Author Ann Rule mentions Casey Anthony in new book

Status
Not open for further replies.

smart blonde

Websleuths Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, I walked down to my local bookstore, and bought true-crime writer Ann Rule's book, "But I Trusted You", (from her 'Crime Files' series, Volume 14- copyright 2009, Simon & Schuster).

I was just reading along, when suddenly, on page 79 (of the paperback edition), I read,

"Infamous female criminals like Susan Smith, Casey Anthony, and Dianne Downs have devised similar schemes, building castles in the sky out of diaphanous threads hooked to weak foundations. They all murdered their own children, sacrificing them to get what they wanted, to find perfect love. And there have been scores more women without conscience who have killed people who trusted them to achieve what they think will make them happy".

It caught me by surprise to stumble across Casey's name like that, I guess because Casey has yet to even go to trial- and here it is stated as fact that Casey murdered her own child, and "sacrificed her" to get what she wanted. (Although I agree completely with Ms. Rule's assessment).

I guess the way Casey would see it, is if Ann Rule is mentioning her in books, even referring to her as 'infamous', Casey has truly 'arrived'.

It just occurred to me that Ann Rule also gave the reason she thinks Casey murdered Caylee. Ann Rule must think Casey did it for 'love'.

Thanks for the thread! Good find!

I felt the same surprise when I was watching one of those documentaries by one of the cable channels....I think it was called something like Fatal Beauty....and KC was the #1 murderer....without having stood trial yet....

I imagine it will suit KC just fine to be infamous in prison rather than trapped in her former life in the A household with "that child".....

Hi smart blonde,
I am so glad to have found your thread!! I love reading Ann Rule and will now go directly to amazon and order it. Ann has written about so many murders that I believe she has been keeping up with the ants circus for a possible future book. I just can't wait!! ;)

The very last group of names I would want to be linked with... Susan Smith and Diane Downs. Ugh. Casey does seem to fit right in there with them.

Although, I am not convinced that the main reason that Casey killed Caylee (because in my opinion, she did kill Caylee) was for love.

I think it had to do more with hating her parents, and revenge. But, love of men and want of 'freedom' do fit in there somewhere, I guess.

This is just the beginning of running across references to Casey Anthony in popular culture. (And to think we've been following this case since Day 1/ Day 31)!

I have a feeling her name will soon crop up as often as Ted Bundy's.

Infamous, indeed.

Ann Rule has been my favorite true crime author for years upon years. I don't know if there is a book of hers I haven't read including But I Trusted You. I love her books.

Interesting.

If:if by some bizarre chance Casey were found NG, would there be legal issues for Ann Rule?

I guess I'm just surprised to see that in print before a trial. I wonder if she knows something about the defense that we don't know. (Like an EED defense?)

The very last group of names I would want to be linked with... Susan Smith and Diane Downs. Ugh. Casey does seem to fit right in there with them.

Although, I am not convinced that the main reason that Casey killed Caylee (because in my opinion, she did kill Caylee) was for love.

I think it had to do more with hating her parents, and revenge. But, love of men and want of 'freedom' do fit in there somewhere, I guess.

This is just the beginning of running across references to Casey Anthony in popular culture. (And to think we've been following this case since Day 1/ Day 31)!

Infamous, indeed.
Ann Rule stated in "But I Trusted You", Page 79, "Infamous female criminals like Susan Smith, Casey Anthony and Diane Downs have devised similar schemes..." then goes on to say.. "They all murdered their own children, sacrificing them to get what they wanted, to find perfect love." My opinion of what she meant is that Casey Anthony, along with Susan S. and Diane Downs, killed their children to get whatever it was that they wanted..i.e. their children stood in their way... in Susan and Diane's case, it was a man and their children stood in the way of their selfish needs and desires for a man, and in KC's case my opinion is that little Caylee stood in the way of her freedom to be able to go and do whatever she wanted to do.

As far as "love" goes.... none of the three knows anything about love. All three are sociopaths. JMO

Infamous, indeed.
Thanks for the thread ... I supposed publishers and authors aren't concerned about being sued ... not if they write was is the truth and will come out to be the truth ... even Ann Rule doesn't believe her !

Interesting.

If:if by some bizarre chance Casey were found NG, would there be legal issues for Ann Rule?

I guess I'm just surprised to see that in print before a trial. I wonder if she knows something about the defense that we don't know. (Like an EED defense?)

I would think Casey could sue both the author and the publishing house even if she is found guilty. I love Ann Rule, but that isn't right IMO

I would think Casey could sue both the author and the publishing house even if she is found guilty. I love Ann Rule, but that isn't right IMO

if she is found guilty she belongs there.

however I too dont think it's a good idea to say such a thing before a conviction.

Why not? Many here have said the very same thing.

if she is found guilty she belongs there.

however I too dont think it's a good idea to say such a thing before a conviction.
I am a big fan of Ann Rule- and no fan of Casey Anthony's.

I, too, believe that Casey is guilty of killing Caylee.

But, this is exactly what gave me pause- that it is stated in print, as fact, that Casey murdered her child. As if she has already been convicted.

It would lend itself to the Defense's argument (also during a possible appeals process) that Casey Anthony can't/ couldn't get a 'Fair Trial' anywhere, as she has already been tried and convicted through the media, and the court of public opinion.

This mention in this book could work towards proof of this claim. (As well as the John Walsh of 'America's Most Wanted' interview).

No one could argue that Ann Rule's books are far reaching, and read by people throughout the world. Ann Rule is one of the most popular authors of the 20th/ 21st centuries. She has a huge fan base, with readership in the millions.

Why not? Many here have said the very same thing.

For exactly the same reason as stated by Smart Blonde. And, I would add, because in our judicial system there is the presumption of innoscense. I don't think Casey is innocent: but I'm not a famous author stating it as fact ahead of time to the masses, either.

The thing is... Ann Rule didn't use the word 'alleged', or offer it as an opinion- she stated it as a fact. As if it were post-conviction.

"Infamous female criminals like Susan Smith, Casey Anthony, and Diane Downs have devised similar schemes, building castles in the sky out of diaphanous threads hooked to weak foundations. They all murdered their own children, sacrificing them to get what they wanted, to find perfect love. And there have been scores more women without conscience who have killed people who trusted them to achieve what they think will make them happy."

According to Ann Rule's full bibliography on Wikipedia.org, this is Ms. Rule's most recent book.

Maybe she assumed that Casey would have already been convicted by the time the book hit the stands. I don't know.

I'm more concerned that it could be used to prove that Casey couldn't get a fair trial during the probable appeals process, than that Casey would sue the author and book publisher for libel/ defamation/ slander/ whatever.

Is Ms. Rule not allowed to form her own opinion about KC? Many people have said, KC murdered Caylee like Kio Maire to the NE. Was the NE sued by KC for that story?

Is Ms. Rule not allowed to form her own opinion about KC? Many people have said, KC murdered Caylee like Kio Maire to the NE. Was the NE sued by KC for that story?

The NE is always quoting someone else who said it, or will add "there is speculation that...", etc.

If I'm reading the post right (I haven't seen the book) she didn't qualify it with any sort of "in my opinion" or "sources believe" type of statement.

I'm not sure if it is still a rule here, but I remember a time during the Laci case when speculation was flying free and we were required to put something like "posts are my opinion" in our signatures to prevent legal issues.

While I personally believe Casey is guilty as sin, I admit it does bother me a little for it to be stated as a fact like that. If Ann Rule is allowed to write it about Casey, she could write it about anyone.

I read this too several weeks ago and was also suprised to see Casey had made the cut for infamous child murderers before being tried. I figured this gal must be fairly certain of the outcome to include it in a book BEFORE the trial...

I'm with her. The trial will be good confirmation for what is already known to be the truth of the matter-Casey killed Caylee. The end.

I am reading another book titled Guilty Until Proven Innocent, the story of Peter (Gibbons) Riley and in it I found another similarity to Casey's case. There was a fellow in the book who was eventually named as a suspect in the murder of Barbara Gibbons, and his girlfriend describes him waking in the middle of the night shaking and nearly terrified, so much so she would have to get up and sit with him...Sound familiar? Tony tells us that Casey did this same exact thing. Apparently killing someone brings on the night terrors...at least for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member