California Dept. of Mental Health Illegally Releases 17 Thousand Sex Offenders

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Marc Klaas is representing Whistle Blowers in California who work for the Department of Mental Health.

There is a law on the books that requires all violent sex offenders, before they are let out of prison to be examined, in person, by two psychiatrists. Then they decide whether the offender should be committed civilly and held in as mental health facility until the time comes when they are no longer a danger to society.

The law is called "Jessica's Law."

The D.M.H. decided, on their own, to cut costs and have one shrink read the paper work on the violent sex offenders scheduled for release.

One psychiatrist goes over the offenders paperwork and from that decides if they should be let go into society.

Because of the violation of state law over 17 thousand sex offenders have been released in California in the past few years. No one knows how many of them would have been civilly committed and still be locked up.

One of these released felons kidnapped, raped and killed a 14 year old girl within 4 days of being released.

Concerned employees of the D.M.H. in California have tried repeatedly to get their bosses and the attorney general to listen their complaint.

The Department of Mental Health in California is breaking the specific law and allowing thousands of violent sex offenders TO GO FREE. All because they wanted to cut corners and save a few bucks.

They can't. It is against the law for them to do this and Marc Klaas is going to make damn sure something is done about it.

Marc explained this situation on the Mike Huckabee show on Fox News tonight. If someone finds the segment on YouTube please post the link here.

I have been provided with the letters written by the Whistle Blowers containing the information about the California Department of Mental Health.

First letter is to the State Attorney General's Office. Please click on the thumbnail to read.

Attachments

• Attorney General Complaint.pdf
    192.2 KB · Views: 153
And finally we have the State Auditor's response;

Attachments

• State Auditor Response.pdf
    46.3 KB · Views: 162
You have read the information. Now please understand this;

Not one thing has been done about this problem. Here we have solid black and white proof of the California Department of Mental Health breaking the law (which resulted in the death of a young girl at the hands of a released predator) and nobody does a thing. NOTHING.

You can bet your behind that if Brittney Spears complains about the paparazzi following her too closely she'll get action. Someone will pay attention to her complaints.

But I guess when the California Department of Mental Health breaks the law 17 THOUSAND times and each one of those times represents a dangerous predator being released to an unknowing public then that gets put on the back burner.

For once my fingertips are at a loss as to what to type.

This is outrageous.

Here, I thought the difficult part was finding these predators and putting them in prison to begin with... it turns out it is even harder to keep them incarcerated after they are sentenced. It's just a revolving door. A dangerous revolving door.

If something is not done to correct this, then what's the point? We may as well abolish any and all laws making it a crime to rape a person, molest a child, etc.
We may as well just allow sex offenders free reign in whatever they feel compelled to do.

The Califonia Department of Mental Health is making a mockery of Jessica's Law, a mockery of our justice system, and certainly, a mockery of the safety of all citizens.

17,000 sex offenders- and how many thousands of future victims? 17,000 multiplied by what?

What can we do to rectify this problem? What can i do, as a native Californian? As a California tax-payer? As a citizen of the United States? As a mother?

I'm all ears, and open for suggestions.

This is outrageous.

Here, I thought the difficult part was finding these predators and putting them in prison to begin with... it turns out it is even harder to keep them incarcerated after they are sentenced. It's just a revolvong door. A dangerous revolving door.

If something is not done to correct this, then what's the point? We may as well abolish any and all laws making it a crime to rape a person, molest a child, etc.
We may as well just allow sex offenders free reign in whatever they feel compelled to do.

The Califonia Department of Mental Health is making a mockery of Jessica's Law, a mockery of our justice system, and certainly, a mockery of the safety of all citizens.

17,000 sex offenders- and how many thousands of future victims? 17,000 multiplied by what?

What can we do to rectify this problem? What can i do, as a native Californian? As a California tax-payer? As a citizen of the United States? As a mother?

Thank you for your FANTASTIC post Smart Blonde.

I wish I knew what to tell you. The authorities know the law is being broken.

Again, my fingertips are at a loss as to what to type.

:eek: I'm stunned. I knew Gov. Terminator was planning to release many prisoners a while back due to funding, but this is outrageous. Every decent, law-abiding person in California should be furious. Every parent should be frightened enough to gather their children and leave the state. I'm serious. What are those people thinking? :furious:

Poor Mark Klaas must be turned inside out. And all the other people who've lost loved ones to these criminals.

This is outrageous.

Here, I thought the difficult part was finding these predators and putting them in prison to begin with... it turns out it is even harder to keep them incarcerated after they are sentenced. It's just a revolving door. A dangerous revolving door.

You can start by writing your outrage to the Governator himself, to all the media, mayors, state and US senators and other representatives of California. Get others to write letters too. Be polite, state your thoughts, but don't insult or do any name calling. That's the first step. Write real letters as well as e-mail. Snail mail makes a better impression than does e-mail that can be easily deleted. I'd go with the snail mail. Include what you wrote above. It's perfect.

So let me get this straight - CA voters passed Jessica's Law in 2006, and
Gilton Petri was released in 2007. Sounds to me like the DMH never abided by the voters wishes. I thought maybe this "paper review" business was a recent development due to the economy & budget woes. Not that that was an acceptable course of action anyway. But this tells me Jessica's law was circumvented from the get-go. How clever of those in charge (at DMH)...............

I think it is happening in many states. I am outraged of the early releases and plea bargaining.
Here is one just released 2/11/2010. He had a prior record! Unbelievable. In jail a total of 3 to 4 months?

http://dailyherald.com/story/?id=335273
Woodstock man who threatened to rape mentally disabled girl gets prison

The incident occurred exactly one week after Sessom admitted guilt to an unlawful restraint charge stemming from an April 2008 incident with a minor girl. He initially had been charged with aggravated criminal sexual abuse, but that charge was dropped as part of a plea bargain.

California is also breaking the rules of Jessica's law for lifetime GPS tracking for high risk released sexual offenders. (As if RELEASE of ANY HIGH RISK offender isn't ALREADY breaking Jessica's Law IMO..)
Apparently, California is too broke to apply this law passed by voters as well. What could be more important to use tax payers money on than protecting it's citizens?? They could wash my street every third week instead of weekly to start! And I have MANY other ideas how California could afford Jessica's Law enforcement!! Protecting the "rights" of offenders is ridiculous and it is insane that our only "rights" are to have a list of the offenders in our neighborhoods. They should NOT be in our neighborhoods at ALL, EVER!! I believe in ONE STRIKE YOUR OUT!!! And 1 parole officer per 70+ released offenders??? If Jaycee Dugard's case isn't a catalyst for drastic change in the system, it is seriously time to storm the capital in herds!! We need to reassert our positions as the voters, as 'we the people', and tell government how it's going to be.. They are OUR employees, not our bosses!!
http://gov.ca.gov/index.php?/fact-sheet/4967/

What good do the offender lists do to protect citizens? Nothing. It didn't help Chelsea or Amber, and many other victims like them. It serves as a geographical list for law enforcement to search for most likely perpetrator AFTER the rape or murder has been committed, which in most cases doesn't even catch the perpetrator anyways. It was only that JAG left DNA evidence behind, and that they actually found her body, that connected him. It is not a preventative measure AT ALL. They will reoffend. Does it make YOU feel any safer knowing that Mr. Offender is known to live at 123 Jones street in your community? Mr. Offender DOES leave his house. And as soon as he steps out the door, it no longer matters what his address is.

That's why I thought the outrage about JAG not being registered in the right places was kind of beside the point...I don't think it would have changed any of what happened, unfortunately. The only thing that would have saved Chelsea is if the judge back in 2000 had given the maximum sentence and JAG was still in prison.

Just want to stick this article in here:

Constitutionality of 'Jessica's Law' questioned
Treating sex predators differently from other violent offenders may violate equal protection guarantees, the California Supreme Court says.

