Some states want to deny release of 911 Calls

I have mixed feelings but I think restricting release of calls to those that are part of a criminal case would be in order. There is just no reason that a 911 call from a family member or friend of someone in dire need should be public. Sure......911 calls in criminal cases, but other calls........we don't need them.

I do however enjoy the 911 call of the criminals who "butt dialed" during their crime. Karma.

I have mixed feelings but I think restricting release of calls to those that are part of a criminal case would be in order. There is just no reason that a 911 call from a family member or friend of someone in dire need should be public. Sure......911 calls in criminal cases, but other calls........we don't need them.

I agree with you. I've held that same view for quite some time.

I don't think they should be secret, but I do think they should be restricted. For example, let the public hear them on request. Database them, make them on line exclusives, or just print the transcipt. Keep it off the evening news, just make it so that the people who make the calls are not ambushed by hearing them again. I think we do, as a society, have the right to hear how our calls for assistance are responded to, even the mundane or ridiculous. But I don't think it would be a bad thing to make the recordings something that the public has to seek out.

I would like to see 911 calls restricted to only cases where crime is involved. These should be released, IMO.

IMHO, there is no reason why we the public should need to hear them. If they are part of a criminal investigation, let them be played in court. 99% of the time we hear them is for tv/radio ratings and sensationalism.

I think 911 calls should not be secret. The public has a right to know how these calls are being handled. Recently there was a man who died after calling for help 10 times. Like the Sunshine Laws, we need to make sure that these types of things are not kept from the public. If we are not aware, how can we demand better?

I thought it was uncool for ESPN and other sports news media to broadcast the 911 recording of University of Florida head football coach Urban Meyer's wife calling 911 when he was having a health problem.

At least Urban Meyer's medical records are confidential, but that's not going to do him a lot of good now that the whole world knows the gist of his health problems from his 911 call being played for everyone to hear.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back