Male Seen Walking With/Near Amber on Feb 13, 2009

cloudajo

Bob Harrod, Missing from Placentia, CA
Reaction score
Info about the male seen walking with or near Amber 7:10AM on Friday, Feb 13, 2009. There were various mentions of this but never many specifics and no sketch. Early on he was described as “slender” then more recently it was “sort of doughy.”

Mar 1, 2009
Meantime, Amber's mother said police were looking into a new tip Saturday night. Amber was seen walking with a tall boy the day she went missing. “They are thinking it was a high school student. They want to make sure. They want to talk to him and no one has come forward yet,” McGonigle said.
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/New-Lead-in-Case-of-Missing-Teen-.html

Mar 3, 2009
Another possible lead - Amber may have been walking with an unidentified male student about six feet tall with a dark complexion.
http://www.cbs8.com/Global/story.asp?S=9939230

Mar 12, 2009
Search warrant: At approximately 0710 hours, [parent 2] was driving her children to Escondido High School southbound on Broadway Ave when she saw Amber Dubois walking southbound on the west curb of Broadway with a male. [Parent 2] described the male as a dark complected young male who was tall and slender. [Parent 2] did not recognize the male. Both [Parent 2] and [Parent 1] placed her approx. 200 yards north of Escondido High School, located at 1535 N Broadway Ave in Escondido.
http://www.nctimes.com/pdf/Warrant031209.pdf

Apr 14, 2009
Benton added that police would like to speak with a young man who appeared to be walking with Amber on the west side of Broadway the morning she disappeared. Amber occasionally walked with classmates on the way to school, though the boy with a dark complexion doesn't match any of those classmates, Benton said. "That is one of the unsolved questions in the case," he said, noting two neighbors independently said they saw Amber at 7:10 a.m. walking on Broadway near the school's football stadium ---- the last time anyone has reported seeing the girl. One of the neighbors said they saw her with the boy, Benton said.
http://www.nctimes.com/articles/200...condido/z3b74c76682d3c97f882575980062be3e.txt

Feb 10, 2010
Two witnesses who knew Amber saw her walking on North Broadway near the football field north of the school’s entrance with a tall, dark-skinned, but not black, sort of “doughy” boy who has yet to be identified, Benton said. Security cameras near the front of the school show Amber never made it that far.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/feb/10/ambers-mystery/

Feb 13, 2010
The young man is described as tall and dark-skinned, about high school age. No one has come forward to identify him or even to verify he was walking with Amber and wasn't just someone walking past her.
http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/escondido/article_17edfcec-657a-5398-8295-4b1ada991f56.html

cloudajo -

Thank you for starting a thread dedicated to this topic. I went back to your other posts and see that you had posted a lot of information in the general threads about all cases nearby where unidentified young males are walking up to/driving up to young women and conversing with them. In reference to the man seen walking with Amber, I posted some questions yesterday before this thread was started, and I want to move it over here.

Yesterday, 08:33 PM
concentric
Registered User Join Date: Jul 2008

Did they ever find out who could possibly be the tall boy/man? with the dark complexion that one of the witnesses who saw Amber on her way to school said she was seen walking with?

What announcements were made about the animals the students would be buying for 4-H that day? Was there an electronic announcement board outside of the school regarding this?

If there was a person of the above description walking with her, he could have been a young man used to lure in girls.

I would think if she was so excited and eager to buy the lamb that day, if this man said, "Oh, the lambs are around the corner in my father's truck" or something, she may have been persuaded to take a look, right?

I cleared out my saved news articles/stories the other day. In one of the news stories, I read that it is routine for sex traffickers in Mexico to employ a young man to lure girls/women to a place where they can be abducted.

Here is what I want to know:

In all of the cases in the U.S. where the girls get away from these young men who are approaching them:

What did the conversations consist of????? We never learn anything about that from reading the articles.

I would like to see a picture of JG at that time.
Was he thinner?
Did his clothes make him look like he was in high school?
Was his hair alittle longer?
Then maybe JG would fit the description more.
Also she probably talked so much about a farm, lambs
that he could of said I'll take you to my farm and show you my lambs..........

In the FBI flyer the male is described as:

Age: Approximately 13-18 years old (possibly middle- to high-school age
Clothing: Dark (Individual was possibly wearing a dark-colored backpack.)
Height: Tall
Complexion: Dark
Build: Medium build
http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/dubois_a.htm

This makes it sound as if the companion is another student, because of the backpack and the age.

If it was a student, and that student is not involved in her disappearance I wonder why that person has not come forward.

The two witnesses who saw the male companion... were they asked to go to the local school to see if they recognized the guy?

That would've helped, I would think.

:)

That inability to find the young man lead me to the thought that he wasn't a student and was enlisted as someone to lure her in by appearing to be a student.

In all of the cases in the U.S. where the girls get away from these young men who are approaching them:

What did the conversations consist of????? We never learn anything about that from reading the articles.

I do not think there is any conversation at all, if only for "how you doing?"... and keep walking at a distance, while giving him the "if you touch me I will bite your jugular" look... and be ready to do it.

The advantage the creeps have is (1) catch the woman by surprise, from behind or when they are too very close, and (2) be in an isolated area where they can do their thing without being noticed for a while.

That's why the iPods/ex-Walkmans are a really bad idea while jogging/walking. They are too much of a distraction and block out awareness of the surroundings.

When I was younger I was frequently accosted by men just walking up to me and saying: "How ya doin'?" And I learned how to defend myself, by walking to the other side of the street, etc. I know about that. Another classic line is: "Want a ride?"

We can make a supposition of what these young men/boys are saying, but we really don't know that for a fact they aren't saying much. There could be a few important clues in the content of what they say.

When I was younger I was frequently accosted by men just walking up to me and saying: "How ya doin'?" And I learned how to defend myself, by walking to the other side of the street, etc. I know about that.

We can make a supposition of what these young men/boys are saying, but we really don't know that for a fact they aren't saying much. There could be a few important clues in the content of what they say.

You are right, it would be enlightening to learn what's their approach.

That way we can be better prepared when we encounter one of these "charmers."

But, I think each situation is different. Each of these ******** have their own crafted MO.

This frustrates me in that so much is left out of the news about these incidents.

Let's just take as an example the luring by JG of the two girls on their way to school. So, we know from the news story that he asked them if they wanted a ride.

It's obvious that there was a heck of a lot more he conversed with them about, especially the girl who was taken to the apartment and raped.

In the FBI flyer the male is described as:

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/dubois_a.htm

This makes it sound as if the companion is another student, because of the backpack and the age.

If it was a student, and that student is not involved in her disappearance I wonder why that person has not come forward.

The two witnesses who saw the male companion... were they asked to go to the local school to see if they recognized the guy?

That would've helped, I would think.

:)

They asked the parents who saw her last to look at yearbooks to see whether they could identify the boy. That didn't pan out I guess.

Might be difficult to recognize when looking at a yearbook pic.

It was drizzling that morning. The description doesn’t mention the male wearing a hat or having a hoodie pulled up, but perhaps that possible?

Maybe he wasn’t a student at all, or maybe a student from another school?

These are just some snippets of other random attempted abductions I had for reference. You’re correct that we don’t often get specifics of conversations, however, it seems common for perp to ask for directions, ask for the time, offer a ride home, and/or threaten with a weapon.

