GUILTY OH - Alexandria Hamilton, 2, scalded to death, Cleveland, 17 Feb 2010

Texas Mist

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
CLEVELAND - The tragic death of a 2-year-old Cleveland girl was ruled a homicide Friday, and the child's mother has been charged with murder, Fox 8 News reports.

A spokesperson for the Cuyahoga County Coroner's Office tells Fox 8 News it has been determined that young Alexandria Hamilton was the victim of a homicide. The official cause of death is thermal injuries.

Authorities confirm that Alexandria's mother, Tyesha Hamilton, was charged Friday with one count of murder.

The Cleveland Police Department says that it's believed the toddler found dead in a home was first injured at a suburban motel. At approximately 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, paramedics were called to a home on Longwood Avenue in Cleveland. Alexandria was in full cardiac arrest.
Police arrested Hamilton on suspicion of aggravated murder. Warrensville Heights detectives said that they believe Hamilton injured the child at a motel on Northfield Road, possibly scalding her with hot water before taking her to the Longwood address.

more here

http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-2yo-abuse-dead-kf-txt,0,4487495.story

alexandria-hamiltonjpg-dfa327f4e0f30bb1_large.jpg

===============

Child dies after Cuyahoga County officials reunite her, siblings with troubled mother; officials defend decision

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Before they returned four children to their troubled mother last year, Cuyahoga County officials said they did everything they could to make sure Tyesha Hamilton was ready to raise her kids.

Hamilton completed parenting classes. She signed up for extra programs. She stayed sober and her drug tests came back negative, county officials said.

And still, her 2-year-old daughter Alexandria died. The toddler had extensive burns over much of her body when she was found unresponsive by paramedics Wednesday evening at an apartment complex on Longwood Avenue.

Kathi and Ollie Coffey cared for Alexandria and her three siblings from the time she was less than a week old and seemed as skinny as a string of spaghetti. They agreed to take the premature baby into their Euclid home a month after her brother and two sisters came to live with them because they didn't want the children split up.

As with all the foster children the Coffeys took in, they knew the children would likely go back to their mother at some point.

But when that time came, the Coffeys warned county officials against returning the children to Hamilton.

"The county was telling us that she was doing what she was supposed do." Kathi said.

The couple, who have been married nearly 30 years and have three adult children, had concerns after the children stayed with their mother overnight on several weekends in early 2009.

The children were brought back to their house unkempt and told stories about their weekends that made them uneasy, the Coffeys said.

One weekend Alexandria came home and her normally luminous gold-colored eyes were bloodshot.

Kathi Coffey was told her the toddler fell from the top a bunk bed. She took her to the hospital but said doctors couldn't determine what caused the redness in Alexandria's eyes.

Ollie Coffey, 61, said he insisted to the children's case worker that it was too soon for the children to return to their mother for good.

"I kept telling them it's not time yet," he said.

Forkas said the agency knew about the toddler's fall from the bunk bed. But one instance of bad judgement was not enough for social workers to keep the children from their biological mother, Forkas said.

more here

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/02/county_officials_defend_decisi.html

RIP, beautiful Alexandria :rose:

You will be happy & safe with the angels forever now.

I'm so over all this...

The SPCA seems to care more for the animals they rescue than CPS cares for innocent children.

Poor baby... Rest in peace, Angel...

Poor baby. I cannot, for the life of me, understand all the killing of babies lately. :(

I did not read the link, and obviously I do not know the situation. However, with the information presented, I feel sorry for the social worker. I would be willing to bet this was one of those cases that the worker had a gut feeling things weren't right, but there was no legal recourse to keep the children out of the home. Sometimes, due to the parents doing everything they're supposed to, workers have to return kids and hold their breath, always afraid of what will happen next. It literally hurts to be in that situation. It can be three years later and nothing has happened, but the worker will still think about the case. And if something does happen, the worker then gets slammed in the news and community.

Now, if something comes out to prove that wrong and there was documented evidence to keep the children from returning home, my sympathy will be less.

Prayers for little Alexandria, her siblings, and the Coffeys.

Looking into her eyes, I can just imagine how much delight she must have brought those around her.

Prayers for little Alexandria, her siblings, and the Coffeys.

Looking into her eyes, I can just imagine how much delight she must have brought those around her.

I second this, only I can't look at the pictures.

The child falls from a bunk bed and CPS says one incident of bad judgment is not enough :furious::furious::furious: When the children have already been removed from the home for a series of bad judgments - then 1 bad decision SHOULD be enough. These are at risk kids. There is NO ROOM FOR ANY BAD DECISION :furious::furious::furious:

Salem

Poor baby. I cannot, for the life of me, understand all the killing of babies lately. :(

I did not read the link, and obviously I do not know the situation. However, with the information presented, I feel sorry for the social worker. I would be willing to bet this was one of those cases that the worker had a gut feeling things weren't right, but there was no legal recourse to keep the children out of the home. Sometimes, due to the parents doing everything they're supposed to, workers have to return kids and hold their breath, always afraid of what will happen next. It literally hurts to be in that situation. It can be three years later and nothing has happened, but the worker will still think about the case. And if something does happen, the worker then gets slammed in the news and community.

