GUILTY AZ - Kaiya Kapahu, 5, disabled, starved to death, Phoenix, 17 Feb 2010

STEADFAST

Reaction score
Officers found the little girl in a bedroom. She was dead and had been for possibly four weeks.
Samudio said in an interview with police Orta admitted withholding medication and food from the child.
Also during police interviews it was revealed that Orta lied to his father about the little girl's whereabouts the past few weeks. Orta told his father the girl had been admitted to St. Joseph's Hospital for treatment. Orta's father became suspicious and called the hospital only to find out it was a lie. That led to the confrontation and call to police.
http://www.azfamily.com/news/local/Police-Man-in-custody-in-5-year-old-girls-death-84696917.html

The little girl had Rett Syndrome, and the uncle was supposed to be taking care of her and getting treatment for her that she couldn't get in Hawaii where her parents live.

Poor little baby. How could he?

I don't know a whole lot about Rett Syndrome. I'm going to look it up.

Grandpop. thank goodness got a clue. Too late.

Neighbor is stunned.

http://www.azfamily.com/home/related/Neighbor-stunned-by-suspects-arrest-84709067.html

from wikipedia (sorry my comp wont link for some reason)

retts is a syndrome which is an au tisim spectrum disorder, nameda after the doctor who discovered it in 1966. problems include deceleration of head growth, small hands and feet, gastrointestinal disorders, and seizures.

im pretty sure not feeding her or giving her meds would seriously cause her harm.....and lead to her death.

and then he leaves her rotting in the bed for a month? :banghead::furious:

This is teribble , I am so sorry for the family, but what I would like to know is why her bio parents did not move back to the states to take care of her since they could not care for her in Hawaii ? I don't get that, I am sure there is more to this story, but I would go to the ends of the earth with my children to find them care if they needed it ....

If he is going to choose to euthanize her, please please please tell me he did not do it by witholding food, water and medication.

Dont get me wrong-it was not his job to make that choice. BUT OMG.

he left her body in a bed for weeks........that is an utter disgrace and totally dispicable no matter how she actually died. give me 5 minutes alone with him.......

CHILD_HOMICIDE_20100220155304_640_480.JPG

RIP, little Kalya :rose:

Father of special-needs girl found dead had planned to bring her home
Feb. 24, 2010 11:37 PM

The single father of a 5-year-old special-needs child who died in the care of an uncle in Phoenix said he had recently become concerned about his daughter's welfare and was planning to bring her back to Hawaii when he got the call about her death.

Manny Kapahu said his brother stopped returning calls and e-mails from him seeking information on his daughter Kaiya.

Kapahu also said he wouldn't have left his daughter with her uncle if he believed his brother couldn't take care of her.

"I trusted him," Kapahu said Tuesday. "I would never have left my daughter with him if I thought ... he would not take care of her."

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/02/23/20100223hawaiigirl0224.html

There is so much sickness, greed, ineptitude and selfishness is this world that I am truly surprised at my level of shock concerning this situation.

I can hardly fault a single Dad for trusting his brother to care for his child, so she could get medical care. Why would he even contemplate that a man with 25 years of experience would harm his own flesh and blood?!

This is one case that I hope there is prison justice served!

Granddad felt dread about disabled girl
by Michael Ferraresi - Feb. 25, 2010 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

Nearly every morning, Leonard Orta Sr. returned to his Phoenix apartment from his graveyard shift and asked about his granddaughter. His son would tell him the 5-year-old girl was fine, although Orta sensed a lie.

He knew his son was drinking more heavily since the holidays. He noticed him struggling with the girl's seizure medication, feedings, baths and lack of verbal communication that came with Rett syndrome.

Phoenix police praised Orta for leading officers to Kaiya Kapahu's remains, although the 72-year-old security guard said he blamed himself for not going to the bedroom sooner. It took him one month to realize Kaiya was dead.

"I have to take this to the grave with me," said Orta, who has moved to a Phoenix hotel and refuses to stay at the apartment near Indian School Road and 28th Street where police discovered Kaiya's decomposed body on Feb. 17

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/2010/02/25/20100225ortafolo0225.html

Granddad felt dread about disabled girl
by Michael Ferraresi - Feb. 25, 2010 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

Nearly every morning, Leonard Orta Sr. returned to his Phoenix apartment from his graveyard shift and asked about his granddaughter. His son would tell him the 5-year-old girl was fine, although Orta sensed a lie.

