CONVICTION OVERTURNED MD - Hae Min Lee, 17, Baltimore, 13 Jan 1999

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got into this podcast (through episode 5) and I'm obsessed! I have so many questions I want to discuss, but I don't even know where to begin. Like most sleuthers, I tried to research this whole case and cast of characters prior to diving too far into the podcast and I think it's kind of strange there's very little information aside for Serial's information.

jellybeanz, I am very intrigued to hear more on Jay's potential motive. He is by far the oddest part of this whole case if you ask me. Maybe it's coming up in episode 6 or 7 that I still need to listen to, but I really want to hear from Stephanie!

Nice to see others are also obsessed with this podcast. I look forward to a new episode every Friday.

I have family living very close to where this happened, so I am somewhat familiar with the area.

Really looking forward to next week's episode about Jay. Perhaps the deal he got for his testimony will also come out?

I have to say I think episodes 6 & 7 have been my favorite so far. Jenn's roommate was interesting and I wonder if Adnan was right in that he wouldn't have seemed all that odd to her had he not been convicted of this murder. I also think Deidre is SO fascinating and am really excited to see where her team goes with this. I'm also really interested to see what kind of deal Jay got for his testimony.

Just got into this podcast (through episode 5) and I'm obsessed! I have so many questions I want to discuss, but I don't even know where to begin. Like most sleuthers, I tried to research this whole case and cast of characters prior to diving too far into the podcast and I think it's kind of strange there's very little information aside for Serial's information.

jellybeanz, I am very intrigued to hear more on Jay's potential motive. He is by far the oddest part of this whole case if you ask me. Maybe it's coming up in episode 6 or 7 that I still need to listen to, but I really want to hear from Stephanie!
Saad, Adnan's friend, replied in his AMA on reddit that Hae was going to confront Jay on his cheating with other girls over her friend Stephanie.

That would kinda tie in with Adnan encouraging Jay to go buy something for Stephanies birthday that day or the relationship was blown.

It's also been said that Stephanie was interested in Adnan after Hae and Adnan split up.

So depending on how true any of that is, there could be a motive for Jay somewhere in there.

I have to say I think episodes 6 & 7 have been my favorite so far. Jenn's roommate was interesting and I wonder if Adnan was right in that he wouldn't have seemed all that odd to her had he not been convicted of this murder. I also think Deidre is SO fascinating and am really excited to see where her team goes with this. I'm also really interested to see what kind of deal Jay got for his testimony.
There are links to court documents in post #16 on this thread. It is a lot of reading, but there are large sections on Jay's deal in there.

Saad, Adnan's friend, replied in his AMA on reddit that Hae was going to confront Jay on his cheating with other girls over her friend Stephanie.

That would kinda tie in with Adnan encouraging Jay to go buy something for Stephanies birthday that day or the relationship was blown.

It's also been said that Stephanie was interested in Adnan after Hae and Adnan split up.

So depending on how true any of that is, there could be a motive for Jay somewhere in there.

There are links to court documents in post #16 on this thread. It is a lot of reading, but there are large sections on Jay's deal in there.

Just came here to see if this was being discussed on Websleuths. Wow. Just... wow. I'm totally sucked in.

I had to do a long drive last weekend (to visit my mum in a nursing home) and my daughter came along and persuaded me to listen to the first seven episodes. I am totally hooked!

I am SO HOOKED on this podcast also! I'm all caught up and anxiously awaiting the next episode, which is supposed to go into more details about Jay.

I WANT to believe that Adnan is innocent, and I agree that there are some sketchy aspects of the case, but I have to say I'm just not there yet. I think Jay is way more involved than he has admitted, but I think Adnan orchestrated everything. It just makes the most sense to me. I can't reconcile some of the things he says and some of the things he "doesn't remember."

I even think his story about wanting to make sure Jay bought Stephanie a present and so he loaned him his car and cell phone was BS. I mean, he would have to be the unluckiest guy on the planet to have loaned his car and phone out to someone who then went and murdered his ex-girlfriend. KWIM? Especially since, according to Adnan, they weren't very good friends.

I also just can't get past him not paging her after her disappearance. There's more, but those are the main ones that I'm having a hard time reconciling.

I still have an open mind though - excited to see what this week will bring.

JMO

I agree with you on everything. To think he needed to lend Jay his brand new cell phone makes no sense.

Are any of you users of the site Reddit? I know it's not for everyone, but there are a few subreddits for Serial, one in which Saad (Rabia's brother/Adnan's best friend) did an AMA (Ask Me Anything thread, if you're unfamiliar). I'm reading it now. It's fascinating. I won't link to it just in case it isn't allowed but Google should bring you to it. The Reddit sleuths are also putting together some pretty awesome FAQs and timelines.

I agree with you on everything. To think he needed to lend Jay his brand new cell phone makes no sense.

I think you have to think about this in context of the time. I'm the same age as this group of people. I find it totally feasible. It was before smart phones, for one thing. Cell phones were still mostly for emergencies. Having a pager was still the cool thing. It's been said (by the group of then-teens) that Adnan often lent his car and phone out, so this wasn't unusual.

Hi PandaJ. I just want to say I tend to agree with you - especially about Adnan not trying to get hold of Hae after she disappeared. But I want to point out one thing where I do disagree with you on premise.

I don't find the fact that he lent the car to Jay to be suspicious. Kids do stuff like that all the time. And I don't think he "lent" his phone to him. Adnan apparently says he simply left the phone in the car. Remember, back then cell phones were bricks -- just huge compared to now. And just like now they were not allowed to be used at school. I know kids in this day and age do that anyway -- but they are typically sneaking the phone to text, not have phone calls. And those old cell phones did not have text back then. There was really no reason for Adnan NOT to leave the phone in his car.

I just started binge listening. This is compelling stuff. I'm excited to catch up, but dreading it too.

I find myself firmly undecided on whether I think Adnan is guilty or innocent.

Of course, the other question is if he should have been convicted. On that, I think that I am more inclined towards the side that he should not have been convicted.

I also find myself looking more at this from the perspective of storytelling -- where will Sarah Koenig be at the end? Will it have a satisfying ending, or not? What IS a satisfying ending?

I love Serial. I get excited for every Thursday morning now. I haven't ever really looked at Reddit. I guess I need to go check it out now!

I just started listening to the podcasts. I appreciate this cheat sheet of key players.

I've been listening and came to WS figuring it would be a popular topic. This needs to be sleuthed. Don't make me go to reddit! :please:

Going by the limited information from the show, I'm leaning toward guilty, but perhaps not beyond a reasonable doubt. I guess I'll start digging into those appellate briefs.

Rhino, there's also an interview of SK there from today. Of note, she says they're planning to finish at 12 episodes.

Are any of you users of the site Reddit? I know it's not for everyone, but there are a few subreddits for Serial, one in which Saad (Rabia's brother/Adnan's best friend) did an AMA (Ask Me Anything thread, if you're unfamiliar). I'm reading it now. It's fascinating. I won't link to it just in case it isn't allowed but Google should bring you to it. The Reddit sleuths are also putting together some pretty awesome FAQs and timelines.

I've never been a Reddit fan, but I was lurking there today, reading about Serial. There's some good solid commentary over there. One of my favorite threads was the 'Adnon and magical thinking' threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288