January 29, 2010|By Maura Dolan

The California Supreme Court ruled 5 to 2 Thursday that a 2006 ballot initiative that permitted the state to lock up sexually violent predators indefinitely may violate constitutional guarantees of equal protection.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jan/29/local/la-me-sexpredator29-2010jan29

Well, first, the spotlight needs to go on this, and it needs to shine very brightly.

It's one thing to blog and write letters, but those of us that are capable need to use all our rights, and that includes assembly, peaceful protest, and the press. I am not going to use this as a platform to organize a movement, mainly since I'm on the other side of the country, but there are some closer that I know could organize marches, protests and light a fire under the press.

Write the guys that hold the purse strings. The Tourism Commission, the Governor (obviously) and the person that is in charge of bringing new residents, businesses and tourists in to the state. Tell them that you are considering leaving the state, and taking your business and tax dollars with you, as you no longer feel safe.

Look into civil procedures. Class action lawsuits. See if there is a dereliction of duty.
Start climbing up the ladder, this will likely go federal before there are changes.

Learn the actual name and numbers for the law. If anyone is serious about changing this and ready to speak out, those numbers should be as familiar as their own birthdate.

I'll have to come back when I'm a little less shell shocked.

It would be helpful if someone could post here a list of mailing addresses for the governor, state senators, state representatives, etc. for CA.

Absolutely unreal...especially seeing the tragedy of
Chelsea King

here is a list for California reps..seems they do NOT have to post their email however, so not all included

http://www.legislature.ca.gov/quicklinks/faq.html

complete list of lawmakers ...no I am not "conservative" but this is a good list

http://conservativeusa.org/mega-cong.htm

Laws are ONLY good if they are enforced....I am a huge supporter of Jessica's Law...but it needs to be inforced

we have laws that work...but they are NOT enforced

Now we see clearly some laws are not enforced by "decision"

I have been "yapping" about the fact that Florida's DCF is only recieving a fraction of the abuse/endangered reports...due to budget cuts

they have made an Orwelian decision to reduce costs....they simply have the calls filtered out so that ONLY a fraction are even turned in, they have cheap phone room that cuts off the investigations before they start

this is an ongoing practice

and how many other states are doing similar shortcuts?? Jessica's Law and other laws will ONLY work if they are enforced
My own desire is to see what I call "Jessica's Law on Steriods"

How many more children and people will go missing...how many more laws and feel good resolutions will be passed without addressing the real problems??

>>> Problem #1....Pedophiles and sexual deviants and predators and sociopaths will not be cured, they don't want to be cured, they see nothing wrong with what they do, and they intend to do it however and wherever they can. They are not going to change and should be eliminated or segregated from society forever> Penal colony, islands worked before..ie, Alcatraz

>>>Problem #2.. Mentally ill people do not take their "meds"..and they are dangerous to themselves and others. How many of these cases on these boards is the person "bipolar" or "off their meds"?? I speak as a person who had an uncle with mental illness..who was in mental hospitals...my family was safe thanks to that

we have a real lack of mental hospitals, programs, help for families who have a loved one who can be dangerous to themselves and others

>>> Lack of swift intervention....families of people with mental illnesses are stumped..they have no power..they are probably afraid of the mentally ill person...they can't control them and LE will do nothing.
People here blame the families when the likelihood is the family is worn out from trying to deal with their problem relative. And in many cases said problem relative kills their own family member/s

I think it all has to do with budget cuts and priorities out of whack

those on parole or probation with mental illness should likewise be checked for meds and/or forced meds or else incarcerated (mental hospital is fine with me)

>>> an idea : in future, they might have some sort of implant to give them their meds, like birth control..this would be ideal..til then we need to ensure they are taking their meds or locked up period
They should write today's laws so that in the future they will be covered for whatever new tech and medical developments come out

in the future we also might have implants or something in all sexual offenders, more than just an ankle bracelet

IMHO Locking them up for life is a good idea...violent sex offenders, those that molest children...should never be freed..they will always be a danger

Kudos to Marc Klaas...I will do whatever I can to get the word out about this horrible situation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back