"This is the tipping point"/Catholic Church scandal widens

Missizzy

Reaction score
I thought about putting this on the Irish priest thread or Rev. Murphy's thread (the priest who molested 200 deaf boys) but I think that this deserves its own thread. If anyone disagrees, feel free to merge this. To me, this sounds like a Big Deal.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100328...Ec2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yeQRzbGsDbGF3eWVyd2hvZm91

Lawyer who found documents has long pursued church

"Jeff Anderson has filed thousands of lawsuits alleging sex abuse by priests and won tens of millions of dollars for his clients, but he has had a bigger goal in mind for nearly two decades. He wants to bring his career-long legal crusade against misconduct in the Roman Catholic Church right to the top. He would love to question Pope Benedict XVI himself under oath. Though that is extremely unlikely given that the pope is a head of state, documents Anderson has unearthed have the potential to take a scandal that has plagued dozens of dioceses around the world and place it at the doorstep of Vatican leadership...."

and

"This is a tipping point," Anderson said. He found the documents in handling one of the dozens of lawsuits he has pending against various church officials, and hopes to use them to bolster a separate federal lawsuit against the Vatican itself...."

and

"It's not about the money," Anderson told The Associated Press.

The self-described "former atheist" who rediscovered faith in God through his recovery from alcoholism professes a deep empathy with abuse victims — he calls them "survivors."

More than a decade after his legal battles with church officials began, Anderson's adult daughter revealed that as an 8-year-old she was molested by a therapist she was seeing as Anderson and his first wife were going through a divorce. The therapist, Anderson said, was a former Catholic priest...."

more at link

I think the Pope is going down. Now he is attacking the media for looking into his role at enabling the predators. "I will not be intimidated " he says. So he's feeling intimidated by the victims? Yes, they're such a scary bunch...

I simply cannot get past this statement and the thinly veiled but actually blatant "blame the victim" stance:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100325...jA3luX21vc3RfcG9wdWxhcgRzbGsDd2lzcHJpZXN0YWNj

"Budzinski, now 61, was one of about 200 deaf boys at the St. John's School for the Deaf just outside Milwaukee who say they were molested by the priest decades ago in a case now creating a scandal for the Vatican and threatening to ensnare Pope Benedict XVI."

Let's look at that statment. Mr. Budzinski and 199 of his peers were molested years ago by the very person who was charged with protecting and guiding their young bodies and spirits. Because Mr. Budzinski and 199 others spoke up, they created a case which has caused a scandal and which threatens to ensnare the Pope.

I get it. If those little deaf boys would have kept their pants zipped and not allowed Rev. Murphy to touch them, none of this would have happened. In fact, if they weren't such enticing and winsome little boys none of this would have happened.

Remember, the Mormon Apostle Richard G. Scott reminded us:

http://www.i4m.com/think/sexuality/mormon_sex_purity.htm

"The victim must do all in his or her power to stop the abuse. Most often, the victim is innocent because of being disabled by fear or the power or authority of the offender. At some point in time, however, the Lord may prompt a victim to recognize a degree of responsibility for abuse."

Let's rework the statement and look at it through another lens. Middle School Principal Johnson drove drunk ten years ago. He was responsible for transporting five young boys to a soccer match. Four of those boys were left with tragic and permanent physical, neurological, and emotional damage from that accident. Because of their recent lawsuit against their school district, they created a case which has caused a scandal and which threatens to ensnare the very Superintendent of their school district. Those careless children and their wanton actions. They should have known better than to get in the van of a drunk driver when they were ten years old.....on their way to a soccer match where their parents were waiting.

So, is everyone clear now? Every single one of the victims of the Catholic sex abuse scandal needs to be on their knees prayerfully accepting their part of the blame in this debacle. Just make sure no pedophile priests are nearby.

No matter what any man says, the victims have no responsibility in this crime. and what makes this crime especially heinous is the fact that Catholic priests claim authority from God on earth. The Catholic Church should go down and all members should be given to understand what they actually accept and believe. I'm not saying good people don't go to the Catholic Church, I'm saying there has been deception. I feel I can speak of this as my family is CAtholic and I have been given extensive information on the Church, which I rejected. jmo

Thank you Missizzy as I feel it deserves it's own thread. I have for the years now that these horrible stories have been coming out of the slimy darkness been repulsed and in awe at how this seems to be acceptable to "sweep it under the rug" and what God do they worship ? And how is it that they are "above" the laws ....

I guess they think by offering a large lump sum of money, moving the perp to another country oh and lets not forget to Repent that it makes it all ok.

!!! IT IS NOT OK TO MOLEST OUR CHILDREN !!!

I have to wait and come back to comment any further because it pizzes me of to no avail

Easy as 1 2 3

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100331...DeW5fbW9zdF9wb3B1bGFyBHNsawN2YXRpY2Fub2ZmZXI-

Vatican offers 3 reasons it's not liable for abuse

"VATICAN CITY – Dragged deeper than ever into the clerical sex abuse scandal, the Vatican is launching a legal defense that it hopes will shield the pope from a lawsuit in Kentucky seeking to have him answer attorneys' questions under oath.

Court documents obtained Tuesday by The Associated Press show that Vatican lawyers plan to argue that the pope has immunity as head of state, that American bishops who oversaw abusive priests weren't employees of the Vatican, and that a 1962 document is not the "smoking gun" that provides proof of a cover-up.

The Holy See is trying to fend off the first U.S. case to reach the stage of determining whether victims actually have a claim against the Vatican itself for negligence for allegedly failing to alert police or the public about Roman Catholic priests who molested children...."

more at link

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_churc...jA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yaWVzBHNsawNwb3Blc2Vlc3NleHM-

Pope sees sex scandal as test; bishops urge reform

"Pope Benedict XVI sees the priestly sex scandal as a "test for him and the church," his spokesman said Wednesday, as bishops around Europe used Holy Week's solemn call for penitence to announce new pledges of transparency in dealing with the abuse of children.

Swiss bishops urged victims to consider filing criminal complaints. German bishops opened a hot line for victims. Danish bishops launched an inquiry into decades-old claims. And Austria's senior cleric, Cardinal Christophe Schoenborn, admitted church guilt as he presided over a service for victims billed as a sign of repentance.

"Thank you for breaking your silence," Schoenborn told the victims. "A lot has been broken open. There is less looking away. But there is still a lot to do...."

more at link

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100401...jA3luX21vc3RfcG9wdWxhcgRzbGsDMTk2M2xldHRlcmlu

1963 letter indicates former pope knew of abuse

"The head of a Roman Catholic order that specialized in the treatment of pedophile priests visited with then-Pope Paul VI nearly 50 years ago and followed up with a letter recommending the removal of pedophile priests from ministry, according to a copy of the letter obtained by The Associated Press on Wednesday.

In the Aug. 27, 1963, letter, the head of the New Mexico-based Servants of the Holy Paraclete tells the pope he recommends removing pedophile priests from active ministry and strongly urges defrocking repeat offenders.

The letter shows that the Vatican knew, or should have known, about clergy abuse in the U.S. decades ago, said Anthony DeMarco, a plaintiff attorney in Los Angeles who provided the letter...."

more at link

Hi Everyone -

I have been lurking for some time now and finally joined today, so this is my first post. I have been so deeply horrified at the goings-on in the Catholic church that I sent an email to the pope today. I have posted the email below. I hope no one will be offended. It certainly is not my intention. Email as follows:

I am writing today because I simply cannot remain silent any longer.

My husband and his siblings were raised Catholic and attended Catholic schools. We were married in a Methodist church as the Catholic church couldn't be bothered to marry us. When our daughter was born, she was baptized Catholic. At that point, I went to the trouble of converting to Catholicism as I thought it would be better for our daughter and because I thought the Catholic church was such a wonderful thing. Our daughter also went to Catholic school.

My family has not stepped foot in a church since 2000. What a shock it was to learn that the Catholic church is rotten to its very core. To learn that the Vatican was intimately involved in the protection of pedophile priests was not a shock at all. By the way, I hear Bernard Law is doing quite well with you after his so-called resignation. How does that work? He resigned and then was promoted. What awful consequences he has suffered for his part in this (sarcasm). Just as expected, when the light is shined on the Vatican's involvement, you have all scattered like cockroaches.

Your number one goal is to protect yourselves and your income. Your complete lack of concern for the thousands of children that have been horrifically abused by the church and its minions is also expected, but disgusting nonetheless. Your inadequate lip service about your concern for the victims only made things worse. It is your actions that truly show where your concern lies and it's not with the victims. When is the church going to start caring about the kids that have struggled their whole lives because of the abuse they suffered at the hands of the church? When is the church going to truly take responsibility for what all of you did? The answer, I assume, is never.

Between what your church has done and what I have learned about the Baptists and their wonderful little schools, I will never set foot in another church. You are all a cancer on our society. To continue to claim moral superiority is nothing less than hysterically funny.

If there truly is a God, he would have struck all of you down 50 years ago. If there truly is a God, he cares no more about the children than you do. If there truly is a God, you will all surely burn in Hell for an eternity. I sure hope so.

Sincerely,

I fully understand that there will be those who disagree with my statement and I respect that. This statement only speaks to my personal feelings about the situation.

Cardinal Law has been on my mind through all this too. To me, he is the "poster boy," if you will, for coverup of sexual abuse of children by priests in the USA. It seems he suffered no consequences for his large part in all of this. Instead, he was "kicked upstairs" to a job in Rome. Wonder if he is actually working at a job or just hiding out there. As a lifelong Catholic, this just makes me sick.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100402...lYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcnkEc2xrA3BvcGVzcHJlYWNoZQ--

Pope's preacher: Accusations akin to anti-Semitism

"At a solemn Good Friday service, Pope Benedict XVI's personal preacher likened the tide of allegations that the pontiff has covered up sex abuse cases to the "more shameful aspects of anti-Semitism." But within hours, facing a storm of criticism at the comparison, the Vatican felt it necessary to distance the pope from the preacher's remarks.

Both Jewish and victims' groups responded that it was inappropriate to compare the discomfort being experienced by the church leadership in the sex abuse scandal to the violence that culminated in the Holocaust...."

more at link

Welcome, Belinda!! And thank you for sharing your email with us. Kudos to you for writing it. I am always so pleased when people speak their mind to those who are charged with listening. Now, as I'm sure we probably all agree, it is doubtful that this Pope will respond. Shame on him. How I wish that each and every child who suffered sexual abuse, physical abuse, and/or humiliation at the hand of a church leader would sit down and put their thoughts to paper, or in an email. My guess is the Vatican computer system would crash.

Wouldn't be a great idea, though? A bit like a Flash Mob of Dissent.

BTW, I was raised Baptist but I've developed my own private relationship with Jesus. We meet "privately outside of church". I've been horribly embarrassed of the Baptists lately. And let's not forget the RLDS, Mormons, and Community of Christ church. It hasn't been a very good decade for the clergy or the flock.

Welcome, I'm very glad to have you here.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome Missizzy. The situation just seems to go from bad to worse. Then, while all of this was going on I started finding out about the Baptist "homes" or "schools" that mete out absolutely horrendous abuse. When they are caught, they simply close up shop and reopen in another state. This has been going on for as long as the Cathlic stuff. There was New Bethany Boys & Girls Homes, Reclamation Ranch and a number of others. It is a whole nother horrifying situation going on, just a different religion. I find religion scary anymore.

There is some thought, Belinda, that Laura Silsby and her group of Baptist child-savers were bent on starting something like New Bethany--first in Idaho and then in Haiti. I'm well aware of the websites for survivors of New Bethany. Isn't it tragic that one must "survive" a Christian children's home?

Anyway, news on the Catholic Debacle:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_churc...zZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3J5BHNsawNkZXBvc2l0aW9ubGU-

Deposition: Levada defends decision on Oregon priest

In a newly released court deposition, a top Vatican official who is a former Portland archbishop defends not telling Oregon parishioners about the sex abuse allegations against a priest he restored to duty.

The deposition also shows that the official, Cardinal William Levada, insisted he had given complete information to the pastor of the parish about the history of Father Joseph Baccellieri. Documents provided by the archdiocese show his position was parochial vicar, an administrative, not pastoral post.

The archdiocese says there were limits on his ministry that no other abuse allegations against him arose. However, there was nothing in records e-mailed by the archdiocese to The Associated Press on Friday showing there was any explicit prohibition on contact between Baccellieri and parishioners. The documents also show that over the years Baccellieri had also been named pastor and co-pastor, before retiring in 2002.
Levada was archbishop of the Portland Archdiocese from 1986-95. He now is head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in Rome and has become a central figure in defending the Vatican in its handling of abusive priests.

and

In a transcript of his testimony released Friday by one of attorneys in those cases, Levada said Baccellieri had gone through therapy and the recommendation was that "he was not at risk for reabusing and that it would be prudent to reassign him......."

more at link

The Church HAS many things HIDDEN in the closet; sex is not the only thing. this article includes antisemitesem.

