depose the witnesses, isn't it possible that they cannot properly represent her? Is it possible that she could "walk"? Could it be considered a misstrial or something? (sorry, my grasp of legal-speak is sadly lacking)

Mr. Sheaffer explains that we should be seeing the wholesale taking of depositions...and none are being done. That speaks volumes, that indicates the defense is likely out of money.

Andrea mentioned in court in December that maybe they would declare her indigent. What are they waiting for? I don't get it.

I thought that was just rebuttal whining for some fees they were going to have to pay for the JK testimony. I didn't get the feeling they were serious did you?

If they declare her indigent, does the defense then have to show what money they had come in and justify how it was spent? Will we know how much Baez paid himself? Baez certainly wouldn't want this information to be public knowledge.

One more question -- if she is declared indigent, will the present defense team be able to stay on and be funded by the State? I've asked this question in the question and answer thread, but don't think if was ever answered. Does anyone know?

I thought that was just rebuttal whining for some fees they were going to have to pay for the JK testimony. I didn't get the feeling they were serious did you?

Yes, I did. I think it is painfully obvious they have no money. They have soooo many people to depose, they haven't made any steps toward getting started. Either they have no money or they are planning to have her plead guilty.

I think the money for the photos and videos is long gone.

I saw that The World, but it really wasn't clear to me when this different lawyer was approached. Can you confirm if it was before Baez made the rights deal or has it been recently?:waitasec:

Kathi states on the video that it was the A's with BC who approached the attorney .... so it was earlier on in the case but post the discovery of Caylee's remains when Brad was on board. About a year?

Yup...I think they're VERY serious. But, maybe they can get everyone to agree to do the work for nada.

Kathi states on the video that it was the A's with BC who approached the attorney .... so it was earlier on in the case but post the discovery of Caylee's remains when Brad was on board. About a year?
The whole thing makes me a little sad...here the As questioned the representation of their daughter...and what does Baez do...forbid Casey from seeing them...because of the Sunshine Laws...yeah, right. I wonder what's been talked about in those letters.

When the judge rules on the discovery schedule, it seems they are going to have to speak up at that time, that they are out of money. They did not have the nine hundred to pay for all the leads, they did not have the money to personally deliver the DVDs with the autopsy photos to their experts who are beyond the age of technology, Andrea keeps mentioning she wants to do Ms. Kerley's depo via Skype, clearly the students and interns are doing a lot of the paperwork,none of the experts are examining evidence, they haven't even deposed the fundamental law enforcement officers and FBI agents yet, let alone the state's expert witnesses. This case is going to cost another million dollars to defend, imo. It could drag on another year or two, and then there are the appeals. The Anthonys are never going to be able to make the kind of money a proper defense would take. Their home is worth 200K...max. Uncle Rick sure isn't going to be taking out any second mortgages to help, and frankly..imo....neither is Lee.:waitasec::banghead:

The whole thing makes me a little sad...here the As questioned the representation of their daughter...and what does Baez do...forbid Casey from seeing them...because of the Sunshine Laws...yeah, right. I wonder what's been talked about in those letters.

Brillant!!!!

Yes, I did. I think it is painfully obvious they have no money. They have soooo many people to depose, they haven't made any steps toward getting started. Either they have no money or they are planning to have her plead guilty.

I think the money for the photos and videos is long gone.

Yes, but I thought the plan all along was just to attack the SA witnesses at trial and not depose them. Just plain stupid, but I thought that was their plan. Somewhere I think I read that. Note to self - must keep better notes.

Interesting...I would think that CA would go into the public defender pool and start from scratch. Baez and company would have to turn over everything.

Wow-kinda wild to ponder a thought that Baez might be in this for the churn and burn of it all...meaning, to get as much money as he can from the media (licensing photos and interviews) on the case and then take a walk when the money runs out....Although this is a perfectly legitimate reason for an attorney to fire a client.

I know of criminal cases where so much $$ was allowed by the court to be paid to the atty in fees and the lawyer had to eat the rest. IOW< they had to see it through and were not allowed to quit.

I completely agree.

Where I do support the A's is in the attorney representation of KC. While it is fun to poke at JB I don't think he is doing the right thing for his client. There were a LOT of missed opportunities to take an early plea deal and even plea before the DP was ever back on the table. The SA would have done a deal to save the cost of the searches as well as the trial. KC had a chance to seem repentant.

I do agree that KC is her own worst enemy but she needed a strong attorney to lay it out and not a naive rookie to promise the impossible. Now KC is stuck between a rock and a hard place and the inevitable is to take it to trial and hope for a technicality or juror to save her.

Taking this all of the way to the Trial of the Century is great for JB and his team in terms of notoriety but there is a good chance that KC ends up with the DP.

JB is playing with fire. He doesn't want to call 'indigent' and open that can but time is running out, as well as the money. It takes courage and maturity to know when to call it quits and recognize he is not serving his clients best interest.

Or that they haven't liked Baez since the beginning and sent Brad Boy on an errand to see if they could replace Baez, and then try to convince her? Not trying to be difficult here just want to get my head on straight about this indigent stuff.
Because if they do declare her indigent, doesn't that mean M.Lyons and Baez would have to be replaced? Or is this the master plan?
Is the moon full or something? I seem to be going sideways today.

Interesting...I would think that CA would go into the public defender pool and start from scratch. Baez and company would have to turn over everything.

Wow-kinda wild to ponder a thought that Baez might be in this for the churn and burn of it all...meaning, to get as much money as he can from the media (licensing photos and interviews) on the case and then take a walk when the money runs out....Although this is a perfectly legitimate reason for an attorney to fire a client.

That's kind of cold ,isn't it?
The publicity Baez would get from all the media conferences & then from ditching his client would probably end his career. :loser:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82