Plagued By Mysterious Knocking, Widowed Women Turn To Police

PoppyH

Scampii, My Cleaner Shrimp!!
Reaction score
RUTHERFORDTON, N.C. -- Five widowed women living near Rutherfordton have one eerie thing in common: persistent knocks on their doors and windows at night.

One 83-year-old woman, who was interviewed for this story but did not want her identity revealed, said the knocks have gone on for more than a decade at her home.

About three years ago, she said she learned that four other older, widowed women living in the area were dealing with the same problem.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/22847608/detail.html

More at Link

Spooky!!!

If this were TX I would say we finally had a clue to the serial rapist...

Wow. This is bizarre. I really hope and pray they find the sick jerk doing this. This must just be horrible for these dear ladies.

Since it's gone on for ten years with one woman it must be an older man who hasn't moved and can easily get to their homes and do this. I don't suppose it could be a cat or dog that's let out at night. You'd think someone would have thought to put up motion detectors or a video recorder to try and catch the knocking.

'by the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes.

up locks, whoever knocks.'

macbeth, act 4 scene one

Since it's gone on for ten years with one woman it must be an older man who hasn't moved and can easily get to their homes and do this. I don't suppose it could be a cat or dog that's let out at night. You'd think someone would have thought to put up motion detectors or a video recorder to try and catch the knocking.

According to the artical, they had cameras set up and police watching, and caught nothing, but soon as the Police leave, the knocking begins, weird as all get out, and Im sure very scary for these poor ladies

For all those Unsolved Mysteries fans -- it's the Wackers all over again!

This is bizarre and spooky! It is interesting the cops have not caught anything with their cameras yet according to the woman interviewed the knocks have increased. If it is a person who is doing this the only explanation is they saw the police install the cameras and have figured out how to avoid them....?

I wonder if the hang-up phone calls before the knocking began was the perp verifying the woman was home?

This gives me the creeps. I could not imagine having to deal with that everynight while home alone. I would be a nervous wreck.

Here is another article - a little more indepth:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/03/15/1314599/a-dread-of-the-coming-dark-and.html

And THIS is creepy:
An 82-year-old widow said she left her basement door open one night by mistake and a knock came from right beneath her bed.
"He knows what time I go to bed," she said. "It never happens before then. It scares me to death."

According to this article the man has been seen peering in their windows and one of the woman's son used night vision googles and saw a man out in the field. Also, interesting to note that The Knocker knocks a specific amount of times on different womens houses. At one house he will knock 5 times, at another he knocks 3 times, etc. One woman marks down all the knocks and phone calls on a calendar.

I'm not elderly, widowed, or in the area this occurs. But I'm creeped out!

Only two words on this one......BIG DOG

or maybe three....big BARKING dog.....

jmoo

This is bizzare ... If this has been going on for years it is someone local, and it only starts after the women's husbands have passed on , and it around the same area.
Since the police have gotten involved it has increased but the police have not been able to catch anyone in 2 years ? :waitasec:

Here is my thought for what it is worth .. lol.

This dude has a police scanner and knows everything the police are doing since they have became involved. He is related to law enforcement in some way and has inside knowledge of what is going on like when, how, and where, heck maybe he is LE. He may know these women personally or had been friends with their husbands, like someone who has done yardwork for them, fixed their car, something like that ...

First I would fence a yard around the house, doesn't have to be a big fence just one to keep a dog in, my choice would be a very big protection dog like a German Shepherd, put a doggie door in so the dog could come and go. The dog would hear him before he had a chance to knock and hopefully bite him on the bum on his way back over the fence ...lol. Even a little dog would work they are protective and will bite if they feel threatened ....
If after that there was still knocking I think I would call in the Ghost Busters to stay the night ....lol :crazy:

If this was happening to me I would never be able to sleep until I filled his behind with buckshot ....

I feel sorry for these women, I don't believe they are making it up, it is way creepy, stuff like that just freaks me out !

Then again, it could be The Tommyknockers......... poor ladies, I hope they catch who is doing this!!

Not last nite but the nite before

Tommyknockers Tommyknockers knockin at the door

I'd be furious if this was my mom - and she'd either be living with me (again) or I'd be living with her until I figured it out. And yes, totally agree about a big german shepherd.

Never heard of this, whats a wacker?? LOL:waitasec:

On the Unsolved Mysteries show, they had a program once about an elderly couple called the Wackers. The Wackers were harrassed by an unknown assailant. The mystery person would knock on their door at night, leave threatening notes, call them, etc. It lasted for years. Mrs. Wacker was attacked at least once. They set up a surveillance camera, bright lights, etc. They had a stake-out. Nothing ever came of it. People even suspected they were doing it to themselves.

This knocking case in Rutherfordton sounds simliar to me.

This is bizzare ... If this has been going on for years it is someone local, and it only starts after the women's husbands have passed on , and it around the same area.
Since the police have gotten involved it has increased but the police have not been able to catch anyone in 2 years ? :waitasec:

Here is my thought for what it is worth .. lol.

This dude has a police scanner and knows everything the police are doing since they have became involved. He is related to law enforcement in some way and has inside knowledge of what is going on like when, how, and where, heck maybe he is LE. He may know these women personally or had been friends with their husbands, like someone who has done yardwork for them, fixed their car, something like that ...

First I would fence a yard around the house, doesn't have to be a big fence just one to keep a dog in, my choice would be a very big protection dog like a German Shepherd, put a doggie door in so the dog could come and go. The dog would hear him before he had a chance to knock and hopefully bite him on the bum on his way back over the fence ...lol. Even a little dog would work they are protective and will bite if they feel threatened ....
If after that there was still knocking I think I would call in the Ghost Busters to stay the night ....lol :crazy:

One outside yard dog, a really mean, large one. No doggie door. If a large dog can come into the house, a man can also crawl through the dog door. Add one large, mean inside dog for the house plus one .357 revolver and I think that this case can be solved.

So, has the plumbing been checked. Water pipes go on for miles.

I think this mystery can be solved.

Terrifying. I can think of a few ways to catch who's doing this. I wonder if its illegal to boobytrap your own property in NC.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back