Identified! Blond Woman in Office Setting

This background also reminds me of a hospital waiting area.

01801.jpg

http://picasaweb.google.com/primewriternews/RodneyAlcalaPhotos?feat=flashalbum#5447990149686660914

Does look like a waiting room.

From what I know about AA and group therapy, they would not want someone snapping pictures during a meeting. JMO
What about a wedding reception? That fits with his "photographer" persona.

Hi there -- first time poster here and I must confess I won't be of much use, but I have to say that I have always felt that that photo was taken in a waiting room, yes, but of a doctor's office. The carpeting reminds me of the carpeting I'd see when I accompanied my grandparents to their doctor's appointments in the early '80s and I could be wrong but I do believe there's an artistic print hanging on the wall portrayed far across the room, akin to the prints seen in some doctor's office waiting rooms. And I could be wrong but I swear that the person in jeans sitting cross legged is sitting on a plush couch or loveseat akin to those I also remember being in some doctor's office waiting rooms.

I don't believe there would be these features in a hospital waiting room. I've only ever remembered hospital waiting rooms having linoleum floors (easier to clean) and being lit with bright fluorescent lighting (it looks to me in the photo that the lighting in this waiting room is coming from regular table lamps giving off a more yellowish light). As for the glass the woman (who looks like she'd have been a receptionist or office manager to me) is holding, I would think that if this photo were taken in a hospital she'd be more likely to be drinking out of a styrofoam or paper (with a waxed interior) cup instead of a glass that looks more like something she might've taken with her from home. Maybe Alcala was, er, *intrigued* by one of the office staff working for a doctor he saw?

I thought it looked like a university setting - library, common room etc but that doesn't explain the glass she is holding.

If you look closely, there is a Christmas tree behind her. You can see it behind her head, it has white (or yellow) lights and a reflective metallic decoration on top, my guess is that it's a star.

I have another theory on where they are, I think it is an office and it's the office Christmas party.

From 1975 to 1995 my dad worked in a very similar office at a bank. When you entered their section of the floor, there was a large open space where the secretaries sat. There was also chairs and couches where people with appointments could wait. The offices (like my dad's) were arrayed around the outside of the main room (since the execs got the windows, and of course doors on their offices).

If you've ever watched the show Mad Men, the environment is basically the same as in that picture. Secretaries in the common area with just a desk, some chairs for waiting for the execs, and executive offices around the outside so that they could have windows.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

This is my absolutely worthless two cents--I first said hospital waiting room because it looks exactly like our local hospital waiting area where you go to have lab tests. But I don't think they had carpeted areas like that back then.

If you look closely, there is a Christmas tree behind her. You can see it behind her head, it has white (or yellow) lights and a reflective metallic decoration on top, my guess is that it's a star.

I have another theory on where they are, I think it is an office and it's the office Christmas party.

From 1975 to 1995 my dad worked in a very similar office at a bank. When you entered their section of the floor, there was a large open space where the secretaries sat. There was also chairs and couches where people with appointments could wait. The offices (like my dad's) were arrayed around the outside of the main room (since the execs got the windows, and of course doors on their offices).

If you've ever watched the show Mad Men, the environment is basically the same as in that picture. Secretaries in the common area with just a desk, some chairs for waiting for the execs, and executive offices around the outside so that they could have windows.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Because of her pin, that's what I said too, but I think you're right I think that's a Christmas tree, we one of those ornament spindle tops. Good eye!

This is my absolutely worthless two cents--I first said hospital waiting room because it looks exactly like our local hospital waiting area where you go to have lab tests. But I don't think they had carpeted areas like that back then.

I disagree with the hospital idea for 2 reasons:

1) I don't think that they would carpet the floor. It would be hard to clean blood, puke, etc out of carpet, and it's impossible to disinfect.

2) The offices along the outside all are very open with glass everywhere. Hospitals and lab test places would have a much more private area where the could meet patients.

But who knows, the 70s were a strange time, it could be an elementary school for all I know.

Also most of the people in the photo appear to be women.

I agree my first thought when I saw this was a doctor's office.

Could this be from when he worked at the LA Times?

Remember the woman worked there said she was young and he showed her pictures of the naked girls. She asked what their mothers thought of it and he said the mom's asked them to take them. The woman said back then being young and free love and all that she never again questioned it.

Or maybe but I don't think so from when he worked as a Blue Shield guard? I think it was a big company back then. This woman's glasses what circa? Late 70's?

I was going to mention Blue Cross Blue Shield. Do we know that he worked there as a guard. Has it been verified?

I don't know that this is a possibility, but I was looking at people who went missing in December and found this one. Gloria Jean Baird http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2327dfga.html It would be hard to say if it was a possibility but I wanted to post it to see if anyone thought if might be possible.

I was going to mention Blue Cross Blue Shield. Do we know that he worked there as a guard. Has it been verified?

Not 100% sure, but I think it was he was employed by a security firm named "Blue Shield". Not a guard at Blue Cross/Blue Shield.

I don't know that this is a possibility, but I was looking at people who went missing in December and found this one. Gloria Jean Baird http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2327dfga.html It would be hard to say if it was a possibility but I wanted to post it to see if anyone thought if might be possible.

The height and weight look about right to me and that picture of Gloria is 3 years earlier than she went missing, so yes who knows. It does say she has a scar on the right side of her chin, and I don't see one in Alcala photo, but who knows how visible it is, especially if it's under makeup. She did go missing from a New Year's Eve Party. But I wonder if someone would still be wearing a Christmas wreath pin on New Years Eve? I still think this is an office Christmas party somewhere. And if you look at the girl's shoes sitting behind her they are open-toed, I have a feeling this is a picture from CA somewhere where the weather is warmer at Christmas time.

But anything is possible. He was on the lamb in 69. We still don't know where he was stationed in the Army in 1963, if it was GA, then that would be a tie in to the area.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vconners
Back