VA VA - The Colonial Parkway Murders, 1986-89

I thought Dark Minds did a great job! (They are airing the highway of tears documentary next wed at 10 PM!)
I agree that the first and last cases with the same sex lovers are connected, but the gap of time between them is what's peculiar.
The other couple murders, however, seem like they were done by an authority figure, or someone impersonating someone of authority. I wonder why they stopped after 1989??

I thought Dark Minds did a great job! (They are airing the highway of tears documentary next wed at 10 PM!)
I agree that the first and last cases with the same sex lovers are connected, but the gap of time between them is what's peculiar.
The other couple murders, however, seem like they were done by an authority figure, or someone impersonating someone of authority. I wonder why they stopped after 1989??

Maybe they moved away for a while, or they were in prison, or just tried real hard to resist the urge to kill

Amber:

Agreed that the murder of Cathy Thomas and Rebecca Dowski in Williamsburg, VA over Columbus Day weekend in 1986 do seem very similar to the killing of Julie Williams and Lollie Winans in the Shenandoah National Park over Memorial Day weekend in 1996. Regarding the time gaps between cases, the working theory is that the perpetrator or perpetrators were either transferred to another location, died, or were incarcerated for an unrelated crime.

Bill Thomas
Brother of Cathleen Thomas
Los Angeles, CA

Thank you for your reply Bill! I hope you get the answers soon!

My name is Bill Thomas. I am the older brother of Cathleen Thomas, who together with her friend Rebecca Dowski were the first two victims in the so-called Colonial Parkway Murders, in which four young couples were murdered near Williamsburg, Virginia from 1986 to 1989.

In an odd turn of events, Fred Atwell, the whistleblower who helped break the story that the FBI had lost control of 84 highly graphic crime scene photos in the
Colonial Parkway Murders in Fall 2009 now appears headed for jail himself. The FBI and the Virginia State Police are still working on the case.

<modsnip>

If you have any questions or thoughts regarding the Colonial Parkway
Murders, please feel free to contact me.

http://articles.dailypress.com/2011..._1_parkway-murders-robbery-charge-fred-atwell
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/06/fred-atwell-colonial-parkway-murders-arrest_n_947121.html

Thanks.

Bill Thomas
Los Angeles, CA

Bill, I am so very sorry about your sister. Have there been any new leads?

Hello everyone! As I mentioned in another post, I am contemplating (actually it is hesitant contemplation at this point) a move to Newport News/Hampton. I was doing some research last night and oddly enough stumbled upon the following:

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=109315&st=30

THOUGHTS?

As I also mentioned in another post, no native Richmonder is a stranger to I-64 with its direct route to beachy Virginia and Carolina destinations. I have traveled this area of 64 more times than I can count to visit friends, go to amusements parks...a day trip to hit the waves...and have recently started visiting a friend in Mathews. (There is a loooooooong stretch of 64 with absolutely NO cell service [not that this was applicable when these crimes happened].)

Unfortunately, I have not heard from anyone when I tried to join the forum to look into the "personal" information if two of those posters.

(I hope everything I posted/linked is acceptable and was done right. If not, feel free to lemme have it!! Hee.)

Hello everyone! As I mentioned in another post, I am contemplating (actually it is hesitant contemplation at this point) a move to Newport News/Hampton. I was doing some research last night and oddly enough stumbled upon the following:

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=109315&st=30

THOUGHTS?

As I also mentioned in another post, no native Richmonder is a stranger to I-64 with its direct route to beachy Virginia and Carolina destinations. I have traveled this area of 64 more times than I can count to visit friends, go to amusements parks...a day trip to hit the waves...and have recently started visiting a friend in Mathews. (There is a loooooooong stretch of 64 with absolutely NO cell service [not that this was applicable when these crimes happened].)

Unfortunately, I have not heard from anyone when I tried to join the forum to look into the "personal" information if two of those posters.

(I hope everything I posted/linked is acceptable and was done right. If not, feel free to lemme have it!! Hee.)

I am looking for links confirming mentioned information might be true . So far I have this. But from 96.

http://voices.yahoo.com/eligible-execution-story-daryl-atkins-7889494.html
However, they were unable to think of a good place to leave him in the Hampton area so they made their way to an area just outside of Yorktown, Virginia. At the instruction of Atkins, Jones drove the truck for approximately twenty minutes on Interstate 64. They then exited at Lee Hall and headed northeast on Highway 238, followed by turning onto Crafford Road (which later turns to Crawford Road), a curvy asphalt road. They took Crafford a half mile before crossing into York County and entering the national preserve area of the Colonial National Historical Park, where there were no stores, houses, people, or streetlamps.

Soulmagent, you are gooooooood.
Let's put our heads together and see what we can unearth in time!!

FYI ~ I am trying to gather information on a ("cold") case that happened here in Richmond when I was about 8...the child's school photo and facts, well lack thereof, of the case have haunted me for about 30 years. That case it what actually brought me to this WS!! (And no, there is no thread already in existence on this site.) I have noticed some of your other posts, and when I find my brain and get everything together, I'd LOOOVE to see what your brainstorming can bring to light!!

Bumping! Anything new on this Guys?

This case is very interesting to me because I've lived in Williamsburg, VA my whole life. (Thankfully not much happens here in our quiet town.) I was a child when the murders happened and I didn't learn about them until I was older. I spent many evenings on the Colonial Parkway in the late '90s and early '00s. I'd park there with friends and boyfriends to hang out. One summer night some friends and I were in the water a little bit and a cop came by and told us we had to get out. Other than that, I never saw anyone else parked anywhere at night.

