All Talk or Action for the Missing?

Kelly

Founder, Project Jason
Reaction score
Website
www.projectjason.org
Hello,

As some of you know, I started a program last month called Adopt a Missing Person. We took it on our tour of the state, and when we came back home, we put it online for anyone, regardless of location, to be able to participate. We have only had it online for a week, so I realize that many of your requests may be forthcoming.

In case you are not familiar with the program, families of missing persons send us photo buttons of their missing loved one along with an info sheet that provides additional information as well as personal data, so that whoever adopts that person feels as if they know them. The adopter pledges to wear the button as often as they can to bring about awareness for that missing person. The info sheet gives them enough data to be able to share that missing person's story with anyone who asks. The adopter is also
encouraged to let others know about the program so that they can participate too.

Today I received our very first request from a Diane from Pennsylvania. She wants to adopt both Rachel Cooke and Maura Murray. I will be sending her buttons and info sheets today. Diane is a great example of one who takes action, rather than just talking about the problem. She believes that as individuals, we can have an impact. Good for Diane!

So, I appeal to the hundreds of readers here, whom I assume have a vested interest in missing persons for whatever reason, to take action and participate in this program. You will never know the impact your ACTION could have, whereas talk doesn't do much, if anything, for these families. Please consider taking a few minutes to come to our website, look over the missing to adopt, and send us your prepared mailers.

The link is: http://www.projectjason.org/adopt.html

Try to put yourselves in the shoes of those who have a missing loved one and take action for them. I know they appreciate it greatly knowing that someone cares enough to do this for them. It gives them renewed hope that they will once again be reunited with that person. Thank you!

Kelly Jolkowski, Mother of Missing Jason Jolkowski
President and Founder, Project Jason
www.projectjason.org

(Note: This webpage is still in progress. Links to more info will be added soon, as well as new missing persons. We have nearly all of the adoptees on our Faces page which has the links to additional info.)

Doyle: Sticky this post if you would, please.

Kelly said:
Today I received our very first request from a Diane from Pennsylvania. She wants to adopt both Rachel Cooke and Maura Murray. I will be sending her buttons and info sheets today. Diane is a great example of one who takes action, rather than just talking about the problem. She believes that as individuals, we can have an impact. Good for Diane!

Great work Kelly. If any of Rachel's adopters want a bumper sticker have them e-mail me on the yahoo address.

Congratulations, Kelly!

Much love and success to you, Lanie

Kelly said:
Hello,

As some of you know, I started a program last month called Adopt a Missing Person. We took it on our tour of the state, and when we came back home, we put it online for anyone, regardless of location, to be able to participate. We have only had it online for a week, so I realize that many of your requests may be forthcoming.

In case you are not familiar with the program, families of missing persons send us photo buttons of their missing loved one along with an info sheet that provides additional information as well as personal data, so that whoever adopts that person feels as if they know them. The adopter pledges to wear the button as often as they can to bring about awareness for that missing person. The info sheet gives them enough data to be able to share that missing person's story with anyone who asks. The adopter is also
encouraged to let others know about the program so that they can participate too.

So, I appeal to the hundreds of readers here, whom I assume have a vested interest in missing persons for whatever reason, to take action and participate in this program. You will never know the impact your ACTION could have, whereas talk doesn't do much, if anything, for these families. Please consider taking a few minutes to come to our website, look over the missing to adopt, and send us your prepared mailers.

The link is: http://www.projectjason.org/adopt.html

Try to put yourselves in the shoes of those who have a missing loved one and take action for them. I know they appreciate it greatly knowing that someone cares enough to do this for them. It gives them renewed hope that they will once again be reunited with that person. Thank you!

President and Founder, Project Jason
www.projectjason.org

(Note: This webpage is still in progress. Links to more info will be added soon, as well as new missing persons. We have nearly all of the adoptees on our Faces page which has the links to additional info.)

Doyle: Sticky this post if you would, please.

Hi Kelly,

I understand your frustration. It is hard to get people to take action. Not because people don't want to. Believe me they do. I feel that perhaps two things are going on here.

First, I have found that many times people are so limited in their time that all they can do is quickly read and post. That doesn't mean they don't want to help. Just means perhaps, at this time, they can't.

Second I am wondering if our members are aware of the great thing you are doing. Many times people have a forum bookmarked and go directly there.

I would like to send out a mass email to our members and an annoucement that goes on all the forums about what you are doing. I think this will help quite a bit.

Could you email me please at tgrif@xmission.com.

Thank you,

Tricia Griffith
Owner www.websleuths.com

Kelly ~ Thank you for bringing attention to your project. I visited your site and have sent a request to you in today's mail. Thanks again!

Kelly,

I am still trying to get the buttons squared away for Patrice so she may enter the program. Her husband is trying to get the extra cash. Since Patrice's disappearance, he's had to take over all the bills that Patrice helped him to pay. I just wanted you to know that we were working towards participation. I think you are doing a great thing.

FindCarrie (Jill)

What a wonderful response! Thank you!

Robert, consider mailing me some of the bumper stickers and I can enclose in their mailers unless the bumper stickers are too big..then I could refer to you.

Tricia: I emailed you.

I understand what you are saying about inaction. I remember many years ago how I thought for a long time that I might like to become a literacy volunteer. It took me two years from the time I decided to do it to actually call them and do something about it. Yes, this is different, but I do know how time gets away from us. I only hope that due to the nature of this request, that people do not wait.

On another board, a member posted a suggestion that if everyone emailed this to their email list and asked them to email it to theirs, plus add it to websites as a link, we could have an ever greater response.

It would wonderful to surpass the Penny Brown missing girl email hoax in quantity because these are TRUE missing persons whose families need our help.

The thought of this just warms my heart.

Kelly

Kelly said:
What a wonderful response! Thank you!

Robert, consider mailing me some of the bumper stickers and I can enclose in their mailers unless the bumper stickers are too big..then I could refer to you.

Okay, good Idea. I have to either put them in a 9x12" envelope or buy a special A1 envelope. I don't like to fold them. If you are mailing buttons you probably already send a 9x12" or a box.

Kelly I'm glad you and Tricia are connecting. Tricia has helped on Rachel's case every since the first month. She has a heart of gold and the energy to match it.

Yes, that she does have...a heart of gold.

We have had some email inquiries with quite a few for Rachel.

I do want to point out to readers, too, as you so very unselfishly mentioned on another board, for people to please consider adopting the guys. They do not get the attention as the females do.

Thanks everyone!

Kelly

Revision on the postage & Press tonight:

I went to the Post Office today and found that a 6x9 mailer would be .82 cents rather than the .60 that the mailing scale at work showed, so, you're safe with 2 stamps on a 4x7 and with 3 stamps on a 6x9.

Adopt a Missing Person was on the news tonight here locally. So far, they did not place the story itself online, but they did create a link on this page:

http://www.theomahachannel.com/family/index.html

I've already received 5 inquiry emails and the site had about 100 hits so far tonight. It was wonderful to see all the buttons shown on TV. They filmed and showed all of them!

Thanks you for those who have taken this to heart and mailed in your requests. Please keep them coming.

Kelly

Last night and today, we were all featured on our local ABC affilliate, KETV with the Adopt a Missing Person program. You can read the story here and see the video of the newscast:

http://www.theomahachannel.com/news/3537156/detail.html

We've had about 200 hits since yesterday evening. I'm very excited about the potential for all of our families.

Remember, if you have a website, I do have a banner you can place to link to the program. Just let me know if you would like me to email it to you.

With hope for our missing loved ones,
President and Founder,
Project Jason
www.projectjason.org

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank our sponsors for the families with no income/low income who cannot afford buttons. Without your generous support, these families could not have joined this incredible program.

For any family needing sponsorship for buttons, please feel free to contact either Kelly Jolkowski at Kelly.Jolkowski@projectjason.org or myself at the address on my signature.

With love and gratitude to our sponsors, Lanie
Help For The Missing
HelpForTheMissing@yahoo.com

Hello,

I just wanted to share some great ideas that some of our adopters have come up with for the program.

One woman is going to have me send her one of each button in November. She is then going to use the buttons to create a missing persons remembrance wreath. She will attempt to get her local press to cover this.

A nurse who works with mental health patients has requested one of each button of the missing loved ones with a mental illness. As she understands that it is possible that some of these persons may be wandering and confused as to their identity, she will show these buttons to the homeless in her area.

A high school girl requested a button for herself at first, but now all of her friends want one too. They will each get a different one.

Another has requested several buttons of the missing person closest to her area. She is going to give them to family, friends, and co-workers.

As I have all of the buttons, I switch them out every week and have several pinned to my purse straps. Another one of our adopters wears them on her hanging work ID badge.

An “Internet Angel” has made color business cards all of our adoptees. I will be including 5 cards with each button request. This will be yet another tool for the adopter to spread the word and encourage others to participate in the program. I also have the file for these cards that can be emailed to the adopter.

If you have been so kind as to have adopted someone, please feel free to share what you do with your button(s).

If you have not yet adopted someone, we have several new adoptees to chose from and more coming. Please consider helping these families. You can give them the hope they need to continue on another day without their missing loved one.

Note: Nikki Buffkin is not available for adoption as she has been found safe. Our webmaster will put a banner on her photo soon to indicate this.

Thank you.

President and Founder,
Project Jason
www.projectjason.org
See the music and photo montage of my son: http://www.twinzee.com/jason.swf

For the adopt program, such a wonderful idea.

Glad the response has been so good, especially in the media.

Lanie

I'm burning the midnight oil here as I just did a batch of buttons to be sent out in tomorrow's mail. We had an even 30 requests, which is wonderful!

We also have some new missing persons added to the program, so do be sure to look.

As I was doing this, I received an email from a young girl who wears buttons on her purse and backback. She asks if she can adopt all of them. Of course! What a excellent idea. I hope she encourages all her friends to do the same. They could start a new trend and become the next generation of missing person's advocates. :)

Kelly

Kelly,
Have you thought of contacting women's magazines with your project? They always have short stories like this in Good housekeeping. I bet they would run it and it would get so much more viewers than a local TV newsprogram or local paper. I can get you the address from my magazine if you are interested. I have been thinking of this for awhile, sorry it's taken so long to post.

Kelly said:
You bet, Gardenmom...please email me the address. This is a great idea...do keep them coming!

Kelly

Family Circle
375 Lexington Ave.
NY, NY 10017
c/o Gwen Moran

Good Housekeeping
959 Eighth Ave.
NY, NY 10019
c/o Margaret Magnarelli

I will find some more for you soon, this is what I have at home, but there are lots of magazines out there. How about if whoever reads this looks at the mags they have at home and post the addresses here. I found an aritcle that had a similar feel for it and put that writer in the c/o. I thought it would be better to put someone's name down instead of just sending it in to whoever opens the mail. Better chance of getting it read.

We've added several new people to the program.

We're up to 354 adoptions now and I have a big one to fulfill this evening, so that number will rise.

I received several really cute letters from children wanting to adopt someone. These little sweethearts are neighbors of our own FindLorne. She is doing a great job to teach these kids about our cause in a way that is matter of fact, rather than frightening to them.

You'll love the letters, so take a look, and please consider adopting a missing person! Thank you.

http://www.projectjason.org/adopt.html

Kelly

Just an update on the program:

We're now at 417 adoptions and some students are picking up on this as a cause. A sorority in SD has "adopted" the program as their cause for the semester, and now a college dorm in OH has started a sign-up list for it. There is other activity starting to be generated as well.

The student from OH who is organizing this asked me to write a piece explaining why we do this. I wanted to share it with you, so that you might feel a call to help us with our cause, if you haven't already. Thank you.

Why missing people?

Missing people tend to fall in between the cracks of society’s sidewalk. They are often both gone and forgotten, except by those who love and miss them. With government spending tight, often the time needed to devote to these cases by law enforcement is not spent. Sometimes the media does not respond. The families may feel they have been abandoned by those who can help them. There are also prejudices faced in as far as the fact that these missing loved ones could have left willingly, but for the most part, we do not know. Regardless, the families deserve the answer to the question that burn in their minds and hearts daily: “Where is he/she and is he/she ok?” The pain, fear, and anxiety caused by living daily without knowing the answer cannot even be described.

I have often been asked by reporters about our “success rate”. Our success is not dictated by the number of people located. Some of these cases go unresolved for a longer period of time. Our success instead is based upon how it makes the families of our missing loved ones feel when they know that others are now helping them. Many times in these cases, after law enforcement has sifted through the clues, and there are no more leads to follow, what is left is awareness and hope.

You can give both of these sustaining gifts to these families by adopting a missing loved one. You can bring about awareness for the missing person by wearing their button and sharing their story, which is provided to you on their info card. Every time their face is seen, it increases the odds of location. When these families are told that their loved one has been adopted, it gives them a glimmer of hope and sustains them in their journey to the answers they seek. It makes them feel good knowing that a stranger would care enough to want to help them. It is said it is better to give than to receive. Please give these families the gifts of awareness and hope by adopting their missing loved one. You can make a difference in the lives of others!

President and Founder,
Project Jason
Adopt a Missing Person Program
www.projectjason.org

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads