Alexander Haig, former secretary of state, dies

Dark Knight

Reaction score
WASHINGTON – Former Secretary of State Alexander Haig, a four-star general who served as a top adviser to three presidents and had presidential ambitions of his own, died Saturday of complications from an infection, his family said. He was 85.

Haig's long and decorated military career launched the Washington career for which he is better known, including top posts in the Nixon, Ford and Reagan administrations. He never lived down his televised response to the 1981 assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100220/ap_on_go_ot/us_obit_haig

'we're in charge here'

haigs copy of the constitution must have been dated about 1812.

My husband remembers the time, around ten years ago or so, we were staying at the Hotel Coronado - a splurge over New Years. He had parked the car and had a suitcase in each hand. As he walked toward the hotel, he approached a crosswalk where he came face-to-face with General Haig. They made direct eye contact and the General nodded to my husband, a Soldier. My husband waited while the General cleared the crosswalk.

When we heard on the news this morning about General Haig's passing, my husband stated, "I regret that I didn't put down those damn suitcases and salute.".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back