Davidson ancestry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julessleuther

Reaction score
I hope this was okay to start a new thread, but I have an ancestry account and wanted to post findings for the Davidson geneology. If this is not the right place for this, please move. Thank you!

I found the SSDI for Robert H Davidson. The H is for Holden, which was his mothers maiden name. Birthdate is August 3, 1885- death June 28, 1946. He was buried in Rexburg, Madison, ID

In 1900 he lived with his family in Idaho. It shows that his father, John M Davidson was born in Scotland, his mother, Harriet, was born in Utah. There is also a John H Davidson aged 24, William T Davidson aged 22, Robert, and May Davidson aged 11.

In 1910 he was married to a Nettie T and living in Wyoming.

Robert H Davidson - 24
Nettie T Davidson - 21
Robert L Davidson - 3
Floyd E Davidson - 2
Harriet Davidson - 7/12 Less than a year old?

By 1920 they were back in Idaho, as they are in 1930.

There are several people living in the house in 1920.
Robert H Davidson - 33
Nettie T Davidson- 31
Robert Leon Davidson - 13
Floyd Ellis Davidson - 12
Harriet H Davidson - 10
Elwood S Davidson - 8
Verne S Davidson - 6

By 1930 there is a Roy Davidson aged 7, and a Neva aged 3 in the house. None of the other children are listed in the household. Nettie died in 1931.

Robert Holden remarried to a Susannah Pauline Tanner(Susannah was born about 1910) on July 27, 1934 and had two children. I am uncertain, but think that her/their children were:
Dell Reed Davidson born Dec 7, 1935 in Idaho, died Dec 16, 1997 Sacramento, CA (Incidently, Dell Reed's social security middle numbers have a 44 in them)

Clyde Lee Davidson born Feb 11, 1937 in Idaho and died Jan 23, 1993 in Sacramento

I have not found much on Dell, but Clyde was married to a Diane in 1971 in Sacramento.

She remarried someone else in 1976 in Butte, CA

Elwood was born 1911-died 1856
Robert Leon was born 1906-died 1952

So...the grandson (from the DNA sample) has to be the son of one of these children listed above.

There is a WW II draft registration for Robert Holden Davidson.

I found a family tree on ancestry, but interestingly enough there is only one child listed- Verne Stevens Davidson, who was born in 1913 and died in 1982. Verne was born in Oregon and died in Idaho. Verne was married to a Camilla June Smith, but there are no children listed. I have been able to find a birth or SSDI for Verne. Camilla was born June 25, 1914. She died in 1997.

IF BK is related to this family, I would think either Verne or Roy would be his father, based on age, but who knows. We are only looking at the male relatives, right?

I am still searching for info on Roy. He was born about 1923.

the 7/12 you see means 7 of 12 months, or 7 months of age at the time the census was taken.

hth

Thanks for the post Jules!

I found the link for this line of the Davidson family on Rootsweb, the later day saint site.

Here it is:
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=ldshistorical&id=I88372

One can dig around in here and find Robert H's parents, grandparents, uncles etc. I think this might help to cross reference Ancestry.com info for those of you with ancestry memberships.

What is throwing me with this line, is I have yet to find any evidence anyone from this line of the family ever emigrated (sp?) to Indiana.

The other thing... and this is just a vent... Why does BK have to be linked to these common common surnames? A Smith, a Jones, why the heck can't he be a Grabowski? simpler to research.... ay yi yi... thanks for listening to me vent. ;)

Cubby (and Carol)

Thanks for the help with the 7/12 item above--I thought that is what it meant, but was not 100% certain. I hear you about the common name thing, it would be SO much easier if it were some odd obscure name. I have not had a chance to check out this link, but in reference to your comment about Indiana, I did find a few Davidson names linking back to Indiana, but have been unable so far to link them to the Robert H Davidson name.

I will have more time tonight to work on this, this is a interesting new angle to the BK dna stuff.

Another thing to consider is that perhaps he was only in Indiana once, on a family camping trip or something, but it is something he vividly remembers. I throw that out, because when I was about 7 my family went from PA to IL on a camping trip, with the end goal of visiting friends of my parents in IL. We went through OH and even camped at a lake someplace there. It was a really good memory for me, so is something I remember vividly. Perhaps that is the case for BK too. We know from Juan Doe that memories can be disjointed, and perhaps that is the case with the Indiana memories. Or...maybe he lived in Indiana as a young adult, and is older than we think.... Perhaps he went to Notre Dame? He does think he is Catholic afterall. Maybe went to college in Indiana and U of Boulder as graduate school? Right now we have no solid proof that he lived in Indiana at all, much less as a child, so perhaps those memories of his are not exactly correct.

(I still think it is interesting that he knows the name of that special milk drink from Rhode Island--that is a huge red flag for me, but it appears that all the Davidsons I have found so far are western states. Perhaps he only knows the drink from being in the food industry??? )

This whole DNA thing throws me for a loop. I thought they were fairly certain his last name had to be Powell, but now there appears to be a more direct link to a Davidson? Whew....

