FL - Timothy Schlafer for attempted child abduction, Coral Springs, 2008

Wise Old Owl

Retired WS Staff & Founding member of AFKBPOFPOPL
Reaction score
High school senior who abducted sleeping girl given 20-year prison term

By Lisa J. Huriash, Sun Sentinel

9:24 p.m. EST, March 4, 2010

Two years after he walked into a Coral Springs townhouse and tried to carry a sleeping 11-year-old girl out the door, Timothy Christian Schlafer offered an explanation for his crime: drugs.

"That night I didn't intend to hurt anybody, I didn't intend to scare anybody," he said Thursday.

But police said he had slipped into the townhouse, took a knife from the kitchen, scooped the girl out of her bed, carried her down the stairs and was only stopped because the girl's grandmother woke up before he could get outside.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/br...l-abduction-sentence-20100304,0,5600494.story

YEA YEA YEA!! Its about time. Thank goodness THIS judge saw what he had in front of him. We need more of his kind.

When you click the link - please be sure to read the "bleeding heart" comments. It shows you the real liberal ideas that we are up against.

After Chelsea's story this week, I am so glad that this one isn't just getting a slap on the wrist.

"He didn't intend to hurt anybody. He didn't intend to scare anybody." Then what in the he77 was he doing with the knife?

All I can say is "its about time".

I read the comments til I got so :mad: I stopped....this creep didn't steal a pack of gum, for crying out loud!! WTH - do these "oh he's so young" commenters have kids??

Unreal!!

20 years is great...........but he'll only be 40 when he gets out (if he serves his whole term)

"Nothing got stolen. Nobody got hurt" he told Bobler. "Don't sentence me on what if".

Right there I'd have given him the max. Brazen thing. The poor kid will have nightmares for the rest of her life. How much sleep has this poor family lost over this? Nobody got hurt. Psssssssssh.

20 years is great...........but he'll only be 40 when he gets out (if he serves his whole term)
That's IF he serves the whole 20 years - and I kinda think he'll be just under 40.

Let's hope and pray that we don't see yet another Chelsea King at that time. I just can't believe the people screaming about this sentence. No compassion for the victim, her grandmother or family. Sadly, that is the mindset of our population. Makes you wonder what they would be saying if it was THEIR family member he did this to - don't it?

He got a knife from the kitchen!!!! A KNIFE! What do all these people think he was going to do with that knife? That is what is getting me. Then playing the "compare" game to other crimes and sentences. Well, we are going to see that if we want this justice system to change. People that are sentenced now under this crazy system vs these freaks that will start getting the sentences that are appropriate.

Railing against "liberal ideas" is fairly ludicrous considering that, since 1980 - for 30 years - Republicans have been in the White House for 20 of them, and Republican presidents have appointed six of the nine Supreme Court justices plus a similar percentage of federal judgeships.

I really don't think this has much to do with political parties, but more with the general population/citizenry of this country. If you read the comments that follow the newspaper article most are quite upset that this "young kid got such a stiff sentence". I believe this comes from a general belief that our justice / court system is "unfair".

When it comes to crimes against our children - we have to stand up - we have to hold people accountable and prison sentences have to be appropriate and enforced. Has nothing to do with political affiliations.

I consider myself fairly liberal politically, and I'm glad this young man got what's coming to him. Grandma is a hero, in my eyes. I have no doubt that, stoned or not, that boy had it in him to commit a lecherous act on a child. Maybe he would have murdered her. So the drugs and alcohol took away the inhibitions...he still had it in him. Lock him away and keep him there. Homework? Girlfriend? He had a chance for all of that and blew it. End of story.

**UPDATE**

I just went back and read the more recent comments and it seems the "parents" are now speaking up and there are more comments that applaud the judge and agree with what he did as far as sentencing then those who think the "kid was railroaded". Thank goodness - being that I live here and remember this crime, its good to know that the population is "coming around" about our justice system and protecting our children.

I suppose some would say that 20 years is justified, but I don't see it that way.

The victim's parents said they "weren't looking for him to be locked up forever", but I think he should be.

He was 19 years old when he kidnapped a child from her home, with a knife, and he was high on drugs. He is using the 'high on drugs' as his excuse, of course.

He does not claim ownership for his actions, as a matter of fact, he downplays what he did, even telling the court, "Nobody got hurt, nothing was stolen, don't sentence me on 'what if'". The audacity of those words astounds me.

He was sentenced to only 20 years, with 2 years credit for time served?
He will only be around 40 years old when he is released, eighteen years from now- and he will still be a dangerous predator.

His future victims haven't even been born yet.

Mark my words, this won't be the last time this probable sociopath will be linked to a violent sexual crime. Twenty years from now, people will be reading about him again, asking 'what if' he hadn't been released? Would the victim still be alive?

I see alot of 'what if's related to this pedophile in the future.

He should have been sentenced on that 'what if'. He really should have been.

the guy abducted an 11 year old girl out of her bedroom, in the middle of the night, with a knife.

im sure this wouldnt have ended well if grandma hadnt interceded.

and lets cut the politics please

Once again, I need to point out that the fact that this young man is blaming his actions on drugs and/or alcohol is a slap in the face to all who abuse these substances. Many, many people imbibe or smoke or shoot up too much but manage to refrain from stealing children from their beds.

I could buy the argument that drug seeking behavior caused him to steal a TV or a laptop but not a child.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back