WA WA - Bertha Burke, 30, Port Angeles, 20 Feb 1970

Richard

Reaction score
This case is now 40 years old...

Bertha Louise Burke
Missing since February 20, 1970 from Port Angeles, Washington.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: May 16, 1940
Age at Time of Disappearance: 30 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'10"; 130-140 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Bertha Louise Burke disappeared in late February of 1970 from her Port Angeles home, leaving her three young children in their house. Foul play is suspected. At the time of her disappearance, she was in the process of getting a divorce from her husband, and at the time he was a person of interest to police.

In 2003, FBI experts using ground penetrating radar searched the driveway of Burke's former home on East 13th Street and a parking lot on East Eighth Street, the former site of Burke's husband's business. Cadaver dogs sniffed the locations for human remains but found nothing. Police have no further searches planned.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Port Angeles Police Department
360-452-4545

Source Information:

Peninsula Daily News
KIRO TV
The Doe Network: Case File 1041DFWA

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1041dfwa.html

It would seem that her husband is the prime suspect in this case. I don't know if he has ever been cooperative with investigators.

I found some information... Not that it is of any help but just to have.

From familysearch.org :

Given Name: Bertha
Middle Name:
Surname: Burke
Name Suffix:
Birth Date: 16 May 1940
Social Security Number: *advertiser censored*-xx-xxxx
State: Washington
Last Place of Residence:
Previous Residence Postal Code:
Event Date: February 1970

And from the Washington Digitial Archives...
Marriage certificate for Douglas A. Burke and Bertha Louise Cronawert August 16, 1958

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 41
And an obituary for Douglas Burke from 2008:

http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008810070312

"On Aug. 16, 1958, he married Louise Cronawert, with whom he had three children. She preceded him in death.

He married Marylee McLean Gilchrist, the mother of four children, in the summer of 1971; she died in 1988."

More at link but it says she preceded him in death and it refers to her as "Louise" so maybe she went by that.
With her death date shown as "February 1970" in the Washington State Digital archives does that mean they declared her as dead?

photos:
burke_bertha.jpg
burke_bertha2.jpg
burke_bertha3.jpg

3 more photos at link

I do not find a NamUs listing for Bertha.

And an obituary for Douglas Burke from 2008:

http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008810070312

"On Aug. 16, 1958, he married Louise Cronawert, with whom he had three children. She preceded him in death.

He married Marylee McLean Gilchrist, the mother of four children, in the summer of 1971; she died in 1988."

More at link but it says she preceded him in death and it refers to her as "Louise" so maybe she went by that.
With her death date shown as "February 1970" in the Washington State Digital archives does that mean they declared her as dead?

Well, he either got a divorce or she was declared dead because he married Mary Lee in June, 1971. She died very young. She is listed as being 35 on their marriage record and the obituary states that she died in 1981 - just ten years later.

Also, the obituary states that he and his third wife adopted two children. He was 67 at the time they adopted so, she must have been quite a bit younger than him?

wow! what a wonderful life she had. i noticed on her fb memorial pgfe that no pic of her hubby. i have a feeling he was involved and am wondering if her children felt the same?

They were divorced according to the Port Angeles Evening News, 17th Sept 1970.
1923d210b2c77a13c59d5235d001fdbf.jpg

Article from the Port Angeles Evening News, Jan 31st, 1971. Port_Angeles_Evening_News_Sun__Jan_31__1971_.jpg

ok i get that they were dicorced but wasnt the memorial page set up by her kid(s)? i would think they would at least have one pic of their dad with their mom on there.

"She apparently left home sometime after midnight, leaving behind her three children, aged between two and six years old, alone."

I get that it's pretty young, but at six, a child could certainly be asked if Mommy seemed upset that evening or if something unusual was going on. Did they ask? What was the outcome?

I would like to know who said she left home... I'm sure it was her husband. I agree CastlesBurning, maybe the oldest child could remember if he/she saw his/her mother leaving or not, what happened before... and even her neighbours. I check on Google maps her old house and, even taking into account the lapse of time, it looks like the sort of neighbourhood in which people spend time in their gardens (look at those lawns... OMG, they are perfect). If she really left home when it's said, someone should have seen her. If not... someone maybe heard something strange during those days, because I suppose that if Douglas was the responsible as LE seems to believe, he probably disposed of her body before he reported her missing.
خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

3 May 1970, The Port Angeles Evening News, pg 1

1679437469553.png

"She does not use much makeup and her two front teeth are unusually large."

"She was in the process of getting a divorce which would have gone through last Wednesday. According to her attorney, her divorce was sought on grounds of cruelty."

19 September 1974, The Port Angeles Evening News, pg 1
1679437664745.png

"Burkes body "may be buried in the city trash dump northwest of [Port Angeles]." Can't find further reports but I assume they found nothing

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back