TN - Zylin Reese, 3, beaten to death, Morristown, 18 Feb 2010

Texas Mist

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
MORRISTOWN - A 28-year-old Morristown man has been charged with felony murder of a 3-year-old boy.

Joshua Matthew Darnell was charged Thursday after the boy, Zylin Seth Reese, died at East Tennessee Children's Hospital of injuries sustained while he was in the care of Darnell.

Darnell told authorities he was babysitting the child from about 7 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Tuesday while his mother, Terri Reese, 23, was working, Morristown Police Major Michelle Jones said today.

Darnell admitted spanking the boy, who was unresponsive when his mother returned home from work, Jones said. The boy's mother took him to Morristown Hamblen Hospital, and emergency room doctors notified authorities, Jones said.

The boy was airlifted to the University of Tennessee Medical Center where he died Thursday, according to Jones.

Darnell was initially charged with aggravated child abuse, and the felony murder charge was added Thursday after the child died, Jones said.

The boy suffered head injuries and bruises all over his body, Jones said.

more here

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/feb/19/morristown-man-charged-death-3-year-old-boy/

This 'thing' was the boyfriend of the mother (per this link http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=113649)

RIP, little Zylin :rose:

You can fly with angels now & nobody mean can ever hit you again.

I know that because I am pregnant my emotions are all over the place, but reading this actually made me ill. I have never had such a physical reaction to a story before...

Maybe it's because they are in TN and so are we... I don't know...

I am just sick of reading and hearing these stories each day. It seems like every single day there is yet another story of some freak destroying another innocent little baby.

I hope they put this jerk in gen. pop. and some other inmate does the same thing to him as he did to this sweet angel.

'he admitted to spanking the boy'

ummmmmmmmmm

im going out in left field on this one but........(and i dont like spanking personally) no one ever died from being spanked

nice try idiot

'he admitted to spanking the boy'

ummmmmmmmmm

im going out in left field on this one but........(and i dont like spanking personally) no one ever died from being spanked

nice try idiot

I agree. And if he admits to spanking, how does he explain the head injuries? Last I knew, spanking was at the other end.

I saw the title of this thread, and at first glance I thought it was an old one, and I had already read it before.

Then, I noticed it had to be new, as it only had a few posts.

Then, I realized I have read this story before. Sadly, we all have... over and over and over again.

I fear it will never end, all these helpless children being murdered by their mother's boyfriends.

It just breaks my heart.

This is so sad.

An extended family member of mine is a young mother who is currently finishing high school, and she's able to leave her child in an on-site daycare when he is healthy. Unfortunately, babies get sick a lot, and I recently learned that her alternate arrangement has been to leave him with the baby's father, who is currently getting by on unemployment funds after losing his job (he crossed the line with the amount of time he took off when the baby was born).

The last time the baby was sick, she showed up at the father's apartment to find he'd been drinking (first thing in the morning, no less). He didn't appreciate the responsibility being "dumped" on him, and apparently called her a B*?$% for "doing this s___" to him.

Rather than miss school, she left the baby there! Her parents both work FT, and do not seem to sense the very real potential for danger here. Thankfully, there are other potential arrangements which I've been able to suggest, and which will not cost her anything. I can only hope she'll take advantage of them!

Sometimes, I think the mothers in these situations truly don't sense the danger. Other times, I think they do, but just don't know another way around it, so they cross their fingers and pray nothing will go wrong. I wish they would speak up to anyone and everyone around them, because although I don't know what the case was in Zylin's scenario, I'd be willing to bet that someone out there would've very much wanted to help out in this situation, if only they'd known he was being left in "iffy" circumstances in order for his mom to keep her job, or whatever.

oh my
I live in Morristown. rest in peace Zylin

Rest in peace, Zylin Seth Reese.

12012831_BG2.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members