TN - Cheyenne McKeehan, 3, dies after finding loaded gun, Lebanon, 7 March 2010

2goldfish

Reaction score
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...Girl-kills-mistaking-handgun-Wii-control.html

Cheyenne Alexis McKeehan, three, shot herself in the stomach with the .380 caliber, semi-automatic weapon after finding it lying on a table in the living room.

Her mother was sitting at the computer just a few feet away while her three-month-old brother was also playing nearby.

Investigators today said that the child had probably mistaken the weapon for a Wii control.

Her mother, Tina Ann Cronberger, 32, told them Cheyenne had played on the games consol for days at a time.

I dont know what's goin on here but I dont believe it for a minute. I am pretty sure stepdad shot her and momma's covering for him.

this sounds like the guy who claimed he was using is pistol as a hammer and it went off and killed his wife.
nonsense

Seriously? I can see how the guns appear very similar and that a child would probably not know the difference. HOWEVER, with mom sitting right there, and a 3 month old in the house, you'd think she'd have noticed a real gun laying out. Also, seeing as how the guns look so similar, I personally would not let my DD play with the toy gun to ensure there was no confusion.

My FIL recently bought a gun. My DD is 4 and spends a lot of time over there. We showed her the gun, unloaded and told her that she is never, never to play with it. And if she is ever over someone's house and sees something that looks like that, she should immediately go tell and adult and not to touch it or get near it because it can hurt you very badly. She does not know where FIL's gun is kept, and the ammo is kept separate. Both out of reach of DD. But we wanted her to know what a gun looks like and that it's NOT a toy. She does get to play with squirt guns and such because they are obviously toys, but she needs to confirm with a grown up first.

I know it's easy to see stuff in hindsight, and I'm hoping this is just a terrible accident. If it is, I'm sure the mother is beating herself up right now.

why is a loaded gun in a room with children? why would it ever be? an accident such as this, if this is what occurred, should come with severe penalties for adults in charge of the children when they are this young...

The child plays on the games consol for "days at a time"????? A three-year-old?

if she thougt it was a controller, wy would she aim it at herself?

none of tis adds up

I believe there are laws that make the parents guilty of a child death from a household gun left where children have access to it.

There is no excuse.

I support this law.

why is a loaded gun in a room with children? why would it ever be? an accident such as this, if this is what occurred, should come with severe penalties for adults in charge of the children when they are this young...

This is what I thought immediately. A loaded gun lying out in the open with children around? Who would be so stupid? I know people have the right to keep guns, but isn't there a law that requires them to lock them up?

Not seeing the similarity.....:snooty:

RUGER%20LCP.jpg

wii_zapper_3.jpg

My grandson has a Wii and plays it occasionally. The controllers are MUCH lighter than an actual weapon. This can NOT be what occured based on logistics, the ability to aim and fire the weapon that way as well as the general circumstances. No way, no shape, no how!! This doesn't walk talk or smell like a duck!

also doesnt it take some pressure to pull the trigger on a real firearm?

what rang my bells is that stepdad took gun from "locked cabinet", checked for a prowler then......put the gun...on the table....in the room with small children in it...and went back to bed.

right.

eta oh yeah and with the safety off. right.

I've never fired a gun before. Would it be very difficult for a three year old to pick one up, point it, and fire?

article-1256641-08A507A0000005DC-530_468x342.jpg

I agree they look a like.

But the big thing is why they let a toddler play with either of them.

So sad.

I guess whoever fired the gun will have gun powder residue all over their hands. I suppose it will not be difficult for LE to confirm who fired the fatal shot.

This child did not kill herself. Her step father did when he left the gun out on the table. They need to start charging these parents with murder or neglict at the least. A child's life is gone when it does not need to be.

No way do I think a 3 year old ha the strength to hold this gun and put enough pressure on the trigger for it to go off.

JMO

This accident happened a few miles from my house.( Did this gun not have a safty on it? I know my husband shoots alot and when a gun is on safety its hard to get off.I agree i dont see how this happened.I dont see how she was stronge enough to hold the gun much less pull the trigger.

Well, from some other stories, we know a child, even a three year old can pull the trigger on certain firearms...but a .380 semi? We'll have to see where that angle goes.
A three year old taking the safety off a .380 semi? Bullsquid. Safety wasn't on it, if she was the one that really fired it, IMO.

Yes, there are laws regarding safe care of firearms, especially near kids. I hope they choose to enforce them, even if she did shoot herself, she never should have access to the gun. There's a crime there, right along with the tragedy.

I have kids. I have guns. These are two seperate statements, since I don't have kids and guns, they are never in contact with each other. My guns are in a locked bedroom, in a locked closet, in a locked safe, with the safeties on, unloaded. The ammo is stored in a different room, in a different safe, both locked. I can access my firearms in less than 45 seconds, my kids might be able to in about 45 days, if they got lucky with the lock codes. That makes me feel safe, both that I can have the guns to keep my family safe, but also that I can keep my family safe from the guns. It's a two way street.
The controller does look very much like a real gun, especially when seen by a three year old. This is why I am against toy guns, especially those that resemble real weapons. Children should be taught that guns are dangerous and threatening, not toys.
Makes me a bit ill.

I don't think toy guns should even be available in America until we get a handle on how to keep real ones away from kids-we obviously can't get rid of real guns, but if a kid is used to picking up and pointing a toy gun, they will not see the difference the day mommy or daddy leaves out the real one...or if a little older, they may know it is real but just want to see if it feels like the toy one...one of these tragedies is too many (if that is what this is...)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back