I guess I feel for him because if I were in his shoes, I would be hard to trace DNA wise. I was adopted when I was 5, and my natural ancestry is a hodge podge. Two of my other possible DNA connections were also adopted (my two sisters) and the third, my brother, does not even have internet access. There is practically no way they would be able to trace me from my natural DNA connection to my adopted family that I grew up with (little contact, many of my natural relatives are dead etc.) For my son it would even be harder if he were in BK's shoes because of circumstances with my in-laws, plus my situation.

I found the link for this line of the Davidson family on Rootsweb, the later day saint site.

Here it is:
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=ldshistorical&id=I88372

One can dig around in here and find Robert H's parents, grandparents, uncles etc. I think this might help to cross reference Ancestry.com info for those of you with ancestry memberships.

What is throwing me with this line, is I have yet to find any evidence anyone from this line of the family ever emigrated (sp?) to Indiana.

The other thing... and this is just a vent... Why does BK have to be linked to these common common surnames? A Smith, a Jones, why the heck can't he be a Grabowski? simpler to research.... ay yi yi... thanks for listening to me vent. ;)

Cubby, I just wanted to tell you that you found the motherlode with that link. I was planning to work on this tonight, as I have blog stuff I have to do, but I could not resist clicking the link. There is alot of info here, which I will organize and post. Ex. I wondered if Roy was the first name, and according to this research, it is not, it is Jabus Roy. I will be able to find a lot more info with the help of this, thank you!!

Here it is:

YW Julessleuther. I always try and cross reference to that later day saint site because it is free and there is tons of info. Much more can be researched at ancestry, but that LDS site is good for a jump start and for comparison/cross referencing sources and data.

ETA: I don't have an ancestry membership, but hoping this helps those of you who do.

I have not been following the BK threads much lately, and I am at a total loss for how or when the subject of BK possibly being a Davidson came into being. Can someone enlighten me by pointing the way to the original post that introduced the name Davidson into this? I've looked, but I'm not finding it.

I have not been following the BK threads much lately, and I am at a total loss for how or when the subject of BK possibly being a Davidson came into being. Can someone enlighten me by pointing the way to the original post that introduced the name Davidson into this? I've looked, but I'm not finding it.

A recent DNA match from the y-dna testing. Posted on page 8 of the dna results are in thread.

here is a direct link to one of the posts with the davidson match.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4975083&postcount=188"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Results from Genealogy DNA testing are in![/ame]

Something interesting that I noticed about one of Robert H Davidson's sons, Clyde. On his SSDI info, it states that his mothers maiden name was Tanner (true) and his fathers surname was Holden. The H in Roberts middle name is Holden, but that is not what I would traditionally call his "surname." Any thoughts on this?

Clyde L Davidson was married to a Diana Gifford, who was born in San Diego in 1947. They married in 1971. He may have also been married to a Jean Power in 1975. He also married at Susan Pugliese in 1979. Both wives were from CA.

From Robert H Davidson's first marriage:

Jabus Roy Davidson- Born April 6, 1922 He died Nov 1985 in Blythe, CA

Here is something interesting:
in the 1920 census of Robert Holden:
Floyd E., bn. Wyoming, age 2

(usa people search, Floyd E. Davidson, 102, Burlington, Kirkland, and Seattle, WA, related to Douglas D., Barbara N. and Mildred E. Davidson; Intesting enough Douglas D., age 59, is related to a Benjamin D. Davidson, age 30; Mildred was the wife of Floyd, and Barbara is either sister or wife of Douglas D., as she also has Benjamin D. on her name relations.)

I think this is the same family.

Interesting!
Here is something interesting:
in the 1920 census of Robert Holden:
Floyd E., bn. Wyoming, age 2

(usa people search, Floyd E. Davidson, 102, Burlington, Kirkland, and Seattle, WA, related to Douglas D., Barbara N. and Mildred E. Davidson; Intesting enough Douglas D., age 59, is related to a Benjamin D. Davidson, age 30; Mildred was the wife of Floyd, and Barbara is either sister or wife of Douglas D., as she also has Benjamin D. on her name relations.)

I think this is the same family.

YW Julessleuther. I always try and cross reference to that later day saint site because it is free and there is tons of info. Much more can be researched at ancestry, but that LDS site is good for a jump start and for comparison/cross referencing sources and data.

ETA: I don't have an ancestry membership, but hoping this helps those of you who do.

just an fyi, familysearch.org is the LDS WEBSITE.
rootsweb is a voluntary genealogy page.
The particular database you have is someone who writes lds entries I think.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjaman_Kyle[/ame]
updated 3/30/2010
new info:
In March 2010, a second DNA match for Kyle was discovered in the online database of the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorenson_Molecular_Genealogy_Foundation"]Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation[/ame] website [10] with a Davidson. Because the Sorenson organization does not release information on living people, it was not possible to identify the sample donor. The pedigree attached to the DNA results only revealed that the donor had been the grandson of Robert Holden Davidson b 1885 Logan Utah, d. 1946 Chico, CA. This Davidson had a very different haplotype from the members of the Davidson DNA surname study[17]. The fact that Kyle has several lukewarm matches to Powells, with a single strong match to a Davison, seems to indicate the presence of a nonpaternity event in the male line of his family, that is, an adoption, a name change, or an illegitimacy. It is surmised that his legal name might be Davidson, but that genetically he is a Powell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth