GBI to deny Hustler request for Emerson photos

Texas Mist

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
(Updated) Exclusive: GBI to deny Hustler request for Emerson photos

9:06 am March 8, 2010, by Aaron Gould Sheinin

Hustler magazine has requested, through Georgia’s Open Records Act, copies of documents related to the January 2008 murder and decapitation of hiker Meredith Emerson, but House Speaker David Ralston (R-Blue Ridge) is urging the GBI to deny the magazine’s request for crime scene photographs.

Ralston this morning told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he has asked the Georgia Bureau of Investigation to deny Hustler, a noted *advertiser censored* publication, copies of the photographs that show the 24-year-old Emerson’s nude and dismembered body.

Update 11:26 a.m.: John Bankhead, spokesman for the GBI, said the agency does not plan to release Emerson’s crime scene photos to the magazine.

“We feel like the intent of the legislation is not to release them,” Bankhead said. “This is just an affront to the victim’s family. It’s incredible that anybody would ask for something like this.”

more here

http://blogs.ajc.com/gold-dome-live...-to-fight-hustler-request-for-emerson-photos/

Larry Flynt has gotten on my last nerve...this is sick, disgusting & revolting....he's heartless. :furious:

How horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WTH?????

I didn't think I could think any worse of Hustler, they just proved me wrong.
To me, that's not even human! EVIL

Im so angry right now. This poor girl was kidnapped tortured and beheaded by a serial killer Gary Hilton...Her poor parents...OMG. I'M :furious:

Im going to see what the public can do about this magazine. Who the advertisers are in this crappy disgusting magazine. :banghead:

Problem is the main street media is not reporting on the magnitude or duration of Gary Hiltons' reign of Terror…Total Victims?..Associates? sidekicks?

Four Hour Response Time to the Huddle House on 01/03/08?
Lack of a 911 call by John Tabor, that any 7 year old would have made?http://cnmnewsnetwork.com/12421/7-year-old-911-call-audio-and-video/

Missinformation that jeopardized the lives of the searchers on Blood Mountain for 3 days & nights in treacherous terrain and weather conditions, although the k9s indicated that Meredith Emerson was abducted and left the Mountain by auto.

Missleading the American People by corraling the media(local & National) in a media center, and spoonfeeding them missinformation.

GMH & Attorney Sam Rael/Producer Deadly Run Movie: 'Hunting Humans'. 1994?

GMH torching fiancee's home 1982 with 3 occupants/no charges filed?

Ask yourself why a rag such as Hustler Magazine, would send an investigative reporter 3,000 miles to file a FOI request over two years after the tragedy occured?

I am confident that this is not about the crime scene photos.
Considering the intent or motive; who leaked this to the media. What media organization or specifically, what journalist broke this story? Why?

The ’signature’ seems obvious to me.
If your intent was to deflect from the truth, or cause a distraction, what better way to accomplish this result, than to focus on the distraught family of an innocent victim: Meredith Hope Emerson, whose tragic story has affected people from all over the globe?
IMO, this is another pathetic, yet effective political attempt by the PR Unit to cause interference, by creating public outrage. The focus or emphasis placed on the crime scene photos, rather than the FOI request for all Investigative records, which was obviously leaked to the media, by someone with an agenda, is an indicator of previous impotent media management techniques, employed by the GBI’s leadership and the other Politicians involved.

Hustler’s readership which has dwindled to 500,000 magazines in recent years from a high of over 3,000,000, will now fly off the shelves. By creating this ‘media firestorm’, the opposite results intended have been achieved.

(From a Google Search of Hustler - Emerson 3,260,000 Links).

As was the case in the attempted rescue of Meredith Hope Emerson.. May she rest in peace.

Well, it acutally IS about the crime scene photos and changing the law to protect the dignity of victims.

Georgia judge bars release of photos of hiker's nude, decapitated body
By Emanuella Grinberg, CNN
March 11, 2010 4:11 p.m. EST

Atlanta, Georgia (CNN) -- Photos of the nude and decapitated body of a murdered hiker, sought by a writer on assignment for Hustler magazine, will not be released, a judge in Georgia ordered Wednesday.

The decision came as state lawmakers considered legislation that would ban public release of graphic photos of crime victims. First Amendment lawyers say the legislation could have a chilling effect on open records requests.

DeKalb Superior Court Judge Daniel Coursey issued a temporary order restraining the Georgia Bureau of Investigation from releasing "any and all photographs, visual images or depictions of Meredith Emerson which show Emerson in an unclothed or dismembered state.
The judge's order came on the same day the Georgia House Governmental Affairs Committee unanimously passed "The Meredith Emerson Memorial Privacy Act," which would prevent gruesome crime scene photos from being publicly released or disseminated, according to Rep. Jill Chambers, the bill's principal sponsor.

House Bill 1322 would prevent the release of photographs of the bodies of crime victims that are "nude, bruised, bloodied or in a broken state with open wounds, a state of dismemberment or decapitation," said Chambers.
The bill allows credentialed journalists, lawyers and law enforcement to view such photographs at the Georgia Bureau of Investigation's headquarters, Chambers said, but not make copies of them.

more here

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/03/10/meredith.emerson.photos/index.html

Gary Hilton Helped With a Horror Movie
Mar 14, 2008 ... The film called "Deadly Run" is about a serial killer who hunts women ... The producer of the film, Samuel Rael, says Hilton came up with the plot. ...

Rael, also an ATTORNEY remembers defending Hilton on several cases ...

Gary Hilton's Interviews with Law Enforcement - 11Alive.com | WXIA ...Mar 24, 2008 ... TRANSCRIPT OF GBI INTERVIEW WITH GARY MICHAEL HILTON (GMH). GBI SPECIAL AGENT CLAY BRIDGES (CB), GBI SPECIAL AGENT IN CHARGE (SAC) JOHN ...

GBI Releases Hilton Interview - 11Alive.com | WXIA | Atlanta, GA
Mar 25, 2008 ... Read the Transcripts The interview lasted more than two hours as Hilton was leading the GBI to Emerson's body. ...

Interview Transcript http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=113395

The above transcript was released in March 2008, over two years ago. With only a couple of minor omissions, graphic descriptions of the crime are contained throughout the interview which paints tragic, yet vivid pictures in the mind of the readers.

Why was there no outrage when the graphic transcript was released over two years ago? I submit that it was because there was no agenda or political intent..

Patrice Endres: The abduction in April 2004 of Patrice Endres, 38, who had run Tamber's Trim-N-Tan hair salon sparked a massive search in the area, but she has never been found.

Alleged serial killer Jeremy Jones, who was found guilty of murder in connection with an Alabama killing, is believed to be the primary suspect in the slaying of Endres.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005
Patrice Endres Has Been Located 12-6-05

Patrice was found on a road that has yet another church on the same street called "Sweet Water Creek" church. The same "Sweet Water Creek" Jeremy Jones spoke of disposing of Patrice. I now wonder was his confession true but sketchy because of his drug abuse? Authorities in Forsyth County say that because Patrice was not found where Jones claims he put her, does not mean he is cleared. They still believe he is the one who took Patrice that fateful day.What makes this mystery so interesting is the fact that Patrice was found five days after an Alabama judge sentenced Jeremy Jones to die for murdering another woman. The day Patrice was found was also on her husband's 60th birthday. My mother and I searched several church yards in the first months after Patrice's disappearance because my mother had a dream that Patrice was in a field with tall trees and she heard church hymns playing. We did not go too far to the next county where Patrice was ultimately found because being in the South, there is a church on every block. I have to wonder if he had kept searching because of mom's dream, would we have found Patrice? We dismissed it all as crazy dreams, because we all have them from time to time.

http://findcarrie.blogspot.com/2005/12/patrice-endres-has-been-located-12-6.htm

LE, searched Sweetwater Creek, in another County. Her remains were found near Sweetwater Creek, in Dawson County, GA, in the same vicinity as Levi,and Meredith....
GMH, had Associates.....

A friend of mine in Atlanta was just telling me about this the other night. Shocking and despicable IMO.