He knew his son was drinking more heavily since the holidays. He noticed him struggling with the girl's seizure medication, feedings, baths and lack of verbal communication that came with Rett syndrome.

Phoenix police praised Orta for leading officers to Kaiya Kapahu's remains, although the 72-year-old security guard said he blamed himself for not going to the bedroom sooner. It took him one month to realize Kaiya was dead.

"I have to take this to the grave with me," said Orta, who has moved to a Phoenix hotel and refuses to stay at the apartment near Indian School Road and 28th Street where police discovered Kaiya's decomposed body on Feb. 17

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/2010/02/25/20100225ortafolo0225.html

BBM. Ok, how does one come home to an apartment where a child resides and not only does not see her for a month, but no one smelled a decomposing body? Did Grandpa not talk to his other son, the single fathers brother who was still in Hawaii, sent his daughter to not only her uncle but her grandfather?

Ah ah, Nope. There is more to this story than what both the grandfather and uncle are saying. Grandpa knew his son was struggling with both caring for this child and his drinking and STILL did not go in to at least kiss his granddaughter while she was sleeping? How does that country song go? I have some ocean front property in Arizona......

Is the grandfather being charged with anything here? please tell me both the uncle responsible for her and grandpa are facing charges. I don't care if he worked grave yard shift or not. PLENTY of married couples split shifts so they don't have put their children in daycare and manage to see their children on a daily basis. Both of them are FOC IMO.

BBM. Ok, how does one come home to an apartment where a child resides and not only does not see her for a month, but no one smelled a decomposing body? Did Grandpa not talk to his other son, the single fathers brother who was still in Hawaii, sent his daughter to not only her uncle but her grandfather?

Ah ah, Nope. There is more to this story than what both the grandfather and uncle are saying. Grandpa knew his son was struggling with both caring for this child and his drinking and STILL did not go in to at least kiss his granddaughter while she was sleeping? How does that country song go? I have some ocean front property in Arizona......

Is the grandfather being charged with anything here? please tell me both the uncle responsible for her and grandpa are facing charges. I don't care if he worked grave yard shift or not. PLENTY of married couples split shifts so they don't have put their children in daycare and manage to see their children on a daily basis. Both of them are FOC IMO.

I echo all your questions.

And if your sick child was out of state being cared for by relatives how do you not talk to her for a month. GP was told she was in the hospital, and that info never made it to mom and dad, who I would assume would contact the hospital?

No one was caring for this child.
There are no innocent bystanders.

I echo all your questions.

And if your sick child was out of state being cared for by relatives how do you not talk to her for a month. GP was told she was in the hospital, and that info never made it to mom and dad, who I would assume would contact the hospital?

No one was caring for this child.
There are no innocent bystanders.

Excellent points. GP was told she was in the hospital for an entire month?
Even if he was told that and believed it, which is still hard to understand given the time she was deceased, what happened with the communication between GP and her father? Oh, you can't reach your brother? She is in the hospital. I will get you the information so you can contact her physicians..... How was it that even working the grave yard shift Grandpa wasn't even willing to once try and reach the hospital himself or go to visit her?

Excellent points. GP was told she was in the hospital for an entire month?
Even if he was told that and believed it, which is still hard to understand given the time she was deceased, what happened with the communication between GP and her father? Oh, you can't reach your brother? She is in the hospital. I will get you the information so you can contact her physicians..... How was it that even working the grave yard shift Grandpa wasn't even willing to once try and reach the hospital himself or go to visit her?

From the original link/post to this story:

Officers found the little girl in a bedroom. She was dead and had been for possibly four weeks. Samudio said in an interview with police Orta admitted withholding medication and food from the child.
Also during police interviews it was revealed that Orta lied to his father about the little girl's whereabouts the past few weeks. Orta told his father the girl had been admitted to St. Joseph's Hospital for treatment. Orta's father became suspicious and called the hospital only to find out it was a lie. That led to the confrontation and call to police.

So it sounds like GP asks about early on, told she is in the hospital the last three weeks. Somehow the parents are not attempting to reach her, they are not informed she is in the hospital. And it takes GP three weeks to call the hospital

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelKeell
Back