Pope’s priest: Abuse flak like anti-Semitism
Personal preacher says accusations similar to ‘collective violence’ on Jews

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36149297/ns/world_news-europe/

This is the videos on the sexual abuse of children.

NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams:

NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams: News and videos from the evening broadcast
NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams: News and videos from the evening broadcast

Well after reading about how the pope is being compared to Jesus and the Holocaust victims, I was compelled to send yet another email. I cannot just sit and keep silent any more. Their behavior just gets more and more outrageous and I won't suffer it silently any longer. Here's the new one:

Dear pope -

After recently hearing that you are being persecuted like Jesus and the Holocaust victims, I now realize there are no depths you will not sink to, in your efforts to protect yourself and your precious church. How dare you even hint that you are being persecuted! You have to be an innocent victim to be able to claim that title. You are not innocent by any means. You have created your own troubles. Stop acting like a victim. Be a man and face your responsibilities and your complicity in priest abuse. You people have no shame. I hear you are angry. You should be, but turn it inward where it belongs. YOU ARE NOT A VICTIM.

Sincerely,

The Brits are not happy!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100404...DeW5fbW9zdF9wb3B1bGFyBHNsawNwb3Blc2ltbXVuaXQ-

Pope's immunity could be challenged in Britain

"Protests are growing against Pope Benedict XVI's planned trip to Britain, where some lawyers question whether the Vatican's implicit statehood status should shield the pope from prosecution over sex crimes by pedophile priests.

More than 10,000 people have signed a petition on Downing Street's web site against the pope's 4-day visit to England and Scotland in September, which will cost U.K. taxpayers an estimated 15 million pounds ($22.5 million). The campaign has gained momentum as more Catholic sex abuse scandals have swept across Europe.

Although Benedict has not been accused of any crime, senior British lawyers are now examining whether the pope should have immunity as a head of state and whether he could be prosecuted under the principle of universal jurisdiction for an alleged systematic cover-up of sexual abuses by priests...."

and

"Prosecution in the deepening cleric sex abuse scandal, however, ultimately rests on the question of immunity. If British judges do challenge the pope's immunity, there are a handful of possible legal scenarios — all of them speculative.

The pope could be served for a writ for civil damages, a complaint could be lodged with the International Criminal Court, or abuse victims could try to have Benedict arrested for crimes against humanity — perhaps the least likely scenario.

Lawyers question whether an alleged systematic cover-up could be considered a crime against humanity — a charge usually reserved for the International Criminal Court — and whether it could be pursued under universal jurisdiction.

Attorney Jennifer Robinson in London, who has been researching the possibilities, says rape and sexual slavery can be considered crimes against humanity...."

more at link

Please excuse me for sounding so rabid on this. It has just been driving me crazy. For me to send 2 emails like that is pretty much unprecedented. I have got to stop being so emotional about this. I'm starting to sound like a nut. LOL

Thanks so much for the update, Missizzy. I have been glued to this story, but hadn't seen this one yet. I am truly hoping there will be some long-term ramifications for the Vatican. It has been proven conclusively that the Vatican has been intimately involved in the cover-up. I think it would be a good thing for the Pope's visit to be thwarted. He needs to truly begin to understand the anger that people are feeling. I really don't think he gets it yet.

Belinda--Don't ever apologize for sounding "rabid". It's a healthy response, IMO. I think you'll find, after you get to know different posters, that we each have something that drives us around the bend--an obsessive response to some criminal factor.

What else would make me, sit up in bed to drink my coffee, fire up the laptop and type in a search for "child *advertiser censored* arrests", "pedophile arrest", and "child sex ring"? Once we've been touched by evil and had our lives turned upside down, it's hard to turn away from that which harmed us.

As long as you stay civil with us (which you are BTW), you go girl. On that note:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100404...Ec2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yeQRzbGsDZWFzdGVybWFzc2Jl

Easter Mass becomes papal pep rally in Rome

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back