NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sept 2012 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bump for Faith. Hoping August will be the month her case finally gets solved.

I wonder how many classes did she attend at UNC? It might be worthwhile to check out all male students that she might have shared a small class with such as a recitation. Way too many people in lectures, but in recitations and small foreign language or major related classes, students can get to know each other a lot more. Perhaps a guy in one of her classes became obsessed with her and stalked her after she refused his advances?

I'd like to hear more about all local neighbors she had at the time and the articles left in the room, are we talking ropes or what things....those details could help catch her killer if they were fetish related. We need to know all of her male neighbors, even those who just had girlfriends that lived there. Neighbors.

imsay fetish related because on the 911 call she says she isn't like that and she is upset at the things in the room, and that's my gut talking. I listen. Whatever was in that room may Hv something to do with...Snm or bondage. It could lead a girlfriend to come fwd if they know that was their partners fetish. I think it's crucial actually.

I'd like to hear more about all local neighbors she had at the time and the articles left in the room, are we talking ropes or what things....those details could help catch her killer if they were fetish related. We need to know all of her male neighbors, even those who just had girlfriends that lived there. Neighbors.

imsay fetish related because on the 911 call she says she isn't like that and she is upset at the things in the room, and that's my gut talking. I listen. Whatever was in that room may Hv something to do with...Snm or bondage. It could lead a girlfriend to come fwd if they know that was their partners fetish. I think it's crucial actually.

Oh wow, good catch Cherry. I think you're right.

Caller: I don’t know what’s going on. Like…there’s stuff in my room that, like, was not here before. Looks like someone had came in here.

Caller: It looks like someone had been in there because…she’s not like this at all. I don’t know why she’s bleeding.

Maybe the caller was referring to sex objects / bdsm type stuff ... but also could it have been drugs / alcohol? I think that's another possibility.

New details released.

Two years after a University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill student was found dead in her off-campus apartment, police on Thursday released new details from their investigation in an attempt to generate more leads and a possible break in the case.

"Faith’s body was positioned on the floor, leaning against the bed, with her shirt pulled up. She had no clothes from the waist down," Chapel Hill Police Chief Chris Blue said.

A fast-food takeout bag was on the bed with "I'm not stupid (expletive) Jealous" scribbled on it, police said.

Investigators found semen on her, but police wouldn't say whether she had been sexually assaulted or had consensual sex before she was killed. Blue said the DNA from the semen matched a man's DNA that was found elsewhere in the apartment.

More at link: http://www.wral.com/police-release-details-of-unc-student-s-2012-homicide/13951460/

Here's another Raleigh article:

Chapel Hill police offer new details in Faith Hedgepeth killing

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/09...ce-offer-new-details.html?sp=/99/102/110/113/

The criminal profilers said then the suspect could have known Hedgepeth, possibly lived near her at some point, talked about her in the past or shown a keen interest in the case. The suspect might have been unaccounted for during the early hours of Sept. 7, 2012, and could have left the area suddenly without adequate explanation for the departure...

They have asked “persons of interest” to provide oral DNA swabs to compare to the profile from the crime scene.

Though no samples have been found to match the evidence from the apartment, not all “persons of interest” have agreed to provide DNA samples, according to Chapel Hill police.

It sounds like they so know who did this, but they need a nail for the killer's coffin. I wish somebody would cooperate so Faith's family can heal and move forward. Somebody else knows what happened, JMHO.

why in the world wasn't the "note" released earlier!? duhhh ...appears to include several possible tell-tale letters... this case just seems to have been botched from the first 72 hrs. on (and now the Chapel Hill Police are in a no-win situation -- if the case isn't solved they look like idiots, and if it IS solved at last, due to community input, they'll look like incompetents for taking so long).

Oh wow, good catch Cherry. I think you're right.

Maybe the caller was referring to sex objects / bdsm type stuff ... but also could it have been drugs / alcohol? I think that's another possibility.

given today's update it could simply be that the roommate saw her unclothed and meant she's not the promiscuous type. the updated information released today gives no indication of other objects of note in the room.

They mentioned a fast-food bag with the unintelligible and mildly profane message – “I’M NOT STUPID *advertiser censored*” “JEALOUS” [my asterisks] – found at the Hawthorne at the View apartment where Hedgepeth was killed.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/09...ce-offer-new-details.html?sp=/99/102/110/113/

That quote above sounds like it was written by someone familiar with Faith, IMO. Surely someone, if he/she has not done so already, will see that message, and put 2 + 2 together, and have a strong feeling about who wrote it. I'm guessing her roommate doesn't know, or the LE would already know -- but maybe they do know, but have no DNA...

"Jealous" -- that is a nagging word. Bothersome. Familiar, IMO. A spurned boyfriend or hopeful boyfriend? Someone Faith just did not like in the apt building? Classmate? Waiter? Bartender? She was a pretty girl... <smh>

One thing I will say for the Chapel Hill LE -- I watched the trial (more than once) & read everything I could find & kept up with the Eve Carson case (more than once), as so many of us did, and I was impressed throughout. The CHPD did one he!! of a job in that case, IMO. They had stacks of evidence -- from the front-line patrol officers who were first on the scene, then the sharp investigators/detectives, and one heck of a prosecution team, and all the rest -- they made a quick & effective arrest, and nailed the murderer very tightly. First-class, IMO.

