WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salem

Former Member
Reaction score
Please continue here.

REMINDERS:

Message from Hoppyfrog, Moderator:

Terms of Service - Short, Plain Language Version

We have a detailed, formal Terms of Service (TOS) posted separately, and that TOS is what you will be held to as a member here. It's long and detailed because it has to be in the world we live in, and you are expected to read it, understand it and abide by it. However, we can sum it up as follows:

1) Be a decent human being;
2) Treat your fellow posters as the decent human beings they are;
3) Keep in mind that whatever you post will likely live on forever, so think before you press "Submit Reply".
4) It's a big world. People will disagree with you. You will disagree with them. This can be done with respect, and that's what we expect.

Some specifics about being “a decent human being”:

Being rude to our new posters or any poster for that matter, is against our TOS. If they ask a question you think has already been discussed, just pass on by it. Do not tell them to get up to speed before posting. That is rude and against our TOS.

Do not drag any innocent persons--such as SS's relatives--into this discussion, and certainly do not post personal information (names, addresses, phone numbers, etc) of innocent parties.

Do not post about other WS members, whether or not they are present. Do not post about why or why not they are present. That is called gossip, and we don’t do that at WS. It’s rude.

It is against TOS to try to guess or sleuth the identity of another poster at WS.

Links to social networking sites are allowed, but WS does not allow direct quotes or cut and pastes from them.

Please do not link to minors' pages.

If anyone has a problem with a post, please alert us to it using the alert button in the top right corner of each post. You will see a triangle with an exclamation mark in it there. Do not respond to a problematic post. That only compounds the problem and creates more work for the mods. Hit the alert button instead.

The complete TOS can be found here:

The Rules - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Please read and follow them.

Thank you.

Also - remember that talking about emailing or PM'ing each other is against the rules. You will find it in the TOS under "inviting." You can do it, you can't post about it.

Thread 4

Thread 3

Thread 2

Thread 1

WS is a victim friendly forum. That means we do not sleuth family or friends of a victim until LE or main stream media give us a reason too. We treat family and friends with respect and sensitivity.

We also recognize that each poster has an opinion. They are entitled to their opinion. If you disagree with the opinion, move on - do not respond and try to change their mind. Just move on. If their opinion or post is offensive, hit the alert button (the little red triangle in the upper right corner of the post), then move on.

When paraphrasing from articles, it is important to be accurate. Do not add words to the interviewer or the interviewee's comments.

It is recognized that this case may be at a cross roads and could potentially turn in a couple of different directions. If that happens, sleuthing will also take a turn. BUT sleuthing will not take that turn unless there are solid indications from LE or the main stream media.

If there is continued sleuthing or disparaging comments about family members, posters will be given time outs.

Thanks for keeping the focus on Shantina and Azriel.

Salem

Here I am on #5. Seems we have run out of ideas, but I am having an awful time letting go of both Shantina and Azriel, as irrational as it would seem. Well, I wonder where this thread will take us....if anywhere......:(:Banane37:
By the way, I am a producer on Now Public Media, which is how I became so caught up in this case. These were my 3 stories I posted, and then, I came here, because I wanted to know what happened, in depth...

http://my.nowpublic.com/world/no-clues-case-missing-shantina-smiley-and-8-year-old-son

http://my.nowpublic.com/world/autopsy-confirms-body-azriel-carver-cause-death-drowning

http://my.nowpublic.com/world/autopsy-boy-drowned-history-cps-neglect-and-abuse-probes

I went back through all the surveillance videos looking at SS for anything that might be a sign of illness or injury or a brain event, but I really didn't see anything. The videos were kind of jerky in movement, rather they made the people look jerky in movement so it wasn't very clear.

I went back through all the surveillance videos looking at SS for anything that might be a sign of illness or injury or a brain event, but I really didn't see anything. The videos were kind of jerky in movement, rather they made the people look jerky in movement so it wasn't very clear.
Yes, I noticed that too: Very choppy and lurching videos. Not easy to tell the actual movement.

When I do look at the clearer ones, she honestly does not look impaired to me, not in any obvious way. A stumbling, slurring person would be noticed more, and the police called, I assume, if it had been blatant and really obvious...
although she does hit the curb...
Do not know why I am stuck on her and her son in these tapes, as if watching them will change the outcome....Obsessive, much?
:crazy:
http://video.foxnews.com/v/4114833/new-clue-in-search-for-missing-mom/?playlist_id=87249

(supposedly) Azriel said his mommy hit her head. I don't know why that was dismissed out of hand. And there are so many other reasons why she could have acted the way she did. Someone mentioned migraines earlier; I hadn't considered that, but that was a good point too.

Rumor is that SS is a smart woman. Could SS possibly have planned a scheme, to get away, from what ever it might be, she wanted freedom from? Or, could it possibly be, that she trusted someone, to help her and her son, from the van, in the water? And, that person kidnapped them?

It's just my feeling that SS is alive. I am not sure where, though.

Rumor is that SS is a smart woman. Could SS possibly have planned a scheme, to get away, from what ever it might be, she wanted freedom from? Or, could it possibly be, that she trusted someone, to help her and her son, from the van, in the water? And, that person kidnapped them?

It's just my feeling that SS is alive. I am not sure where, though.

Again, IMO, if she wanted to "get away", she would not have made herself so visible, making all those stops asking for directions to a freeway that was practically within walking distance from where she was asking. I have never heard of someone calling such attention to their actions, wandering for hours in one location while they are running away

If someone wants to disappear/get away from it all, it is quite easy...you just quietly go without telling anyone...you just go. Either take your child(ren) with you or leave them with someone.

I do not believe Shantina was a monster and killed her child to start a new life. I do believe that whatever happened that night was not a planned event. Just an extremely sad and tragic event. Also, IMO, she is in the water.

Perhaps, she made herself noticeable, so it would seem she was having a possible problem, and people might think she drowned??? Then, she could disappear?

Or, perhaps, she was just kidnapped? Maybe a kidnapper harmed SS's son, and is holding SS captive?

The easiest, end of story conclusion is, that SS drowned. I won't believe unless her body is found.

Where can I find detailed info about the multiple CPS reports, especially ones filed btwn 04-06? I know in some of the previous threads there has been much referanced to these reports and discussion tho I havent, myself, seen any of the reports of excerpts from them If anyone knows where I could locate such info would post a link or even just point me in the correct direction? TIA!!!

Perhaps, she made herself noticeable, so it would seem she was having a possible problem, and people might think she drowned??? Then, she could disappear?

Or, perhaps, she was just kidnapped? Maybe a kidnapper harmed SS's son, and is holding SS captive?

The easiest, end of story conclusion is, that SS drowned. I won't believe unless her body is found.

I'm not really thinking kidnapped, but maybe harmed by a third party, the result being drowning.

And you are correct about drowning being the easiest conclusion, most often the easiest conclusion is the correct one, Occam's razor and all.

Sadly if you are waiting for her body, you may never believe. Her body may never be found as it could stay hung up on something underwater, wash up on a remote beach never to be discovered or go all the way into the ocean,.

I wonder why there is/was a memorial service for SS? :waitasec: It's not a fact she is deceased. This is a very sad situation.

I wonder why there is/was a memorial service for SS? :waitasec: It's not a fact she is deceased. This is a very sad situation.

I wasn't aware that this has/had been done for SS? If this is so really makes me think that LE has shared some pretty valid and conclusive evidence to the family that we, the public are not privvy to. I just dont think a family would be so easy and swift to do so unless they were given something very concrete to have them that sure enough to hold a memorial for SS?

RS stated on FB: (I didn't quote him..I reworded his statement)
A memorial service for Shantina is planned and will be held at Brinnon Community Church, on April 17th, at 1pm.

Yes, I also agree that the easiest explanation is that she parked to avoid a DUI, and she and her son slept, were surprised by the fierce high tide, and swept away. He washed ashore, she has not so far. Yet I also believe that until it is 100% proven, by finding her body in the water, there is still a chance that she met with foul play ( and her child may have been left in the van, and was swept away by high tide). I do not think she planned this, and I do not believe she is alive. But I DO believe there MAY be more to this story than meets the eye.

I wasn't aware that this has/had been done for SS? If this is so really makes me think that LE has shared some pretty valid and conclusive evidence to the family that we, the public are not privvy to. I just dont think a family would be so easy and swift to do so unless they were given something very concrete to have them that sure enough to hold a memorial for SS?
This is a point. But it still does not mean that there is no possibility she met with foul play. Yes, it made me sad to read they were holding a service for her, and I did find it a bit odd as she had not been found.:waitasec:

Yes, I also agree that the easiest explanation is that she parked to avoid a DUI, and she and her son slept, were surprised by the fierce high tide, and swept away. He washed ashore, she has not so far. Yet I also believe that until it is 100% proven, by finding her body in the water, there is still a chance that she met with foul play ( and her child may have been left in the van, and was swept away by high tide). I do not think she planned this, and I do not believe she is alive. But I DO believe there MAY be more to this story than meets the eye.

In the most recent article that had the update from LE, didn't they say they thought SS and Azriel abandoned the van? Doesn't mean they didn't sleep and then abandoned the van, but IIRC what the article said, in combination with no scent on the beach, I'd been thinking they got out of the van, at higher tide, and were pretty quickly swept away.

Also, unrelated to that, I've somehow developed some affection for SS. She seems like a lovely woman who loved her little boy. I'm having a hard time reconciling that with a woman so irresponsible and uncaring that she'd drink and put her little boy in danger. So, I'm not going to assume that she was badly intoxicated and that's the sole reason for what happened.

I think we have reasonable indications that she may have had a brain event of some sort, and IMO we have no reasonable indications that she consumed more than a half jug of wine. And whereas I'm no expert on it, I don't think a half jug of wine would cause all the symptoms she had.

I believe she either drank more that we don't know about or took pills we don't know about or both, -or- she drank the wine *and* had a brain event of some sort.

Some time today I'm going to go back and collect my brain event symptoms and bring them forward.

Sorry to keep bringing it up, but I do think it's a logical, reasonable, simple explanation of what happened, with reasonable supporting evidence/indications.

In the most recent article that had the update from LE, didn't they say they thought SS and Azriel abandoned the van? Doesn't mean they didn't sleep and then abandoned the van, but IIRC what the article said, in combination with no scent on the beach, I'd been thinking they got out of the van, at higher tide, and were pretty quickly swept away.

Also, unrelated to that, I've somehow developed some affection for SS. She seems like a lovely woman who loved her little boy. I'm having a hard time reconciling that with a woman so irresponsible and uncaring that she'd drink and put her little boy in danger. So, I'm not going to assume that she was badly intoxicated and that's the sole reason for what happened.

I think we have reasonable indications that she may have had a brain event of some sort, and IMO we have no reasonable indications that she consumed more than a half jug of wine. And whereas I'm no expert on it, I don't think a half jug of wine would cause all the symptoms she had.

I believe she either drank more that we don't know about or took pills we don't know about or both, -or- she drank the wine *and* had a brain event of some sort.

Some time today I'm going to go back and collect my brain event symptoms and bring them forward.

Sorry to keep bringing it up, but I do think it's a logical, reasonable, simple explanation of what happened, with reasonable supporting evidence/indications.
Yes, I would like to see your brain symptoms list. I, too, have developed affection for SS, and think she met an unfair fate. I suppose my thinking of a third party and foul play was my attempt to "clear" her, somehow.

Also: Her "brain event" may have been the result of anti-anxiety meds, and then worsened with wine on top of that.

I looked up Carlo Rossi wine.

It's available in 1.5L, 3.0L and 4.0L bottles.

We need to pin down the 'average' effects of drinking that amount.

I think different types of wine (red, white) might have different effects. The wine she bought appeared to be white. The whites that Carlo Rossi sells are: Chablis, Chardonnay, and Rhine.

http://www.carlorossi.com/the-wines/TheWines.html

Once we get the expected effects we can compare them against the symptoms she displayed, and against symptoms of concussion, stroke, etc.

ETA: I believe it's actually the 1.5L she bought. So she would have consumed half that, or .75L.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth