2010.03.14 Attorney Richard Hornsby discussing this case

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds good, glad its on early. I have missed RHorsnby's input very much, wish he would come back here and answer questions.
Thanks for finding this World.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...will we hear anything we haven't already heard as far as the money trail???????

Thankyou for the link World. I'm going to listen to this as I respect Mr Hornsby's opinion - and he doesn't mince words either.

If you're in Central time it's on in 25 minutes.

Thankyou for the link World. I'm going to listen to this as I respect Mr Hornsby's opinion - and he doesn't mince words either.

If you're in Central time it's on in 25 minutes.

That is so true Sally. He says what is on his mind.

Host: It was reported this week that George Anthony had a year long affair, and he told her Caylee's death was an accident that spiraled out of control.
Casey Anthony has been declared indigent by the clerk. There is a hearing on this matter next week. The mother, accused of murder, has no income, savings or assets, so where is the money coming from?

Richard Hornsby: "Let me correct you Steph, the media has reported that Jose Baez will be paid 15K by the state. He will not.Regarding her being declared indigent for costs. Jose Baez will not be paid ANY MONEY, he is not court appointed. A private, retained attorney that tries to have his client declared indigent does not get paid for representation. The state will pick up costs for expenses such as investigations, expert witnesses, things other than attorney fees."

Host: What about the money that has already been paid out, over a hundred thousand?

RH: There are two Affidavits have to be filled out to request your client be declared indigent, an affidavit for status of finances right now, second is an affidavit regarding the lawyer to say how much they have been paid and where that money came from.

If Baez has a financial conflict of interest, if he was somehow deceptive, if he made a profit off of the money and brokered all these deals, and meanwhile has pinched pennies on handling her expenses, if he somehow was deceptive about how he handled her money,it is a problem. He could absolutely be disbarred.It is very clear how he drafted the affidavit he had Casey sign was CLEARLY prepared to protect himself and protect the third party. Baez did not want to declare her indigent because it would have let the cat out of the bag, of who had paid that money. If Baez has mismanaged her money,if there is a conflict of interest, that is the real issue. Jose Baez may have to step down in this case."

RH talking now but the GA's alleged gf to be discussed later. I'm soo over that story.

RH would have had her declared indigent a year ago.

RH "Andrea Lyon knows that she cannot properly defend Casey while they are pinching pennies, so she likely forced his hand to declare her indigent."

"Jose has brokered all the deals and that creates a conflict of interest. He wasn't let in by the Florida bar for several years because he couldn't manage his money". He makes a profit off of how much he doesn't spend on other people, and if you notice he had all these people on the case pro bono,that is more he can keep for himself, it just seems so blatant! If this information comes to light, it could be a big problem. Understand, the only person who can complain about this is Casey Anthony, unless it comes out in the hearing.

RH: "He could be disbarred, if he wasn't using this money in Casey's best interest, if he didn't have her money in a trust account, if he was co-mingling the money, if he brokered these deals and managed her money yes, he absolutely could be disbarred."

RH " You cannot sell your clients rights, you cannot sell even yours, you cannot sell her media publication rights. It would be a conflict of interest. He cannot broker the deal and then manage the money. The only way it would have been anywhere close to ethical and within the rules would be if he got a sep. lawyer to come in and broker the deal and manage her money."

Host " The grandparents could get paid and then give the money to the defense, right?"

RH " That did not happen. The grandparents did not get paid these amounts. They have been deposed. They have been asked under oath how Jose Baez is being paid. They said they do not know. They denied it under oath. It was Casey Anthony or Jose Baez. If he brokered these deals it is unethical, it is against the rules."

The March 25th hearing was sealed. SOME MEDIA OUTLET NEEDS FILE A MOTION TO REQUEST THAT BE UNSEALED BECAUSE NOW THAT THE STATE IS GOING TO PAY, THE PUBLIC HAS THE RIGHT TO KNOW. (Mr. Hornsby is speaking of the time they all went into a side room with the judge for five minutes where Casey and Baez explained the source of the money.) That was sealed because they didn't want to disclose to the public how he was being paid.

Jose Baez hasn't spent money doing many depositions or anything else in the case. He has totally mismanaged this case from day one. Nothing at all was getting done until Andrea Lyon came into the case, nothing. Think about it, the less money he spends, the more money he makes."

RH "She was only in three places, jail ,home confinement and his office, so it had to happen on his watch. We do not have to speculate."

Mr. Hornsby said it was ABC likely leaking out this BOGUS story about the mistress, it is coming out at this time to deflect attention away from the in upcoming hearing. Suddenly Kathi is not going after Baez when his financial empire is about to collapse. Under Florida law it is a crime to commit fraud. This is a big story she would normally be busting wide open.

When these news agencies approached Baez they thought he knew what he was doing, and have since found out he doesn't, they likely have been doing damage control for the last year. What is clear to me is that ABC does not want this to come to light.

Missed some but caught that RH wonders why Kathi Belich is not on the money source. I think we know why.

RH: Kathi Belich attacks Jose Baez like a pit bull, she goes after him, she would normally be on him like white on rice. She isn't all over him about the financial problems here. This is a big, big story!!! She hasn't touched it. WHY? Because ABC doesn't want her to touch that with a ten foot pole!!!!! It is a huge problem.

THE J A C , they manage all the state funds, they attend all the hearings, are going to look into this in a perfunctory way, as usual, normally they appear by phone .They are not going to know the background of this case. So, unless someone brings them up to speed, they are not going to be well informed about these issues, they wont know that Baez had a secret hearing that was sealed. They aren't going to know Jose Baez has all of these financial problems. Unless Judge Strickland wants to take the bull by its horn and bust this open for them, all they will see is the paperwork and maybe it will get past them."

RH "As a taxpayer it really makes me mad."

Rozzie: The fact that Kathi would know to do this. That she isn't busting this wide open..she works for ABC, is this kind of a cover up? ( She is referring to this ridiculous story about George Anthony's love life trying to distract attention away from this hearing.)

Just because you compile a dream team doesn't mean you have the best.

RH" The concern is Casey will bring up this money mismanagement on appeal, for sure , she will say he pinched pennies, he tried to save money for himself, he delayed my trial, he did a bad job,because he was trying to cover his own butt."

Host : You lose a lot of business when you have a high profile client?

RH: " If Jose Baez would have handled this case right, it could have been the most lucrative case for him. When it first came out I had clients s coming to me, because he was quoting them astronomical fees. This could have been a gold mine for him. What has hurt him is he has become a clown, legal clown. He can't even get the margins right on his documents.

On his team, he has nobody from Florida and that is his biggest problem."

Rozzie " Well what about all these motions he has filed.
RH: . "That is Andrea Lyon, Andrea Lyon ..case closed. Did you see the motions he drafted before she entered the case?"

RH " Jose Baez cannot have all these high priced experts on this case. He can not travel incessantly , he cannot over bill. If she is declared indigent experts will have a limited amount of hours they can work ,they must prepare line item invoices and their pay will be maxed at $150.00 per hour.
They fight you tooth and nail on every cost!! You spend more time billing than working on the case. I know of lawyers that will refuse to take a case like this because of it."

RH " I would never have taken the case without being paid up front. I would have hired Florida lawyers. I would never have brought in anyone from out of town. I would have opened up a trust account and hired another lawyer to manage the money,so I wouldn't have to worry about being disbarred. Indigency should have been declared a long, long time ago. I would have done it a year ago!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni