NH NH - Missing young women in NH

murraydwyer said:
http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=4346935
[snip]
The change-- a direct response to criticism that detectives waited too long to get involved in the disappearances of Maura Murray in Haverhill, New Hampshire and Brianna Maitland in Montgomery, both two years ago.
Police Investigate Disappearance Of Albany Woman, 1/12/06
http://www.caledonianrecord.com/pages/top_news/story/9917b259d
The distance between Fontaine's home in Albany and where she was seen in Irasburg is about 9 miles.

Bachand also declined to comment about Associated Press reports that Fontaine is seven weeks pregnant.

"Half of the stuff out there is baloney," said Bachand, referring to information in the community. "We have to waste time because of it."

Fontaine is described as being 5 feet tall, weighing 120 pounds with brown hair and brown eyes. She was last seen Friday at Bob's Quick Stop on Route 14 in Irasburg.

Fontaine was wearing a large gray Champion sweat shirt, blue jeans and possibly hiking boots.

Anyone who has seen Fontaine or knows her whereabouts is asked to contact the Derby barracks at 334-8881.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Police hunt for Albany woman missing since Friday, 1/12/06
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060112/NEWS02/601120312/1007/NEWS05

The search for Tina Fontaine marks a change from when Brianna Maitland disappeared in two years ago. The Sheldon resident was 17 when she disappeared in March 2004. She has not been found.

"At this time we have no reason to suspect foul play other than she's disappeared," Bachand said of Fontaine. "We're concerned about that but we're tracking down all the leads that are coming in and interviewing as many people and friends as we can."

Fontaine's car was found in the driveway at her home. Authorities said the substitute teacher at North Country Union High School in Newport is seven weeks pregnant.

Fontaine's boyfriend, Franky Niles, said the Northeast Kingdom native's disappearance was completely out of character for her. He said he last saw her when he kissed her goodbye as he left the home they shared in Albany.
[...]
The state police have been criticized for being slow to involve detectives in Maitland's disappearance.

Bachand said they were jumping right in this time.

"We have more resources, more time we can devote, where the uniformed guys are more emergency response and they have other duties with traffic and other stuff," he said. "We can commit our time and resources to a case-by-case basis, one case at a time."
MUCH more at links, please read!

Police arrest boyfriend of Albany woman who had been missing

ALBANY, Vt. -- Police have found the body of Tina Fontaine, missing since Jan. 7, and arrested her boyfriend in connection with the death of the 29-year-old woman.

The state police said Sunday that Franky Niles, 32, was arrested Saturday.

State police said that Fontaine's body was found in a shallow grave "a short distance" from the home.

The police did not say whether the body was found before or after Niles' arrest.

Niles lived with Fontaine and had said he last saw her when he kissed her goodbye as he left the home they shared in Albany.

"She wouldn't just up and leave, at least without letting somebody know," Niles had said at the time of the disappearance. He added, "What's going through my mind right now is everything. I feel useless. I fell helpless. There's nothing I can do."

Authorities had said Fontaine had been last seen buying cigarettes Friday at Bob's Quick Stop in Irasburg. Her car was found in the driveway at her home. She was said to be seven weeks pregnant.

WCAX

Hello. This is MerryJo. I am the Admin. (and friend of Sharon Garry's) at the family and friend's website recently published for Tina and Bethany Sinclair.

I was reading here at your forum and am familiar with Maura Murray's case and Brianna Maitland.

We are gathering as many sites and visitors to our site to gain attention to Tina and Bethany. They have been missing for over 5 years from West Chesterfield, NH. They lived with a, now convicted and released, sex offender. He lives back in the same house the girls lived in on the CT river.

Sharon and I were intrigued by the many disappearances and murders that have occured in that region.

We would like to invite you to our new website. We also have a discussion forum board.

Our POI is living a normal life in the neighborhood where the girls disappeared and we fear what has happened to the girls may happen again...perhaps has happened in the past.

Please visit us at:
http://missingtinaandbeth.org/

I want to continue reading here at your forum and create a thread at ours regarding all of the combined cases in that area.

Thank you for your time and efforts at this board.