ETA:
I wonder how much CHPD has had to do with this case -- sounds like they've got it all -- the murder location is not really in their jurisdiction, but their jurisdiction certainly does surround the crime, so to speak. The Durham County LE is spread a bit thin at times since the population (~280,000) and crime rate (logically) is much larger than Orange County's (~134,000).

Maybe we will start finding out a bit more about things with this recent appeal for help -- hope so.

I'm highly curious about the person(s) of interest who would not a provide DNA sample. Who?? I wonder if it's the roommate's (ex?) bf.

Whoever it is, sounds like they're ready to smoke him out.

And I agree borndem, I think they have kept details secret for a reason, and I don't have any inkling that this is a compromised investigation in any way.

the note I referred to earlier is viewable here (enlarged):
http://chapelboro.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Note-image.jpg
Again, I think several of the hand-scrawled letters are interestingly formed, and if released 2 years ago, some combination of them might've been recognizable by someone (even if writing on a paperbag has misshapen the person's usual handwriting). By now it may be too late (the person could be in Bolivia by now), and so many memories are faded (2-yr.-old memories, that CHPD are calling for, often aren't even reliable).

Wow, Webthrush -- Seeing that note as it really was, was amazing. Thanks for posting.

I've been thinking about those words -- familiar, personal, IMO, as I said earlier. And the words, "bi**h" and "Jealous" seem to me to be more feminine-type words... Some former gf of someone FH was dating or hanging out with, maybe? Did this person (old gf) think FH was involved with someone and she completely misinterpreted it? Did she walk in on them after following him to FH's apt? With a good weapon, anyone can do almost anything if he/she catches the other person when she doesn't know it's coming... And a female could not be matched to the type DNA that was found on FH, of course...

Let me be clear that I am in no way thinking of her poor roommate who walked into that apt and saw her friend in extremis. Can you imagine walking in on that? That would never, ever be out of your head for the rest of your life. Horrible and unimaginable.

And, please excuse, but beating someone to death is very personal, IMO. I think, as many do, that the killer knew little Faith. Grrrr.

I'm just saying we shouldn't rule out a female -- that would explain the lack of DNA match from the male cheek swabs. We have read that Faith was outgoing & friendly, bless her. Someone who lived in the apt who thought her husband or bf was seeing FH, or just spending too much time with her -- when they were just studying together or she was helping him on a project or a paper or something. Or just some very insecure or possessive (or both) gf or wife living in the building who saw them walking together or talking "too much"? Someone FH gave a ride to class or the library -- something like that?

I'm rambling & it's late. Just my thoughts since this case seems to be just plain stuck -- at least as far as we know now.

JMHO

Borndem, that's an interesting (even if unlikely) thought that never occurred to me (female assailant)... assuming the perp came in through the front door at that hour of the morning, and not through a window or some such (I don't know the layout of the apts), it stands to reason it was someone FH knew or trusted (either an acquaintance, or a police officer or person dressed as such). So far as I recall there were no sounds of a major struggle from neighbors, making one think either the assault was over quickly or FH had been drugged beforehand (again I don't recall any finding of such?).

Couple things I'm puzzled by:

1) the recent timeline released by LE has FH and her roomate Karena Rosario leaving The Thrill nightclub at 2:38 am and going home&#8230; then they state that Faith was last known to be alive for sure around 3 am. presumably when she and Karena were both at the apt. THEN they state that Karena left at 4:27 am (I don't know how they come up with such an exact time unless it is from a parking lot surveillance camera, in which case what ELSE have they picked up from such a camera?). So how come they don't know for sure that FH was essentially alive ~ 4:30? -- the implication would be that FH dropped KR off at the apt., but then went back out herself around 3, and that's when KR last saw her? Again, does a camera catch her leaving and returning at some point??? &#8230;just all confusing (as so much about this case and LE behavior has been).

2) the incriminating note is said to be written on a fast-food take-out bag&#8230; assuming it is from that night(?), why no mention of where and what time they got food -- a Hardee's, Wendy's, and McDonalds are all pretty close to the apt. complex -- how does that fit in the timeline? -- I don't know off-hand if ANY of them are even open at that hour of the morning?

3) and then there's new information about glasses and alcohol being found at the death scene -- so again, can we assume 'date rape' drugs were tested for and discounted (both at the scene and at autopsy)???

More information released today:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/09/05/4124003/court-documents-unsealed-in-search.html

Several added details, but as usual only opens many more questions (including trying to fathom how releasing most of this info 2 yrs. ago could have 'compromised' the case). Hate to be so cynical but don't think LE really understands solving crimes -- profit-making speed-traps are their forte; solving murders, assaults, larcenies (now common in formerly quiet Chapel Hill), not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288