GUILTY MO - Hailey Owens, 10, Springfield, 18 Feb 2014 #3

wow. We always hear in every single case about how criminals have a status structure and child killers rapists were the lowest on that structure.

I have never actually heard of anything like this. Where actual prisoners housed behind bars are writing the parents of a murdered child to express sympathy and empathy for them.

just wow.
Me neither.. JMO...
It's the strangest sort of heartwarming thing. Reminds me of how oversaturated US prisons are with nonviolent/drug offenders, how different a money/turf motivated crime immediately seems from one of purely antisocial selfishness and depravity. Also reminds me of what I guess is my own need for primal vengeance, when I find myself wishing for less inmate segregation..

Oh yes!!!! Prisoner's watch TV and hear the radio, read the newspaper and things. They are very aware of whats going on. There is a sort of self policing in prison, if a child offender comes in, THEY all know about it and make him feel like an outcast. I had this one guy who wrote his victims everyday for 6 months, one of the other prisoners found out and made his life hell! Then that prisoner wrote the victims to express sympathy and offered to take care of this guy for them. It's CRAZY!

Accused killer of Hailey Owens wants statements thrown out

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -
An attorney for a Springfield man suspected of kidnapping and killing a 10-year-old girl want statements he made to police after his arrest to be suppressed.

Attorney Patrick Berrigan writes in court documents that Craig Michael Wood was suffering from intoxication, emotional turmoil and psychological instability when he was arrested in February in the death of Hailey Owens.

"04/18/2014 Motion Hearing Scheduled
/KDG
Scheduled For: 04/21/2014; 9:30 AM ; MARK A POWELL; Greene

04/17/2014 Motion to Quash
Motion to Quash, or in the Alternative Modify Preliminary Hearing Subpoenas; Notice of Hearing FILED. /KDG Electronic Filing Certificate of Service.
Filed By: JOHN DANIEL PATTERSON

04/16/2014 Motion to Suppress
Motion to Suppress Statements; Electronic Filing Certificate of Service. FILED. /KDG
Filed By: PATRICK JOSEPH BERRIGAN
On Behalf Of: CRAIG MICHAEL WOOD "

According to mo.gov.casenet as of 4-18-2014

So, do I understand it correctly that the Prosecutor has filed a motion of his own to modify
the statements to the preliminary hearing to "quash" the ones taken immediately after the arrest. Pretty much saying fine we don't need those anyway? What's your read on it?
JMO's

I am so worried about this --- PLEASE TELL ME he won't get off on a technicality. PLEASE TELL ME SPD did this right!!!

Accused killer of Hailey Owens wants statements thrown out

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -
An attorney for a Springfield man suspected of kidnapping and killing a 10-year-old girl want statements he made to police after his arrest to be suppressed.

Attorney Patrick Berrigan writes in court documents that Craig Michael Wood was suffering from intoxication, emotional turmoil and psychological instability when he was arrested in February in the death of Hailey Owens.

so his statements should be thrown out because he was suffering guilt (emotional turmoil) and got drunk (intoxicated) and what he told police was the truth about his terrible deeds (psychological instability)? Alrighty then.

SOP for defense attorney to try to get the incriminating statements thrown out. Not gonna happen, but hey, they have to try.

Update- Additional charges filed as a result of final ME report.
http://www.ozarksfirst.com/story/d/...iley-owens-death/25277/HWCgtAuHwUKW5qWSXdKi0g

Wood is now charged with muder, armed criminal action, kidnapping, rape and first degree sodomy.

RIP child.

I suppose this is the charges we all knew were forthcoming. Nauseating to say the least.

I would like to say how much I appreciate all those on this thread that have been respectful in light of this subject regarding Hailey. In spite of what we all privately speculated happened it has not been written about graphically over this time in a disrespectful way. Much unlike I have seen on other threads.

I am in hopes now for the internet and child *advertiser censored* federal charges to come forth now as well.

Also, this article where the Judge ruled on statements given immediately after Wood's arrest. It's my understanding the DA basically said he won't use them anyway. I'm sure not needed in the prosecution or to show probable cause for trial.

http://www.news-leader.com/story/ne...inating-statements-craig-wood-tossed/7958921/
TIA, JMO's

So sad for Hailey and her family. Reading those words just leaves me feeling at a total loss for the world, no capacity to understand why and how someone could do such a thing to a child.
I just don't understand how a parent goes on after this. I am so glad to hear they are receiving a lot of support from those around them. I hope it never stops, they'll always need it.

My heart broke once again regarding Hailey's case when I read the new Daily Mail article posted a few hours ago. I suspected this monster's actions were sexually motivated but hoped so much like all of you that he never got the chance to do anything and snapped and killed this innocent little girl quickly (which would be bad enough).

It goes without saying Hailey's family must be even more devastated and heartbroken if it's even possible with these new charges. How does a parent/family survive after trauma like this I cannot imagine the pain. They continue to be in my prayers

"A southwest Missouri youth football coach accused of kidnapping and killing a 10-year-old girl is now also facing rape and sodomy charges.

Greene County prosecutors added the new charges against Craig Michael Wood, 46, of Springfield on Monday. Court documents indicate the additional charges in the February death of Hailey Owens stem from newly available autopsy results."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...added-Missouri-girls-death.html#ixzz2zfIy6WWh

That poor sweet naive little girl:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't even write anything much after reading charges.
I'm sorry but I wish great afflictions on the .
Justice for Hailey.

Poor little girl must have been so frightened. :(

Thank goodness this CW monster is off the streets.

I don't think this was his first offense. jmo

What a look of defiance in his jail photo. Unbelievable.

Amended Felony Complaint:

http://www.ozarksfirst.com/media/li...fe1ff72fb84/Wood_Felony_Complaint_Amended.pdf

vy2eru5e.jpg

havesy6e.jpg

e4y6ymag.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

04/24/2014 Preliminary Hearing Scheduled
Scheduled For: 05/22/2014; 1:00 PM ; MARK A POWELL; Greene

Hearing Continued/Rescheduled
STATE BY PROSECUTOR D. PATTERSON AND ASSISTANT PROSECUTOR T. MYERS. DEFENDANT IN PERSON FROM GREENE COUNTY JAIL AND BY ATTY P. BERRIGAN. STATE'S MOTION FOR LEAVE TO FILE AMENDED FELONY COMPLAINT IS SUSTAINED OVER DEFENDANT'S OBJECTION. AMENDED FELONY COMPLAINT SHOWN FILED THIS DATE. DEFENDANT WAIVES READING AND PLEADS NOT GUILTY. BASED ON NEW CHARGES IN THE AMENDED FELONY COMPLAINT, THE DEFENDANT REQUESTS A CONTINUANCE OF THE PRELIMINARY HEARING. PRELIMINARY HEARING IS CONTINUED OVER STATE'S OBJECTION. PRELIMINARY HEARING IS RESET TO 5-22-14 AT 1:00 PM. MAP/hep
Hearing Continued From: 04/24/2014; 10:00 AM Preliminary Hearing

According to: mo.courts.casenet

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member