Boy Attempts Suicide at Middle School

Thank God he was found before it was too late, poor kid. I hope and pray that he now gets some serious help!

Kudos to the school, which happened to have a defibrillator, and the school staff that reacted quickly. That poor boy....

yes, i was surprised that it was handled so well...(i live in ABQ-not exactly known for being on top of things as a rule) also surprised that schools even dare to do that kind of thing, what with so many lawsuits, etc...do they have parents sign forms? Just wonder as I do not have kids...
I hope everyone involved takes it as seriously as it is and tries to determine the source...I wonder if it is another case of bullying...or something at home, since he did it at school? how terrible to be a 13-yr old boy who no longer wants to live...I cannot even imagine, at that age, feeling so sad and hopeless. (those feelings are supposed to come much later, if at all :(...)
I hope he has or acquires some solid adult support system...whatever he has now isn't working for him...

Something is VERY fishy with this story. This child would NOT be home with his parents. He would be in a crisis center, hospital, psy ward, being observed and evaluated & recieving therapy. They just don't send suicidal children home with a pat on the head.

Something is VERY fishy with this story. This child would NOT be home with his parents. He would be in a crisis center, hospital, psy ward, being observed and evaluated & receiving therapy. They just don't send suicidal children home with a pat on the head.

wanted to add...Who hears a noise in the bathroom of a school and immediately calls campus security to check out the source of the noise? Ridiculous!

wanted to add...Who hears a noise in the bathroom of a school and immediately calls campus security to check out the source of the noise? Ridiculous!

I agree, that part doesn't make much sense.

Good grief, why oh why. I hope whatever drove this child to such drastic actions can be resolved.
Prayers for this young man that he may continue life and live it to the fullest.

I agree that he should be in some sort of treatment facility where he can be closely monitored, but the noise thing might make sense.....depending on what the noise was. For instance if it was screaming, contacting campus security to investigate would have been the prudent action.

Oh my goodness 13 years of age...just soo sad.

I do hope this young boy gets the phychological help he needs and they find out what was going through his mind and the reason he thought death would make it all go away.

http://www.koat.com/news/23018460/detail.html

This says it is still being investigated.

Thank goodness. Someone is still looking into it.

snip~"It concerns me that a middle school child felt the need to do that, but not so much where it happened. That's not the important part, where it happened," the parent said.

APS officials said school officers and the Crimes Against Children unit is still investigating the incident.

Officials would not speak regarding the boy's condition, but did say that that he is now with his family. APS said they also notified parents.~ end

I agree that he should be in some sort of treatment facility where he can be closely monitored, but the noise thing might make sense.....depending on what the noise was. For instance if it was screaming, contacting campus security to investigate would have been the prudent action.

The story is that the student hung himself. So why would there be screaming?
You can't really scream if you hung yourself.

Maybe he was kicking the stall. Maybe he thought it would happen faster and freeked after the fact. Thats just awful to think about that pour boy.

The story is that the student hung himself. So why would there be screaming?
You can't really scream if you hung yourself.

I think he could have been screaming as the person who notified security passed by. Nothing in the article indicates that he was already hanging when the noise was heard. I don't mean screaming like the foolish women in horror movies. I mean more screaming out in anger and frustration, in emotional pain.

I think he could have been screaming as the person who notified security passed by. Nothing in the article indicates that he was already hanging when the noise was heard. I don't mean screaming like the foolish women in horror movies. I mean more screaming out in anger and frustration, in emotional pain.

I believe if there even was a noise, it was probably he feet thrashing around and banging into something.

Thank goodness. Someone is still looking into it.

snip~"It concerns me that a middle school child felt the need to do that, but not so much where it happened. That's not the important part, where it happened," the parent said.

APS officials said school officers and the Crimes Against Children unit is still investigating the incident.

Officials would not speak regarding the boy's condition, but did say that that he is now with his family. APS said they also notified parents.~ end

Exactly, if they are still investigating why is the child with his parents?

people that attempt suicide are hospitalized and evaluated usually for at least 72 hours.

Exactly, if they are still investigating why is the child with his parents?

people that attempt suicide are hospitalized and evaluated usually for at least 72 hours.

This is puzzling. I do know of one girl locally who overdosed on some of her dad's medications and then called my son to tell him what she'd done. Of course, he alerted her family and she was taken to the hospital and was successfully treated. She was sent home that night with her family. The hospital told her parents that because she'd called someone, it indicated that it was not a true suicide attempt, and that they should contact their family doctor if any followup care was needed. It is my belief that she was sent home because she had no insurance and there wasn't a bed available at any of the state run facilities.

Another child locally attempted suicide and was treated and released because the hospital could not get a psychiatrist to get out of bed to sign the 72 hour commitment order.

This was reported in the coment section, stating that the kid is in a coma.

"i was in the library when that happend a kid from my class who went to the bathroom came in crying and the librarian called the counselors and school police i talked to the counselor and she said the kid is in acoma and they caught him on video tape he was in the bathroom for 30 min he was in my class for a couple of weeks but i dont know what happend to him"

Then there is this comment, as the student being reported as brain dead.

"I work for aps and we were notified this morning that this student has been reported as brain dead. This is really sad news. We had a student attempt suicide by hanging himself with a shoe string in the bathroom earlier this week after school, luckily someone walked in and found him before it was too late, and he did not suffer any major physical or mental damage. It is tough times for our youth and even more the reason why parents and adults need to be heavily involved with the youth nowadays"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redeworker
Back