=====================

• When the victim approached van after the driver asked for directions, the side sliding door opened and a passenger grabbed her and tried to pull her into the van, Redondo Beach police Lt. Paul Wrightsman said. The victim fought back and was able to ran away. The passenger got back in the van and the suspects fled.
  • The victim was walking in front of an apartment complex in the 14000 block of Via Fiesta when the suspect pulled up to the curb next to her and told her to get in his car. The victim said there was a gun on the dashborad of the suspect's car. The girl ran to get away from the suspect. The suspect followed the girl in his car but she was able to run to a nearby apartment and call police.
  • Three girls reported that a man in a small white compact offered them a ride home.
  • The girl said that as she walked by a red, four-door pickup, a man asked her for the time, Erwin said. "She looked down for her cell phone and he grabbed her and threw her against the truck," she said. The girl said she elbowed the man in the stomach and ran. "He got back in his truck and fled," Erwin said. The girl ran home and called 911.
  • According to Higgins, a dirty-white, older model van pulled up alongside the woman, who is in her 20s, and the men asked for directions. When the woman approached the vehicle, the van door swung open and one of the men tried to pull her inside, the sergeant said. "She punched one of the suspects and the van was last seen fleeing in an unknown direction," Higgins said. The vehicle had a sliding door and small windows in the back, he said.
  • The girl reported that she was approached by an alleged armed man driving an older, light blue sports car with a black top, orange rust, tinted windows and a small back window with black around the edge. He was reported to be Hispanic, about 30 years old, heavy build, wearing a short sleeved t-shirt. The girl yelled and ran, and he returned to his vehicle. Neither the man or the vehicle has been spotted by police.

You're right. These attempted abductions happen quickly and your adrenaline has you in fight or flight mode. I'm amazed that any of the victims were able to get a description of the perps. or vehicles.

That's why the iPods/ex-Walkmans are a really bad idea while jogging/walking. They are too much of a distraction and block out awareness of the surroundings.

We ought to start a campaign to educate people about wearing earphones/earbuds or glueing themselves to the cell phone when in an exposed, public place. Better for people to stop, find a spot where their back is protected and they have a clear field of vision and then make the call. The current concern over young college men found drowned in rivers or who have disappeared altogether indicates that all of us ought to have our antennae up when we are out in public. Gavin de Becker in his book The Gift of Fear talks about how people shut off their senses, which are what nature gave us to feed our instincts, including the ability to sense danger. These problems are magnified for young people, who often are conditioned to respect adults and aren't aware of the importance of the first few seconds of an attack, the seconds before the predator has control.

After I logged out of here earlier today, I decided to do some research on past cases involving abduction of girls/women in So. Cal. by using a van. Do any of you remember these monsters?

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/predators/bittaker_norris/1.html

I was also thinking about location. They chose a remote location for their torture and murder and dumped the bodies of these precious girls into a canyon.

Then I log back in later and hear about Amber...

Age: Approximately 13-18 years old (possibly middle- to high-school age
Clothing: Dark (Individual was possibly wearing a dark-colored backpack.)
Height: Tall
Complexion: Dark
Build: Medium build

Hmmm Possibly Indian?

Hmmm Possibly Indian?

I had the same thought considering Amber's parent's private investigator stated that he had known about the location where they found Amber today, that Texas Equusearch dogs had picked up her scent in that area and that Escondido PD hadn't followed up on it until yesterday (though FBI dogs had found nothing there). Given the location, it could very well be native american and not connected to Chelsea at all. The timing only seems like a coincidence because Escondido PD is being pressured to find her since they did so little to begin with. They sort of have egg on their face after the quick response time to Chelsea in their neighbor city and the results of being on top of your game. Perhaps this is why they finally started following up on tips regarding Amber. This might not be related to JAG at all. We may have a separate killer here.

I wonder if LE has now reapproached the people who sighted the male with amber and shown them a picture of JG? Also would be a good idea to get a composite sketch.. (would of thought they would have done that by now but in cya mode hindsight goes out the window I hope and guess!)

Wondering if this young man was paid by Gardner to help him find potential victims by trolling the internet. Or it could have been Gardner himself conversing, and this young man was recruited to physically help lure Amber on the day she was abducted. If so, she might have told them that she was going to walk to school that day and purchase the lamb. But then how would they know what she looked like, etc.

If this young man was paid by Gardner as a lure, they could have just chosen that school location on that day and it was opportunity when Amber walked down the street.

I have a tendency to think that there is a young accomplice who knew the location where Amber's body was and is the one who led LE there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back