May Meredith and his other victims RIP

http://www.ajc.com/opinion/why-i-requested-slain-382763.html
Why I requested slain hiker's crime scene photos
By Fred Rosen

Why would a journalist want to see crime scene photos of Meredith Emerson, whose body was found nude and beheaded? Is there some sick prurient interest here?

More opinion »
Letters to the Editor
Why MARTA matters to Atlanta
Why I requested slain hiker's crime scene photos
Readers Write 03/19
Access laws need legal remedies to work better

Actually, none whatsoever. I never thought about it that way. I don’t know of anybody who did.

I’m the author and reporter who made the open records request regarding the official record of Emerson’s homicide. The crime scene photos were a part of that request.

At the time, I had no idea what state her body was in. I was reporting a true-crime story for Hustler Magazine on Gary Michael Hilton, who killed Emerson and is the suspect in murders in Florida and North Carolina.

For a reporter doing his job, the crime scene photos are essential to the reporting. The idea is not only to understand what happened, but to piece together how it happened.

I use them to double-check if what the killer told police is true; to see if his M.O. fits in with the other crimes he’s charged with; and to see if there are similarities and/or differences compared to unsolved murders.

Hilton, for example, took off Emerson’s clothes because he is a serial killer who understands how forensic evidence can prove guilt. He didn’t want any evidence that could tie him to the crime. He hid everything. That’s what makes him particularly dangerous.

Transcripts of a confession are not enough, especially when the suspect is a self-admitted sociopath such as Hilton.

Hilton’s a liar. How else can I tell what happened without looking at the shots?

Crime scene photos also help reveal the why, or motive, of the crime.

For example, if a victim died from bludgeoning, crime scene pictures might show bruises on the decedent’s arms, indicating resistance. That’s important not only as to the victim’s character, but as to the force the killer used without feeling guilt about what he was doing.

In a capital murder case especially, police want more than a confession to get a conviction that can survive appeal. That’s why the forensic evidence gathered while the killer is giving his confession can trump the defendant’s appeal that the confession was coerced.

Crime scene evidence can also be used to tie murder suspects to other open cases in which his name has appeared as a suspect. This is especially true for Hilton, who will stand trial in September for the brutal murder of Cheryl Dunlap in Florida in early December 2007.

When news of Emerson’s murder reached Florida in January 2008, authorities there knew Georgia had their suspect and they extradited him. Florida is trying Hilton on murder charges with death by lethal injection or electrocution a possible outcome.

In an effort to get a conviction, the state will almost certainly introduce photographs of Dunlap’s body in open court. Florida judges often allow the evidence in criminal trials to be photographed and handled by the public.

If the Florida jury goes into the penalty phase after a conviction, the state can and will bring in evidence of Hilton’s previous crimes to get the jury to sentence him to death. That evidence can include crime scene photos from previous crimes.

After his Florida trial, Hilton will be transported to North Carolina to stand trial for killing Irene and John Bryant. Authorities in Transylvania County, where Irene Bryant was killed, are hopeful that the North Carolina federal attorney who now has jurisdiction in the case will cede it back to the state, which could then try Hilton for murder, once again with the death penalty on the table.

Before that happens, Hilton will continue to be investigated by law officers throughout the South who believe he committed more than these four murders.

When I submitted my request for photos to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, I read the Georgia Open Records Act to see what I could and could not ask for under Georgia law. I didn’t see anything that excluded crime scene photographs.

I’ve written books about homicides in many states, including Florida, Michigan, California, Louisiana, Kansas, Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York. Until this case, I have never been denied crime scene photographs by the police and/or state.

As for the disposition of crime scene photos I might have been given, it’s the publisher’s decision what to publish, not mine. Regarding what Hustler may or may not have published, my editor was ready to change my request to simply ask for any crime scene photographs, and would have been satisfied with images of yellow crime-scene tape or tire tracks.

Subsequent legal action made this a moot point before the request could be entered.

Fred Rosen, a writer and historian, is the author of many true crime books including “Deadly Angel” and “Lobster Boy.” His book “The Historical Atlas of American Crime” won Library Journal’s “Best Reference Source of the Year.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alicialynne
Back