Friends & Family of Susan Cox Powell offer public an alternative to ground search

izehnder

Reaction score
Website
www.examiner.com
Examiner.com article:

Friends and family of Susan Cox Powell offer the public an alternative to ground searching (friends and family need response Wed., April 7)

April 3, 2010 - (Slideshow) Volunteers from the public who planned to join together April 10 to comb the West Desert for clues into Susan Cox Powell's disappearance were informed Friday by search organizers that the search was closed to the public. Susan's friends and family have come up with an alternative plan, should they get enough interest... click here for complete article.

Examiner.com article:

Friends and family of Susan Cox Powell offer the public an alternative to ground searching (friends and family need response Wed., April 7)

April 3, 2010 - (Slideshow) Volunteers from the public who planned to join together April 10 to comb the West Desert for clues into Susan Cox Powell's disappearance were informed Friday by search organizers that the search was closed to the public. Susan's friends and family have come up with an alternative plan, should they get enough interest...

Those flyers better include pictures of Josh of the van and its license plate number or this effort is a complete sham. They'd be better off placing flyers in convenience stores and gas stations around old mining towns in the mountains rather than WVC.

I'd start with the closest towns to SLC on these lists for a start...
http://www.chinfat.com/ghosttowns/index.html

Also look at towns near clusters of abandoned mines on the lists that have been posted on WS before.

I think some hiker or outdoorsman is going to stumble on the remains or evidence of mine entrance tampering before any organized search.

Those flyers better include pictures of Josh of the van and its license plate number or this effort is a complete sham. They'd be better off placing flyers in convenience stores and gas stations around old mining towns in the mountains rather than WVC.

I'd start with the closest towns to SLC on these lists for a start...
http://www.chinfat.com/ghosttowns/index.html

Also look at towns near clusters of abandoned mines on the lists that have been posted on WS before.

I think some hiker or outdoorsman is going to stumble on the remains or evidence of mine entrance tampering before any organized search.

RayO,

Good idea about the fliers which I'll share with those involved. Thanks for the link to the list of towns.

Do you, or does anyone else, remember where the information is about the abandoned mines on WS?

Thanks again!

Going door-to-door to pass out fliers in the West Valley City, a pot-luck luncheon, and a time to gather together...GIVE ME A BREAK! This is so crazy...

Here is the flier that needs passed out now.

josh-susan.jpg

RayO,

Good idea about the fliers which I'll share with those involved. Thanks for the link to the list of towns.

Do you, or does anyone else, remember where the information is about the abandoned mines on WS?

Thanks again!

Thanks for passing-along the word as much as you can.

Here are some useful URLs for old and abandoned mines, mining towns in Utah...

http://history.utah.gov/mining_heritage_alliance/miningmap.html

http://www.trainweb.org/utahrails/mining/utmines.html

http://www.mojaveunderground.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Just south of Tooele Co. is Juab Co., which seems to be especially rich in old mines, for example around the town of Eureka.

It does seem like the best thing everyone can do is to go to their favorite hiking or camping spot and check it out. Many long-time residents would know of mine entrances in their area.

If a huge number of people did that, they could at least eliminate a lot of spots quickly. In other words, the best search might be one not coordinated in one spot, but where everyone scatters to look at the spots they know.

IIRC, Morgan Harrington's body was found by property owners walking their own land.

It does seem like the best thing everyone can do is to go to their favorite hiking or camping spot and check it out. Many long-time residents would know of mine entrances in their area.

If a huge number of people did that, they could at least eliminate a lot of spots quickly. In other words, the best search might be one not coordinated in one spot, but where everyone scatters to look at the spots they know.

IIRC, Morgan Harrington's body was found by property owners walking their own land.
This more random approach makes a lot of sense to me. There is much less impact on the fragile soils.

I wonder if someone could host a website were thumbtacks could be added to a map for places that have been checked, so that people would be encouraged to look at the ones less visited so they could add a tack.

Someone should write a book about this case. How not to find a body.

Examiner.com article:

April 3, 2010 - (Slideshow) Volunteers from the public who planned to join together April 10 to comb the West Desert for clues into Susan Cox Powell's disappearance were informed Friday by search organizers that the search was closed to the public. Susan's friends and family have come up with an alternative plan, should they get enough interest... click here for complete article.

Is this for real??

This more random approach makes a lot of sense to me. There is much less impact on the fragile soils.

I wonder if someone could host a website were thumbtacks could be added to a map for places that have been checked, so that people would be encouraged to look at the ones less visited so they could add a tack.

Great idea grayjay, but what happens if Josh (or perp) would notify the people and tell them he had check X area/mine(s) so they tack it...and she was there? Just sayin...

What a big difference in LE. In Greely CO, LE is telling people what they can do to search.
The cases are not the same, however their approach is excellent.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/23051506/detail.html#

I read about her case in my Sunday paper today...how heartbreaking and disgusting...we have another child missing. What in the world are parents to do now days? Beside GPS under the kids skin or not letting them have any freedom at all....just tell them to run and scream like H?

This is an excellent article on how to handle a non-orgainized search. I'm bookmarking it. Kudos to Weld County Sheriff in Colorado.

Hope Isabelle can get this info to someone on Susan's case and get it out to the public! Isabelle----can you do this?

ETA: I'd much rather see the flyers with the basic info about Susan with the information listed HOW
people can help in the search by the methods listed by the Sheriff's Dept in Co. Give people a list and let them search in their city, town, county and highways/roads that week-end instead of a munchie get together. People need to be out looking for her--not sharing gardenig tips. I don't understand this thinking...sorry. People in WVC know about Susan missing. What good are these flyers going to do there...get more info to the public of what and how to search.

Great idea grayjay, but what happens if Josh (or perp) would notify the people and tell them he had check X area/mine(s) so they tack it...and she was there? Just sayin...
I thought about this a lot and it could happen. A lot of times, someone is found in a place they checked before. That doesn't mean the search is pointless. We still might be able to come up with something that could work.

I thought about this a lot and it could happen. A lot of times, someone is found in a place they checked before. That doesn't mean the search is pointless. We still might be able to come up with something that could work.

Get more people involved in searching.

OT: I'm trying to post to Steven Koecher's last thread #8 and it' gone!!!! Disappeared about 12:30 this morning and wont' let me access it...but it's gone.

I read about her case in my Sunday paper today...how heartbreaking and disgusting...we have another child missing. What in the world are parents to do now days? Beside GPS under the kids skin or not letting them have any freedom at all....just tell them to run and scream like H?

This is an excellent article on how to handle a non-orgainized search. I'm bookmarking it. Kudos to Weld County Sheriff in Colorado.

Hope Isabelle can get this info to someone on Susan's case and get it out to the public! Isabelle----can you do this?

ETA: I'd much rather see the flyers with the basic info about Susan with the information listed HOW
people can help in the search by the methods listed by the Sheriff's Dept in Co. Give people a list and let them search in their city, town, county and highways/roads that week-end instead of a munchie get together. People need to be out looking for her--not sharing gardenig tips. I don't understand this thinking...sorry. People in WVC know about Susan missing. What good are these flyers going to do there...get more info to the public of what and how to search.

These cases, while heartbreaking, are still extremely rare, and people should not over react.

Big businesses want us to watch our children 24/7, never let them out alone to play, and sterilize every inch of the home in case they encounter germs, because they can sell us products to do those things. Kids grow up better, stronger and more self-reliant if they have a little autonomy, and the opportunity to scrape a knee occasionally.

These cases, while heartbreaking, are still extremely rare, and people should not over react.
Big businesses want us to watch our children 24/7, never let them out alone to play, and sterilize every inch of the home in case they encounter germs, because they can sell us products to do those things. Kids grow up better, stronger and more self-reliant if they have a little autonomy, and the opportunity to scrape a knee occasionally.

If it's so dang rare, then why are there so many SO's. Have you checked your area lately? One is too many.

I too believe in the concept of letting kids build up resistance to the everyday germs and etc, but I want them to be able to do the normal things children should be able to do ---like ride a bike or walk to their friends house or school, letting them scrape that knee without fear. I'm a grown woman, but I'm mad as hades that I can't go for a walk or run w/o putting my radar up. That is not relaxing or a stress breaker. It's time to get TOUGH with these A holes who get tough with us and our vulnerable children.
They should be banished to an island with a pack of seeds and a club. Neanderthals----they have no right to be in a civilized environment.

bbm
Yes, that was an excellent article, and would be helpful in many cases.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/23051506/detail.html#

Thanks for passing-along the word as much as you can.

Here are some useful URLs for old and abandoned mines, mining towns in Utah...

http://history.utah.gov/mining_heritage_alliance/miningmap.html

http://www.trainweb.org/utahrails/mining/utmines.html

http://www.mojaveunderground.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Just south of Tooele Co. is Juab Co., which seems to be especially rich in old mines, for example around the town of Eureka......

Thanks for the link to some abandoned mines.

Does anyone know if the mines are sealed or open?
Would any on the mines/closures need a blow-torch or cutting torch to open them?

Are they locked with a chain and lock, steel doors, wooden doors, just how are the mines made safe from animals and tourists getting inside?
Does anyone have a guess why Josh would have needed to rent such an odd thing in the middle of winter??

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44
Back