FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well then, with the "a mountain of evidence, admissions" etc. plus didn't the sheriff say in so many words the house was the crime scene? It seems game over to me! Momma has left town from press reports; which was to be his alibi from the phone call we heard. Seems as if he knows the "jig" is up with whatever "admissions" he gave. I hope what ever they have, his lawyer is satisfied & there is a "guilty plea" as a result.

Second LOL, his next court date IIRC is April 12? Would that be to make a plea?

I think so. If he confessed and pleads guilty, does he still have to have a jury trial? That seems ridiculous to me. I think the judge could just hand down a sentence, and spare the state the expense of a trial and spare the families of the emotional pain of a trial, both Somer's family and his own. I see no need for a trial if he pleads guilty, but IDK - that's why I'm asking.

New1, ITA I am wondering too. I don't know how this works, do they ask for the death sentence, then you plead? Or does that come after, because we always hear about the appeals in those cases? IDK and am wondering too how it works.

I googled the question " If a defendant pleads guilty does he have to have a trial?" and it was answered by an attorney in California who said he would not have to have a trial if the presiding judge accepted his plea. I don't know how accurate that is.

I have been searching too New1. No luck but have sure found some spooky cases and reading the appeals makes you sick.

Here are some circumstances as to why a plea of 'guilty' would require a trial - some states will not let you plead guilty to a capital one case - I think nurse put up a couple links yesterday saying Florida was NOT one of those states. moo

~~snip~~

If my client had the intention of pleading guilty, it is misguided and misinformed as to Arkansas law," Ferguson said from Memphis, Tennessee, on Thursday. "He can't plead guilty to a capital crime."

Many/most/all? states have special rules regarding capital crimes (crimes which carry the death penalty.) Arkansas apparently has a special rule that says that a person cannot plead guilty to a capital crime and they must be tried.

When you allow a person to plead guilty to a crime that carries the death penalty, you are permitting a situation where a person may be coerced to plead guilty or may choose to plead guilty for the wrong reasons (for instance this person may be mentally ill, or doesn't understand his constitutional rights, or may have a death wish, or may wish to become a martyr.) This undermines our legal system. When the stakes are this high and a defendant is facing the loss of his life, the state has an obligation to give an individual a fair trial and prove that this person has actually committed the crime that he is charged with.

~~snip~~ let's hope the link works!

http://community.dooce.com/politics...ill-trial-why-not-go-straight-sentencing-and-

Here is nursebeme's link and explanation form the last thread.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4980253&postcount=618"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased FL- Somer Renee Thompson, Orange Park, Thread #40[/ame]

I think so. If he confessed and pleads guilty, does he still have to have a jury trial? That seems ridiculous to me. I think the judge could just hand down a sentence, and spare the state the expense of a trial and spare the families of the emotional pain of a trial, both Somer's family and his own. I see no need for a trial if he pleads guilty, but IDK - that's why I'm asking.

There should stay be a trial, with the confession used/or not used as evidence.

My statement in the previous thread was based on the posts here that his confession may have been a full/formal confession, and not a partial confession/admission of facts.

I was saying, like you... that if LE got him to the point in which he made a full formal confession, and they have his full cooperation, that they should skip the trial and go on to the sentencing hearing.

This is my opinion only, based on... stuff.

:)

There should stay be a trial, with the confession used/or not used as evidence.

My statement in the previous thread was based on the posts here that his confession may have been a full/formal confession, and not a partial confession/admission of facts.

I was saying, like you... that if LE got him to the point in which he made a full formal confession, and they have his full cooperation, that they should skip the trial and go on to the sentencing hearing.

This is my opinion only, based on... stuff.

:)

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

As soon as he is arrested, he is provided a public defender unless his parents are hiring private attorneys. There is no lawyer that would allow their client to plead guilty unless there was a great offer on the table such as life without parole instead of the death penalty. Because in the lawyers mind, at least its a shot to try and discredit the evidence. Even confessions are sometimes ruled not admissible for one reason or another. Sad but true how the legal system works. I am not a lawyer but work very closely with them and have seen what happens in Fl.

Good morning y'all.

I still can't get over how good it feels to know justice has begun for Somer.
Also, that this guy will never hurt another child again.

What really makes me smile is I believe in final justice, and that will happen after he has taken his last breath and he meets our maker.

God don't like ugly and JH sure is an ugly soul.

JMO

Hundreds of People Listen to Six Bands Perform At The Jacksonville Landing With Donations Going to The Somer Thompson Foundation

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Crowds came out to the Jacksonville Landing for the music and good times, but mostly they came for the seven-year-old girl they may not have ever met but felt like they knew.

Six bands took the stage for Somer Jam on Saturday a concert to benefit the newly formed Somer Thompson Foundation.

The members of bands like "Shawn Fisher and the Jukebox Gypsies," say they were grateful for the chance to donate a performance.

"Musicians don't really get a chance that much except benefit concerts to show they care for the community so we wanted to come out and show our support," said Fisher.

And fans enjoying the shows feel they were also part of something bigger.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/topstories/news-article.aspx?storyid=153917&catid=3

Thousands Pack Landing For 'Somer Jam'
Fundraiser For The Somer Thompson Foundation

POSTED: Saturday, March 27, 2010
UPDATED: 11:11 am EDT March 28,2010
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Red Jumpsuit Apparatus and Molly Hatchet headlined a concert at the Jacksonville Landing Saturday, but all the attention was on Somer Thompson.

Thousands of people attended Somer Jam -- the very public launch of a foundation to financially assist families and victims of violent crimes.

The Somer Thompson Foundation was set up to honor the memory of the 7-year-old who was abducted and killed while walking home from school in her Orange Park neighborhood in October of 2009.

"You can't be mother and not feel something, or on on father for that matter," said Lee Krause, a volunteer for the foundation.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/22977905/detail.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member