Sincerely, MerryJo
webmaster@missingtinaandbeth.org

Wow, MerryJo, that is some awesome website!! very well done! I will let as many as I can know about this case. I'm sure you are going through hell right now...

I tried checking the suspected perp from MerryJo's website and I get no info, I may not be doing it right but even if I am, New Hampshire has alot of rules when it comes to publishing info on various sex offenders (they should be more forthcoming I would think...) e.g.

From the NH Registered Offenders Against Children Database:

Persons accessing the database are cautioned that the registry contains identifying information about the offense for which the sex offender/offender against children is registered. IT DOES NOT REFLECT THE ENTIRE CRIMINAL HISTORY OF THE LISTED SEX OFFENDER/OFFENDER AGAINST CHILDREN--- WHY NOT ????

Also quoted from the above source:

The information on this web site is NOT the entire list of registered sex offenders in the State of New Hampshire. This list contains:
  1. Outstanding arrest warrants for any sexual offender or offender against children who has not complied with the offender´s obligations to register under Chapter 651-B "Registration of Criminal Offenders"; and
  2. Certain information about registered offenders who have committed certain criminal offenses against children. Please note, however, that the list will not contain information about an offender against children where a court has granted the offender against children´s application for removal from the public registry requirement, pursuant to RSA 651-B:7, VI.
Okay, so it a pretty useless site I guess. Great, score again for the pervs!--I don't know, maybe I am not getting it, but this sounds like it is so fraught with legal mumbo jumbo that a citizen really doesn't have the right to that much info regarding a potentially and very harmful individual who could be living right in your neighborhood or town etc.:furious: Any thoughts?

MerryJo said:
Hello. This is MerryJo. I am the Admin. (and friend of Sharon Garry's) at the family and friend's website recently published for Tina and Bethany Sinclair.

I was reading here at your forum and am familiar with Maura Murray's case and Brianna Maitland.

We are gathering as many sites and visitors to our site to gain attention to Tina and Bethany. They have been missing for over 5 years from West Chesterfield, NH. They lived with a, now convicted and released, sex offender. He lives back in the same house the girls lived in on the CT river.

Sharon and I were intrigued by the many disappearances and murders that have occured in that region.

We would like to invite you to our new website. We also have a discussion forum board.

Our POI is living a normal life in the neighborhood where the girls disappeared and we fear what has happened to the girls may happen again...perhaps has happened in the past.

Please visit us at:
http://missingtinaandbeth.org/

I want to continue reading here at your forum and create a thread at ours regarding all of the combined cases in that area.

Thank you for your time and efforts at this board.

Sincerely, MerryJo
webmaster@missingtinaandbeth.org

Hi, I'd hate this info to get lost in this long messagethread, so I started up a new separate thread devoted to the Sinclairs.

Here is a direct link to the new Websleuths messagethread:

Mother: Tina Sinclair 34; Daughter: Bethany Sinclair, 15 - New Hampshire FEB 3, 2001

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39945

Thanks, MerryJo! I was typing in Van Bowman.

5/23/2001 632-A:2, II Aggravated Felonious Sexual Assault (Victim under 13 y.o.)

What a sicko!! :eek: He's a pretty big, scary looking fellow...I hope you find your answers and I will pass along your site to everyone I know.

and some VERY curious stuff popped up when searched for "Gary Leblanc"-specifically info from 2000 involving a case where a Gary Leblanc who was a corrections officer was convicted in some type of coverup that involved investigation by NH authorities-but I'm not sure if its the same person or not.

Here is the link for the addl info related to what I posted earlier...

http://www.thedailyitemoflynn.com/news/view.bg?articleid=12424

Very interesting thread yourall got going..I only read through it 1 time.. but in that such of a small area I have to agree with most of you..There is something very wrong here..I really don't know if "trying look like in a gang " start's this type of action or not but what I have seen the crime rate go up in area's this happen's... But I notice yourall have had trouble clear back into the 1960's or longer...This myself make's me think about people from Big City's south of where yourall live come up there on weekend trip's and Vacation's could be the cause of some of this major crime??? What ever the problem is There is just way too many missing person's and death's in this area for The govt official's just to turn a blind eye to it, and don't make wave's, and all just in the name of Tourism...That's just not right out of the Govt Official's...Youall look like you are doing a fine job trying to stay on top of this major problem youall keep up the very fine work you are doing...

Bay area murder-suicide sparks Vermont cold case investigation

ASSOCIATED PRESS
ST. PETERSBURG - A murder-suicide in Florida has rekindled interest in a series of unsolved murders along the Connecticut River Valley that separates New Hampshire and Vermont.

Michael Nicholaou shot his estranged wife and stepdaughter before killing himself New Year's Eve 2005, authorities said. Lynn-Marie Carty, a retired Vermont criminal profiler and a New Hampshire cold case detective recognized Nicholaou's name and started investigating, the St. Petersburg Times reported Sunday."

http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/local/14796791.htm
I thought this was interesting as the article state that there might be a tie from MICHAEL NICHOLAOU to the remains of at least six young women dumped beside back roads along Interstate-91 in a stretch that straddled Vermont and New Hampshire.

Here is a second link to a similar story.
http://www.sptimes.com/2006/06/11/Tampabay/Tracking_a_ghost.shtml

Does anyone know where he was when Maura Murray vanished? After all, she was a NURSING student!

talelights said:
I thought this was interesting as the article state that there might be a tie from MICHAEL NICHOLAOU to the remains of at least six young women dumped beside back roads along Interstate-91 in a stretch that straddled Vermont and New Hampshire.

That was already posted on this forum (Missing/Located)on the thread "Lynn-Marie Carty;Florida murder-suicide rekindles interest in 1980s Vt-NH deaths" on 6/11/2006.It was also posted in "crimes in the news."

dark_shadows said:
That was already posted on this forum (Missing/Located)on the thread "Lynn-Marie Carty;Florida murder-suicide rekindles interest in 1980s Vt-NH deaths" on 6/11/2006.It was also posted in "crimes in the news."
"As these threads are loomed into each other, one day they going to make a blanket to smother crimes like these before they grow."

Thanks dark_shadows for keeping this one going straight.

"In the Seacoast area, there are 10 deaths in the past 25 years ruled as unsolved homicides. Seacoast Crime Stoppers, an organization that runs local crime lines and offers rewards for information leading to convictions, has tried to keep these cold cases in the public eye. Besides publishing information about the crimes and posting pictures of the victims in town buildings, Seacoast Crime Stoppers is offering up to a $20,000 reward for information regarding these cases."

By Beth LaMontagne
blamontagne@seacoastonline.com

http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/08062006/nhnews-06sun-crime.stoppers.html

Not only known unsolved murders concern people but also people have posted about being concerned about what they feel is too many unsolved missing persons which they fear may turn out to be murder victems. However in one case a N.H. young lady was recently found alive and working in a restaraunt in Florida, just one piece of good news which seemed nice to share.

Laura Mackenzie- missing from N.H.
http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37685&page=6&pp=40

Laura Mackenzie FOUND
http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41774

talelights said:

The article doesn't mention this first "Valley Killer" victim from 1978:

The unknown slayer's first victim was likely Cathy Millican, 26, her body found on September 25, 1978, in a wetlands preserve near New London, New Hampshire. She had been stabbed to death. It was not until Schaefer had claimed his three victims that the Valley Killer struck again on May 30, 1984. Nurse's aid Bernice Courtemanche, 17 when she disappeared, was not found until almost two years after her disappearance. A subsequent autopsy revealed evidence that she too had been stabbed to death.

I wonder if Carty is aware of that. She should definitely attempt to nail down Nicholaou's whereabouts for that first murder as well. From what I recall from the book Shadows of Death, the 1978 Cathy Millican murder was almost certainly the work of the same guy, because the pattern of stab wounds was nearly identical to 3 or 4 of the others.

Does anyone know what became of the DNA evidence linking Nicholaou to Jane Boroski? I've looked all over the internet for this information and I haven't seen anything either way even though that DNA evidence was submitted in 2006.

If nothing else, I'm shocked nothing happened with the Michelle Nicholaou case. Clearly this man had a capacity for killing those close to him. Here's Michelle's profile on the Doe Network.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back