VA VA - Lisa Triggs, 15, Woodbridge, 21 May 1986

I am unable to find anything on a Lisa Marie Triggs...but have found some info on a Lisa Rene Triggs.

I found a clip from an article from the Washington Post, July 6, 1987. Unfortunately, I am not able to find it on the actual website for the post. It seems like the had a suspect, but didn't have enough evidence to make an arrest.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1P2-1331366.html
After conducting 2,000 interviews and devoting hundreds of hours to their investigation, Prince William County police say they have a chief suspect in the slaying of 15-year-old Lisa Renee Triggs last year but lack the evidence to justify bringing charges.

Triggs, a sophomore at Osbourn Park High School near Manassas, had been shopping at Center Plaza and persuaded her mother to allow her to walk home alone to meet friends there. She was last seen about 7:30 p.m. on May 21, 1986.

She was found three days later face down in a creek behind the shopping center, dead of blows to …

This is all that I was able to read on the site. I wonder how it went cold even though they had a POI. You'd think maybe if they went back and re-examined all the old evidence, that with today's new technology, they might be able to finally have enough evidence to make an arrest.

OT: I lived in Woodbridge for several years in the Mid 2000's and grew up in Alexandria and I am constantly amazed at all the murders that never got a lot of local media attention. I never heard about Lisa. I remember hearing about the Spotsy murders and that was even farther out. Hmm.

I went back to the Post and searched their archives and without paying, was only allowed a slight preview.

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/washingtonpost/access/73832229.html?FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&date=Jul+6%2C+1987&author=Pierre+Thomas&pub=The+Washington+Post+(pre-1997+Fulltext)&edition=&startpage=b.03&desc=Pr.+William+Police+Have+Suspect+in+Girl%27s+Killing

An FBI profile of the sort of person who might have committed the slaying suggests a possible history of sex offenses, [Kuehn] said. But he declined to say whether the girl was sexually assaulted.

Deborah Triggs, 38, [Lisa Renee Triggs]' mother, says she writes poetry as a means of coming to terms with the girl's death. One of the poems, printed in a local newspaper on the anniversary of her daughter's death, read in part: "You murdered her and you too must die. The all-seeing eye knows you live a lie."

still not very much info on this girl's murder...

Thank you so much-I am not sure how to change the thread title to get her name correct...
My family grew up near where she was killed, and as children we heard stories about Lisa's murder, myths/urban legends about the murderer that kept us out of those woods.
My brother and I were remembering the stories about this "boogey man," and I started to really think about Lisa and how maybe Websleuths would be a good place to start at getting more information.
Woodbridge has changed so much and a lot of time has gone by, I almost think the perpetrator might not even be around anymore. Still, as you wrote, with today's technology, maybe something else may be gleaned.
Thanks again for your help!

On the video, the detective says they did recover DNA evidence from the scene. Since they haven't now arrested anyone, I wonder if it didn't match the POI or if he has never given a DNA sample?

So they have a POI who is not in the system at least for DNA...so it is someone who has managed not to get caught or leave DNA in any additional crimes that have been committed, or the DNA for those cases has not been processed yet. They dont have a relative in the system because mTDNA is not hitting either. They have a John Doe perp.

I wonder if the POI is still alive? I am guessing yes, or they might have been more forthcoming. It is not that far from Quantico, right? I have been to Woodbridge and to that shopping center.

So they have a POI who is not in the system at least for DNA...so it is someone who has managed not to get caught or leave DNA in any additional crimes that have been committed, or the DNA for those cases has not been processed yet. They dont have a relative in the system because mTDNA is not hitting either. They have a John Doe perp.

I wonder if the POI is still alive? I am guessing yes, or they might have been more forthcoming. It is not that far from Quantico, right? I have been to Woodbridge and to that shopping center.

My first thought is that maybe her attacker is no longer alive, or maybe is in a Virginia prison somewhere, even the possibility he was put to death for other murders. I guess I'd like to think he is not out there, but if he is, it's worth a shot at some long overdue justice.
That part of Woodbridge (Dale City) is about 20 minutes northwest of MCBQ.

ETA...which gets me thinking-Virginia has a ton of military traffic-Maybe the perp was military and stationed elsewhere before he was caught? I am not casting dispersions about military guys, my husband happens to be one!

http://washingtonexaminer.com/cold-case-police-seek-killer-of-prince-william-teen/article/115304

Masterson said the department asks for any assistance or cooperation citizens can provide. Information about the case can be left anonymously by calling Crime Solvers toll-free 866-411-TIPS. Those providing Crime Solvers tips may receiver a reward of up to $1,000.

Nothing new about this case. The police do compare all perpetrators of sexual crimes to the DNA recovered. Bumping for Lisa.

The circumstances in this case indicate that it was a crime of randomness and chance rather than a crime committed by someone close to the victim. She was walking from a large shopping center to a specific destination, but at a random time and route.

The killer may have seen her at the shopping center and later dumped her body there, so that the actual location of his attack on her would not be found. He most likely had a vehicle which was used to abduct and transport her.

..any possible links between Welch and other MPs?
I have been wondering this as well. I grew up in Dale City and this case has been on my mind lately. I have thought for many years Welch is responsible for this. The only possible connection being that he was a traveling carnival worker and there was a carnival in that shopping center at the time. He did live in Woodbridge, VA in 1996 but his whereabouts before that are unknown.

2014115474e1174ba14.jpg

Lisa Renee Triggs, age 15, Murdered 21 May 1986

Larger memorial image loading...

LINKS:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members