GUILTY NY - Juan Gomez for child abuse, Queens, 2010

Texas Mist

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
A Queens father accused of brutally attacking his 13-week-old daughter while babysitting her faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted.

Juan Gomez, 23, of Ozone Park, allegedly inflicted a series of injuries on his infant child. The child was taken to Schneider Children’s Hospital last week with bruises to her chest and eye, a healing fracture in her foot, a fractured ankle, a healing fractured to the lower leg, a bite mark to the right leg, 17 fractured ribs, a lacerated liver and difficulty breathing due to a disruption to the lining of the lung.

"The extent of the physical injuries that this innocent and helpless child suffered in just the first few weeks of her life is beyond comprehension," said Queens District Attorney Richard Brown. "That they were allegedly committed by her father boggles the mind. This case will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."

District Attorney Brown said that, according to the charges, Gomez took care of his daughter, Hailey, while the infant’s mother worked. Toward the end of January, he was alone with Hailey and became frustrated because she would not stop crying, according to the charges.

Gomez then allegedly bit the child on the right leg, leaving a bite mark. To conceal what he had done, Gomez allegedly bathed the baby for the following week so nobody could see the bite mark.

In statements made to police and prosecutors, Gomez allegedly said that he would grab his daughter by the feet and ankles and push her legs back until the feet and ankles were bent back onto her chest, that he head butted the baby in her head and that his head piercings caused bruising to her head, and that he would throw his daughter up in the air –- about a foot –- and catch her by placing his hands over her rib cage.

Gomez awaits arraignment in Queens Criminal Court on charges of first- and second-degree assault and endangering the welfare of a child.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...rutal-Attack-on-Infant-Daughter-86722037.html

And the obligatory "Friends and neighbors are shocked at the allegations against the young father. "

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=7315964

Prayers for baby Hailey that she recovers & lives a long healthy life AWAY FROM HER BATTERER and the ONES WHO IGNORED HER PAIN.

15 years?? This "man" is obviously psycho!!!! I say put him in a mental hospital, until he realizes what he did wrong and that it was wrong, and then lock him up for 50 years!!

A Queens father accused of brutally attacking his 13-week-old daughter while babysitting her faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted.

Juan Gomez, 23, of Ozone Park, allegedly inflicted a series of injuries on his infant child. The child was taken to Schneider Children’s Hospital last week with bruises to her chest and eye, a healing fracture in her foot, a fractured ankle, a healing fractured to the lower leg, a bite mark to the right leg, 17 fractured ribs, a lacerated liver and difficulty breathing due to a disruption to the lining of the lung.

"The extent of the physical injuries that this innocent and helpless child suffered in just the first few weeks of her life is beyond comprehension," said Queens District Attorney Richard Brown. "That they were allegedly committed by her father boggles the mind. This case will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."

District Attorney Brown said that, according to the charges, Gomez took care of his daughter, Hailey, while the infant’s mother worked. Toward the end of January, he was alone with Hailey and became frustrated because she would not stop crying, according to the charges.

Gomez then allegedly bit the child on the right leg, leaving a bite mark. To conceal what he had done, Gomez allegedly bathed the baby for the following week so nobody could see the bite mark.

In statements made to police and prosecutors, Gomez allegedly said that he would grab his daughter by the feet and ankles and push her legs back until the feet and ankles were bent back onto her chest, that he head butted the baby in her head and that his head piercings caused bruising to her head, and that he would throw his daughter up in the air –- about a foot –- and catch her by placing his hands over her rib cage.

Gomez awaits arraignment in Queens Criminal Court on charges of first- and second-degree assault and endangering the welfare of a child.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...rutal-Attack-on-Infant-Daughter-86722037.html

And the obligatory "Friends and neighbors are shocked at the allegations against the young father. "

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=7315964

Prayers for baby Hailey that she recovers & lives a long healthy life AWAY FROM HER BATTERER and the ONES WHO IGNORED HER PAIN.

BBM- Why is it called 'babysitting' when it's his own child? :banghead:

I'm seeing this trend so often now in the cases here on WS. Mum is out working, Dad/bf/male sitter is left with child who can't handle the crying and repeatedly attacks the child....in this case a tiny baby.
There needs to be a system in place where every new parent is advised of places they can reach out to if they are not coping, before the baby is allowed to go home.
A simple fridge magnet with a hotline number to call could save so many lives, and prevent this kind of horrific abuse.

Also, unless mom was working 24/7 how could she have not noticed her baby girls injuries and pain? She never changed a nappy or changed the babies clothes? C'mon!!! And how did he explain the bruising to the baby's forehead?
A 13 week old isn't crawling around bumping into things!

I don't have any children, but my best friend lived with me on and off for years. She had four children, two of which were twins. I not only lived with them in a tiny apartment, but babysat often. Let me tell you, there were times when I thought I was going to lose my mind, and during those times, I WALKED away, took a deep breath, and relaxed. Yes, kids can be hard, but they don't mean to be. And there is just NO excuse for ever harming them!! I will be praying for this poor baby. :(

im sorry but the extent of her injuries dont tell me he was upset she wouldnt stop crying. he was torturing her. for weeks

im sorry but the extent of her injuries dont tell me he was upset she wouldnt stop crying. he was torturing her. for weeks

Absolutely this baby was being tortured....I imagine the crying escalated after the first broken bone or severe headache from the headbutts....then the torture frequency increases.

Are these babies crying because they're not getting the attention they need from birth?

All babies cry - when they're hungry or thirsty, need a diaper change, wanna sleep, get bored, tummy aches, or they're sick.

I just don't understand how a mother can't know there's something wrong & get the baby to a doctor before more than 1 bone is broken!!

Babies cry so differently when they're in pain than when they are hungry -- are humans losing their instincts to care for their newborns? And to protect them from their abusers?

Are do they just not care at all?

We're hearing it's the economy & stress bringing on the baby beatings & murders..........Makes me wonder what the statistics are for the Great Depression.....if economy is to 'blame', it's a wonder anybody survived it.

I know in some schools they have a program where girls are given a chance to have a life like baby doll who is programmed to cry, need feedings etc, just like a real newborn would be. IMO they need to have this done for the males also so they get a better understanding of what it's like if you're the one who's sapposed to be taking care of the baby. It might help a few keep things zipped or use more protection.

IMO there's no way the mother didn't see the signs that this baby was being abused, she just chose to turn a blind eye to it because her man was more important. I hope neither of them are ever able to have another baby to torture!

VB

these cases sicken me as a man personally.

i could be described as moody, neurotic, tempermental.......but i'd never lay a hand on a baby or child....not on my worst day.

these sorry excuses for the male race disgust me.

A couple of things. Texas Mist, one of the saddest thing is that many many children who suffer pre-verbal trauma shut down and stop crying. Caregivers often continue to abuse them to "get a rise out of them" and to assure themselves that the baby is still functioning. Once a child moves into that self-preservation mode, it's extremely difficult to reach them.

I know we have many caring souls here on WS, who cry out, "Just give me the baby and I'll love it as my own." Sadly, that's rarely possible. We can all pray and hope that these little ones heal and move on but it's actually not that common. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it's often children like this that we're screaming about in 20 years as they've also hurt a child. The bond/attachment/imprinting cycle is so tender and tenuous. It can rarely be fixed by love and attention and consistent parenting. There's a very small window for that bonding to set in. And the bonding is what assures our kindness and empathy. Lack of bonding cuts to the core of the psyche. Without it, a human is just a shell.

Our school runs a "Baby Think It Over" Program. Oh, how I despised that program. I understand the idea behind it but those babies were horrid. Our eldest daughter breezed through with flying colors, "parenting" identical twins. She had a blast at age 16, dressing he babies and carrying them everywhere. Our second (equally bright) daughter was "reported" within 2 hours for neglectful and abusive behavior. She has no children nor wants them. She cannot tolerate being around them and is clear about it. She got written up for placing the screaming baby in the car and shutting the door while she had dinner. She's a business woman who lives a full and rewarding life but children do not figure into her plan. Our eldest is attempting to get pregnant with her second. She has a 7 year old at age 26. She spent her teen years babysitting and caring for autistic infants. She has the nerves of Job. I do think that parents should be required to take care of the Baby Think It Over for 48 hours. Infancy is not for everyone and bonding just doesn't happen naturally for everyone. There's nothing quite like blood curdling shrieks for 3-4 hours at night to cause you to wonder if this is for you.

its certianly not for sadistic animals like this guy

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbisme
Back