Votes: 143 19.9%
  • No, they are not safe

Votes: 91 12.7%
  • No, I have a health issue that doesn't allow it

Votes: 21 2.9%
  • Other: please explain

Votes: 55 7.7%

• Total voters
I'm slightly amused that in Canada, although they are saying that everyone who can be, should be vaccinated...there isn't actually enough vaccine to vaccinate everyone. My province will run out before the end of the weekend, and a few other cities are already completely out.

Doesn't make a bit of sense to me to fear-monger the way the news is only to not be able to provide the vaccine to everyone who wants it.

Hi! I had mine in October. My Doctor insists on one for me. I have COPD, bronchial asthma. I've been getting one every year.:seeya:

I've never received a flu shot and never intend to. It's all about money. When Walgreens, CVS, and your local grocery store advertise year round for flu and shinlges shots you know it's more about money than effectiveness. Walgreen's alone adminstered nearly 6 million shots last year. Quite the cash cow.

I have a good friend who 15 yrs later is still suffering the almost deadly effects of GBS from a flu shot. I try to always weigh the risks/benefits. For the most part, it isn't deadly. H1N1 strain is a different story as are a few others. I also am a big believer in healthy eating (sometimes to an extreme others do not go to). I have 2 kids with 'issues' as we will call them for now and no, not autism. But I do worry about anything I put in them including vaccinations… and yes I did the major vaccinations but will not do others as they get older and have one that i could shoot myself for getting them.

To me, each year it is a new choice. This year i will call and see if there is anything available. Had a heck of a fall season and wish I did it earlier, but didn't so it is what it is.

(never been sick from a shot and never believe it is the shot, but in reality a few days if flu compared to two weeks is a small price to pay if you are truly getting the shot in order to avoid the real full-blown flu which is not a couple of days issue in anyway)
I stopped all vaccinations on my children as well after age 10. I'm so sick of all the western doctors pushing vaccines, I'm convinced its all about money. I wish I would have skipped all vaccines but didn't know any better at the time. The number of vaccines administered to a child before they are even 3 years old is quite frightening. The number would shock most people. I'm not convinced doctors even know what the effects of all of these vaccines at once are on a child.

I was so thankful when my kids were very young my ped did not fall into line on the chicken pox vaccine. He actually didn't want the kids having it. After a couple of years he fell prey to the common belief. because he was the honest ped, I trusted in him, talked to others and finally went for it. So they had it…… and then I thought now what? If it doesn't work and they become pregnant and maybe become teachers and end up with chicken pox. Then I watched as many (MANY) of my friends young children fell prey to shingles. NOT an illness you want your babies to have, this is mean to be dealt with by an unlucky adult and that is it. Now we are vaccinating for shingles and don't know where that will bring us.

Do you know that the more exposure to the chicken pox you have (even after having them) the less likely you are to acquire shingles??? This is no longer possible……even if you do not get your child vaccinated the exposure opportunities are not available due to the majority being vaccinated. This is one that I'd go back and change my decision without thought. I'm kicking myself for changing my mind and letting them get it. We were there for appts at one point and somehow they all ended up with CP boosters… a few months later I sat them down and told them I was sorry!!!! I've had them looking up information since. I'm not somebody who believes off some post on FB, but there is real information out there on the pox and shingles. EVERYBODY should make educated decisions and more importantly NOT be pushed into anything when it comes to physically putting something into your child's body that will physiologically change them forever --- or worse, not -- or worse maybe… just be aware. Again, polio, ya I'd probably still go with that. the basics. I would though NEVER allow them more than one shot at a time after researching and educating myself and deciding yes I want this one.

So new parents, use your noggins. I'm not saying yes nor no, just use your minds, read, (real research, medical journals, talk to people and include those in the med profession.) If you read only about how vaccinations are terrible you'll find only terrible information. If you read only about how they are life changing you'll find only positive information.

Learn how to read REAL RESEARCH!

I had H1N1 pneumonia in 2009 and almost died. It left me with brain deficits. I have not been the same since. Get the shot if you can.

The one year I let them talk me into getting the shot was also the first time in about 20 years that I got the flu. My doctor and I have different theories on why. He says that it was the worst year in somewhat recent history and I probably would have been even worse without it. I think I got it from sitting in the waiting room with all of the people waiting for their shots, and several had most likely been exposed already (and, of course, there were at least a few there being seen because they did have the flu already.)

I usually have to be very sick before I'm willing to go see a doctor, or I need some kind of paperwork from him. My biggest reason for it is that I try hard to stay away from people who might pass on anything that will affect what's left of my lungs, and there's almost always at least one person with a hacking cough in the waiting room when I do go in.

Do they market and push the flu shot in other countries beside Canada and the US? What are the hospitilization and death rates in other countries?

The flu shot is supposed to help you build antibodies against Influenza A (H1N1), Influenza A (H3N2), Influenza B, and 4 other flu viruses. These are the viruses attributed to the most deaths. There are a lot of other circulating flu viruses that affect people that are not covered by this vaccine that are considered to be milder and not life threatening. IIRC, the vaccine is to help keep you from getting the worst of the worst.