I wonder if the murderer is dead or in prison? Every so often I check for updates, but I never see any. :(

On my site, I have been compiling a large list of lover's lane murders across the county, a couple in the VA,WV areas too I think. I will try and put a list together to post here

I remember this case well as we used to live in the area and I still have family there. Drove this road many times. JMO, thought it might have been someone in the military who has since moved on to another location.

Seems like more of a sexual predator in the Virginia Beach case, whereas, the Colonial Parkway killer targets couples in secluded areas.

I am also from this area and remember these cases. I wrote about them on my blog.

Bill Thomas, God bless him, has worked hard for years to find out what happened to his sister. I really hope he finds out.

At one time there was an interest in this case and the Route 29 stalker, but those cases did not involve couples.

The Colonial Parkway Murders remain an open investigation. The Thomas/Dowski murder and the Call/Hailey disappearance, which happened on the Federal property of the Colonial Parkway, are being handled by the FBI from their offices in Newport News and Norfolk, VA. The Phelps/Lauer murder and the Edwards/Knobling case are being handled by the Virginia State Police as they happened off the Colonial Parkway. If anyone has a tip or other information, they can contact me here, via the same username at America Online, or contact the FBI or Virginia State Police.

Bill Thomas
Colonial Parkway Murders
Los Angeles, CA

If anyone is interested in the Colonial Parkway Murders, please feel free to contact me. Here are a few quick thoughts.
Conversation springing from discussions of the September 2o14 disappearance of Hannah Elizabeth Graham and suspect Jesse Leroy Matthew, Jr.

Obviously, the Colonial Parkway Murders are too far back to have involved JLM Junior. The JLM Junior/Senior theory is a bit wild, but I suppose you never know.

Fall dates again: my sister Cathy and her girlfriend Rebecca 'Becky' Dowski's murder kicked off the Colonial Parkway Murders on or about October 10, 1986.

3 of the 4 Colonial Parkway double homicides also happened in September or October.

DNA: remember there was no DNA testing when the Colonial Parkway murders happened in 1986-1989. FBI Norfolk/Newport News, who are responsible for the Thomas/Dowski killing and the Call/Hailey disappearance are re-testing evidence for DNA at FBI labs in Quantico. Cold cases like our are lower priorities, although I do like to say that we have been standing in this line for almost 28 years.

The Phelps/Lauer and Knobling/Edwards murders are both Virginia State Police cases, handled by separate VSP offices. Not sure that they are retesting evidence; I really doubt it.

Forensics: none of the four double homicides in the Colonial Parkway Murders are linked by forensics. It is possible that they are not related.

1996 Williams/Winans connection: the FBI said publicly in 1996 that they were looking at possible connections between the killing of Julie Williams and Laura 'Lollie' Winans and that of Cathy Thomas and Rebecca Dowski in 1986.

I see possible overlap in the following areas: National Parks in Virginia, isolated rural locations, athletic lesbian couples, holiday weekends (Columbus Day 1986, Memorial Day 1996), both crimes investigated by National Park Service Investigative Rangers (I believe that 4 NPS Rangers overlap-- they were assigned to Colonial Parkway in 1986 and then assigned to Shenandoah National Park in 1996) and FBI, both female couples bound with throats cut.

Route 29 Stalker case: For me, the 1996 Alicia Showalter Reynolds killing has some similarities to the recent missing women.

Now back to JLM.

Cassandra Morton: This one deserves another look. If she was on the street, and may have been using drugs or alcohol, she might be the incapacitated woman that this killer looks for.

JLM type: Note that in the Coy Barefoot JLM timeline story, he seems to be an equal opportunity offender. If he is the right guy, he might not just go for pretty blondes, but women who are out of it and highly vulnerable. I think one of his friends even said that he tended to go for women who were drunk, high or otherwise out of it.

Newport News: Those 3 women that went missing during his time there deserve a much closer look. Way too close for comfort.

Overlap: I have begun to think about JLM's history as being like a Venn diagram. Remember those circles from math class or (shudder at the thought) statistics? If you start overlapping the circles, there are just so many that overlap that include JLM. Those with a history of accusations of sexual violence, socially awkward, impulse control, assault charges, lack of boundaries, creeper/stalker behavior, seen on video with Hannah, resemblance to the sketch, went to school near Anchorage Farm, attended Liberty University, cab drivers, proximity to where Morgan's shirt was found, the fall failed football career thing, the overlapping dates with so many of the other recent cases. I am sure that I have forgotten a few, but the hits just keep on coming.

Finally, DNA: In the Hannah Graham disappearance, I think DNA may provide the link we are looking for in some of the recent cases.

Thanks for listening.

Bill Thomas
Brother of Cathy Thomas
Colonial Parkway Murders

I get the impression that all these couples were "parking" but all had at least one member who was 20 or more years old so why didn't they have their own place or get a motel room? Parking seemed particularly risky in the case of David Knobling, 20, and Robin Edwards, 14, since the age of consent in New Jersey is 16 when the other partner is more than 4 years older. I wonder if he knew her actual age.

At any rate, all the cases occurred in mild weather months for whatever that's worth. Maybe the killer was too big a pansy for hot or cold weather.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho
Back