Now, if something comes out to prove that wrong and there was documented evidence to keep the children from returning home, my sympathy will be less.

I have no sympathy for the social worker at all, if the system she was following is not working she should have talked to supervisors to work on changing the laws that do not keep our child safe.I hope everyday she see's her adorable face.If the people in charge of the system see its not working and do nothing to change it then who can?

I second this, only I can't look at the pictures.

The child falls from a bunk bed and CPS says one incident of bad judgment is not enough :furious::furious::furious: When the children have already been removed from the home for a series of bad judgments - then 1 bad decision SHOULD be enough. These are at risk kids. There is NO ROOM FOR ANY BAD DECISION :furious::furious::furious:

Salem

I agree 150%,our children are dying everyday because of bad judgments.I believe in 1 strike your out.

RIP............you and the other babies that we are reading about didn't deserve this.

Bond Set At $1 Million For Mom Accused In Toddler's Death

CLEVELAND -- The woman accused of scalding her 2-year-old daughter to death appeared in court on Monday.

Tyesha Hamilton made her initial appearance in Cuyahoga County court Monday morning. Her bond was set at $1 million. Hamilton faces murder charges.

She did not enter a plea and the next court date has not been set.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/22635804/detail.html

$1M bond -- I think that says a lot about what the state knows about this momster.

This is just horrific.

What an exquisite baby girl.

Rest in peace, beautiful Alexandria Hamilton. I'm so sorry this happened to you, sweetheart. You are going to be a beautiful angel now. :)

How could a fall from a bunkbed cause bloodshot eyes?

Wouldn't that be more the result of being choked?

May this poor baby rest in peace and may her siblings find comfort and love and a afe place forever. I am really saddened for the Coffey's.

Tyesha Hamilton arraigned in scalding death of her toddler daughter

By Michael Sangiacomo, The Plain Dealer
March 05, 2010, 10:17AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Tyesha Hamilton pleaded not guilty this morning to aggravated murder and related offenses in connection with the scalding death of her 2-year-old-daughter, Alexandria "Lexi" Hamilton.

Hamilton, 29, will continue to be held on a $1 million bond. Her case was assigned to Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Judge Michael Donnelly.

Hamilton has hired Shaker Heights attorney Lawrence Floyd to represent her, according to court records.

She is accused of pushing her daughter into a bathtub of scalding water on Feb. 15 at the Econo Lodge Motel in Warrensville Heights. The child suffered from second-degree burns over most of her body.

Instead of taking her to the hospital, Hamilton took Lexi and her sisters and brothers to a friend's home at the Longwood Avenue apartment complex in Cleveland, investigators said.

a little more here

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/03/woman_arraigned_in_scalding_de.html

I just cannot comprehend how this woman could push her child in to a tub of scalding water. My heart breaks for these children.

This is a heartbreaking case. I am incensed at DHS but have to wonder if the return of the children to this home was driven through monetary savings. This happens all the time and must be stopped. Please remember that a single caseworker NEVER makes a decision to return children to a home. Numerous staffings occur and a judge must order the return. Front line caseworkers must follow the suggestions of the supervisor and the order of the judge, regardless of their own opinion on a case. I've posted this link on other threads but will again as we all need to see this:

http://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/factsheets/fatality.cfm

So many of us have questions. Well, here are fact sheets full of answers. Mind you, not why a precious little one would be killed but the statistics, demographics, and profiles. Keep in mind that these stats are always 2 years behind. I hear that the 2008 stats will be released in a few weeks. Those should start reflecting the impact of the economy.

Outside review of Ohio county child welfare agency

Updated: 3/20/2010 9:00:29 PM Posted: 3/20/2010 7:02:51 PM

CLEVELAND -- An independent panel will review the actions of the child welfare agency in Ohio's largest county after the deaths of two children and the near starvation of two others.

Deborah Forkas, director of the Cuyahoga County Children and Family Services Department, says the panel will be assembled in the next two weeks.

The agency has been criticized for its handling of the cases involving deaths and malnourishment of children.

The county also wants the outside group to look at the agency's practice of reuniting children with high-risk parents.

A 2-year-old girl returned with her siblings to their mother last year was scalded to death in a bathtub last month and a 5-year-old boy was allegedly beaten to death by his mother last fall.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=132819

From September 2010:

http://www.cantonrep.com/article/20100930/News/309309857

A Cleveland woman has pleaded guilty to murder in the death of her 2-year-old daughter, who police say was scalded in hot water after she soiled bed sheets.

Thirty-year-old Tyesha Hamilton entered the plea Wednesday and a judge immediately sentenced her to life in prison with parole possible after 15 years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back