Tamiflu is an anti viral used for treating influenza, including H1N1 in patients who have had symptoms for no more than 2 days. It may also be used to prevent influenza in patients 1 year of age or older. It is by prescription.

The one year I let them talk me into getting the shot was also the first time in about 20 years that I got the flu. My doctor and I have different theories on why. He says that it was the worst year in somewhat recent history and I probably would have been even worse without it. I think I got it from sitting in the waiting room with all of the people waiting for their shots, and several had most likely been exposed already (and, of course, there were at least a few there being seen because they did have the flu already.)

I usually have to be very sick before I'm willing to go see a doctor, or I need some kind of paperwork from him. My biggest reason for it is that I try hard to stay away from people who might pass on anything that will affect what's left of my lungs, and there's almost always at least one person with a hacking cough in the waiting room when I do go in.
Same here. When my kids were younger I insisted on their physicals being during summer months. Why go sit with ill people?

Until I'm sure meds are needed! no sick appts here. Never understood the idea of a child who pukes a few times and parent must get to dr ASAP. High fevers, etc.. I wait until I'm sure there is an infection or medical intervention is needed. Go to dr with flu, pay copays to be told you have flu go home rest and liquids watch for dehydration. Gee thx and you just passed that flu onto who knows how many others....even those waiting in the waiting room to get their flu shot and will then say the shot caused their illness, which I suppose in the end it sort of did?

I actually wish there were a way for doc's offices to have 2 separate waiting rooms. One for those there for an illness and those there for routine check ups, vaccinations, and non-contagious injuries. I mean, it wouldn't be 100% effective, I'm sure, but it would reduce the risk.

I am always nervous taking my daughter to a routine checkup because there are sick kids there being seen for everything. JMO

I actually wish there were a way for doc's offices to have 2 separate waiting rooms. One for those there for an illness and those there for routine check ups, vaccinations, and non-contagious injuries. I mean, it wouldn't be 100% effective, I'm sure, but it would reduce the risk.

I am always nervous taking my daughter to a routine checkup because there are sick kids there being seen for everything. JMO
My daughter's pediatrician's office does have two sides- a sick side, and a wellness side for routine visits.

Yes, me. I got the shot in early Nov., and on Sunday I contracted what I think is a mild case of the flu. I still feel crappy, but it could've been much worse. I've had the full-on flu with nausea and fevers for days! Now I'm mostly just very congested, achy, and weak.

That is what happened to me the first time I got the shot. Haven't had one since and I haven't had the flu either.

Hope you feel better!

I get the flu shot every year because:

I have RA and take drugs that suppress my immune system for it. I also have asthma, and a history of pneumonia. While I was growing up, colds and the flu almost always turned into something more severe. Since I have been getting the flu shot, I have had no pneumonia (I also had the pneumonia vaccine) and only 1 case of strep in 3 years.

4 years ago my mom, my brother and myself all got a horrible case of the flu. I mean, it was really bad. My brother and I eventually got over it, but my mom developed pneumonia and died. Even though pneumonia is the COD on her certificate, I believe that flu led directly to her death. I also believe we had h1n1, as it was a problem in our area at that time. I don't know that for sure, though.

I have been in college for the past 2 years, watching students drop like flies all around me during flu season. I haven't had the flu once since I started getting vaccinated.

I also have my son vaccinated. He rarely gets sick, and has never had the flu.

We've only ever experienced very minor tenderness on our arms. I feel very lucky. Our vaccines are covered as part of our office visit, I only pay $5 per shot.

Well, now my daughter left school early today with a bad headache, nausea, and she felt warm, but temp was down. Hope she didn't catch it from me. Being sick sucks!!! I'm still drained of energy.

I'm an "other". I believe flu shots do work for some people, maybe most people. My doctor insisted for years that I get a flu shot because I was asthmatic and subject to bronchitis as well. This was before Advair which has since made me 99% symptom free. I was also taking prednisone which surpresses the immune system frequently in those days so that was probably a factor. Anyway, after every flu shot, I would get sick as heck with flu like symptoms and an asthma flare up. I finally started refusing the shot, but I haven't had the flu since either. I would never advise others not to take the flu shot, but for me, and I suspect quite a few others, it wasn't in my best interests.

Well, now my daughter left school early today with a bad headache, nausea, and she felt warm, but temp was down. Hope she didn't catch it from me. Being sick sucks!!! I'm still drained of energy.
Update: well it turns out it was only a migraine!! She took an Advil and slept for almost four hours and was good as new!

You can't get the flu from the flu shot. It's dead.

Maybe not, but then it doesn't prevent all flu viruses, so you could still get very sick-my brother and I, two states apart, both got the flu several days (maybe 3) after getting the shot. And there have been lots of cases of Guillain Barre following the flu vaccine. I wouldn't forgo certain vaccinations (smallpox, etc) but I won't get another flu shot unless a doctor told me that getting the flu would likely kill me.

The pediatrician that my kids used to go to, had two waiting rooms-one for well patients, and one for the sick ones. It isn't fool-proof, by any means, but at least it shows an effort to minimize contact between sick and well patients

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305
Back