UNSOLVED NM - Bernalillo Co., Infant, 0-2 months, in diaper box off Hwy 14, Mar'10

momtective

Lifetime WS Non-Mod
Reaction score
Bernalillo County Sheriff's Deputy Lawrence Koren says a man who recently bought the unfenced lot was clearing debris Sunday when he discovered the box, about 30 yards west of New Mexico highway 14. He says the box appeared to have been there for some time.

Koren says the remains were sent to the Office of the Medical Investigator, where workers will try to determine the infant's age and gender.

He says investigators spent part of Sunday combing the lot for more evidence and interviewing people who live in the area.

http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world...nd-413084.html

With New Mexico being so close to Texas I thought I'd post this here so we can keep an eye on any possible developments and pray that there are none associated with Gabriel.

The first article I read said the infant looks to be less than two months old. While I was instantly relieved that it does not seem to be our Gabriel, I was simultaneously mourning the loss of such a new and innocent little baby. I'll simply never understand how someone could hurt or kill a child, or leave them somewhere as though they are trash.

That poor man who found the baby must be kicking himself for not checking it out sooner, and wondering if he could have saved the baby if he'd checked right away.

The person they interviewed said it well too, that there are so many people out there wanting a baby, that there is no reason at all to throw them away. Tragic for whoever this baby and it's family are.

Is it for a sure a murder and not possibly a baby that die accidentally?

Is it for a sure a murder and not possibly a baby that die accidentally?

I so hope that you are right. Don't get me wrong either way the end result was the same, but I hate to think of a poor baby just laying in a field crying. You would think you would hear that. On a second note, with todays economy as bad as it is, and funerals being so expensive, maybe this was a child who had died previously and they just couldn't afford proper burial.

Was it skeletal remains?They said the box could have been there since Jan but I wonder if they have a estimated time of death on the baby. If the baby could have been in the box much longer. This sounds like what Dianne Odell did with her babies after she killed them alouth she was from Arizona has been in prison in 2003. her case was was docomented in the book Sleep in heavenly peace. Here is a link to an article about her
http://www.sc-democrat.com/archives/2003/news/12December/19/odell.html
Sadly this happens far to often . I wish there wa more info on this baby.

Still cannot find out if it is a boy or girl.

diaper-boxes_20100407155915_640_480.JPG

"
We believe that the child was very carefully placed," said Captain Gregg Marcantel with the Bernalillo County Sheriff's Office. "We look at the crime scene and the condition of the crime scene and we see what we believe to be a pretty emotional attachment and bond between whoever placed the child there, and the child itself."

They believe the mother or relative that dumped the body did not intend to mistreat the dead child.

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/Cops-trying-to-ID-abandoned-babys-body

People know right from wrong. I am sick and tired of excuses for these people. If you throw your baby in a diaper box in a field, you are mistreating them.

Again... I have worked in the funeral industry...

I have always thought that it was pretty common knowledge that if an infant passes away there are several charities that will offset, or pay the entire cost, of the burial... Any funeral home would have been able to help them find a charity and do the paperwork...

Besides, even if I was well-meaning, but poor, and thought I had no options to pay for a burial... I would have done something a bit better than leaving my child in a nappy box in a random field... Even if that burrying the little angel in my yard. At least then I would know that animals, or the like, were not feeding on my baby...

Sorry to sound so crude, but I just don't get people tossing babies around like so much garbage, regaurdless of how they passed away...

I wasn't able to locate any update at all for this case, not even whether the baby was a boy or girl. There's no entry in Namus for an infant on this date, and no news articles beyond the ones pointed to here (some of which have moved into media archives).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back