and-run

Keith BieryGolick, kbierygolick@enquirer.com
2 days ago
Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus
more

The Enquirer/Keith BieryGolick
This memorial is on Reading Road, near where 17-year-old Asia Denson was struck and killed by a vehicle Sunday.

The Enquirer/Keith BieryGolick
A small memorial for 17-year-old Asia Denson on Reading Road in Bond Hill. Denson was struck and killed by a vehicle Sunday night.

A man under investigation in the hit-and-run death of a 17-year-old girl has at least five past convictions for drunken driving, according to court documents.
Asia Denson was struck and killed by a vehicle while trying to cross the street in Bond Hill on Sunday night, Cincinnati police said.
The driver took off after hitting Denson near the intersection of Reading Road and Avonlea Avenue around 10:30 p.m., said Lt. Tim Brown, the night chief.
"She was trying to cross the street," Brown said.
Denson was taken to the University of Cincinnati Medical Center, but succumbed to her injuries, police said

Provided/Hamilton County Justice Center
Dangerfield
Authorities arrested Lawrence Dangerfield, 51, on open warrants for driving with a suspended license and expired tags Monday morning, according to court documents.
Police requested "high or no bond" for Dangerfield because he is under investigation for a fatal hit-and-run, but he has not been charged with a crime relating to Denson's death, according to his arrest slip.
Police noted in his arrest slip he had a cut on his forehead when he was arrested at his home in Bond Hill around 4 a.m.
When ticketed for driving with a suspended license, he was driving a silver BMW, according to court documents. That matches the description given to police of the striking vehicle Sunday, according to information provided by police.
Police found the vehicle shortly after the crash, but it was unattended.
Dangerfield has been convicted of drunken driving at least five times, according to court documents.
In 1993, Dangerfield was convicted of driving drunk or under the influence of drugs in separate incidents just one week apart.
In 1998, he was sentenced to prison for felonious assault, failure to comply and DUI when he didn't stop for a police officer trying to pull him over.
The police department's traffic unit is investigating Denson's death.

Asia Denson was my cousin....our family is devastated because the driver did not stop to help her.

His license plate was left at the scene. Police says they suspected him of driving and hitting her at 80 mph. The speed limit is 35. He has not been charged yet in the death of Asia, he was later found and arrested on 'open warrants'.

Please pray for us.

CINCINNATI -- A teen said she watched her friend die in a hit-and-run Sunday night after getting off a bus in Bond Hill.

Miquael Glover said she and her best friend, 17-year-old Asia Denson, looked both ways and crossed Redding Road at about 10:50 p.m. when Denson realized a silver BMW was coming right at them.

"She yelled my name and tried to run back to the sidewalk," Glover said. "...I turn around and I see her flying in the air. And I run after her, calling 911."

She continued, "I ran to her and was holding her hand and she looked at me and she was squeezing my hand and then she suddenly let go."

Lawrence Dangerfield, 51, was arrested at about 4 a.m. Monday under open traffic warrants and is under investigation in the case, police said. He has five drunken driving convictions.

A license plate found at the scene led investigators to Dangerfield, officers said. The car had heavy front-end damage.

Dangerfield has been arrested five times for driving under a suspended license or without a license.

Investigators said speed appears to be a factor in the incident.

Denson, a Withrow High School student, was pronounced dead at University of Cincinnati Medical Center.

Denson had just gotten a job and was starting Tuesday, her brother Justin Jones said.

"Asia was a smart, intelligent person, man," he said. "She was loving, caring, she had been doing good."

When Denson and Glover got off their bus Sunday night, the driver told them to wait before crossing the street, so they waited, Glover said. *

She said there weren't any cars coming and the lights were flashing at the intersection down the street.

Denson's leg was mangled and the impact knocked her shoes off, Glover said.

“The lady said she had a pulse, so I’m thinking she going to be OK," she said. "Then her momma call me and said they took her baby."

Detectives said they are still looking for surveillance video and witnesses who may be able to provide more details about the incident.

Police ask anyone with information in the case to call Crime Stoppers at 513-352-3040.

Asia Denson was my cousin....our family is devastated because the driver did not stop to help her.

His license plate was left at the scene. Police says they suspected him of driving and hitting her at 80 mph. The speed limit is 35. He has not been charged yet in the death of Asia, he was later found and arrested on 'open warrants'.

Please pray for us.

I am so sorry suspicious1. I live in Cincy and I have been following this story. I am praying for your family and justice for Asia.

I am so sorry suspicious1. I live in Cincy and I have been following this story. I am praying for your family and justice for Asia.

It has been horrible for the family....

I mean, this guy had multiple dui's, open warrants, etc he should've been locked up somewhere. This, IMO, could have been avoided.

I'm glad to see other Cincinnatians on this forum.

August 2016:

Suspect in teen's hit-and-run death arrested after a year on the run

http://www.wcpo.com/news/crime/man-wanted-in-2015-fatal-hit-and-run-arrested-in-delaware

A man indicted on charges in a year-old, fatal hit-and-run in Bond Hill was arrested in Delaware, Cincinnati police spokesman Lt. Steve Saunders said Tuesday.

"It's great for us," said Lt. Bruce Hoffbrauer. "But I feel even better for the family of Asia Denson. For them and for us, it's a good day to find out this guy is finally behind bars."

Lawrence Dangerfield, who had five previous drunk driving conditions as well as previous arrests for driving under a suspended license, was indicted by a grand jury on charges of aggravated vehicular homicide, vehicular homicide and failure to stop after an accident.

But by the time he was indicted, Dangerfield had fled Cincinnati. He spent more than a year on the run, sought by authorities in Atlanta and other locations, before being arrested during a traffic stop in Delaware, according to Lt. Saunders.

“My momma never gave up, but I never thought they were going to find him,” said Denson's sister Jaeonna Palmer.

Wow. It took a whole year to catch this guy? He's been all over the country dodging the law. Glad they finally caught him. Hope the remainder of his days on earth are spent behind bars.

Now ... justice for Asia! :justice:

Man with at least 5 drunk driving convictions found guilty in crash that threw teen 250 feet

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2017/12/01/man-least-5-drunk-driving-convictions-found-guilty-fatal-crash-threw-teen-250-feet/913205001/

Lawrence Dangerfield was speeding between 57 and 80 mph, according to testimony, when he struck and killed a teenage girl two years ago as she tried to cross Reading Road.

The impact threw 17-year-old Asia Denson approximately 250 feet.

A Hamilton County jury on Friday found Dangerfield, 53, guilty of aggravated vehicular homicide and failure to stop after an accident.

Dangerfield likely will face up to 13 years in prison when visiting judge Sylvia Hendon sentences him next month in Hamilton County Common Pleas Court.

Judge tells driver in fatal hit-and-run the maximum sentence "is not enough"

On Wednesday, as he was about to be sentenced, Lawrence Dangerfield wanted the judge to know that it was an accident, but not his accident?

"I'm not saying I was there, I said, based on the evidence…” said Dangerfield.

“So you didn't do it, but if you had done it, it was an accident? Is that what you're saying?” said Judge Hedon.

“Yes,” said Dangerfield.

Judge Hendon sentenced Dangerfield to the maximum under the law: 11 years.

http://www.fox19.com/story/37342602/man-sentenced-in-2015-hit-skip-that-killed-17-year-old

Denson's family said they hope he considers about the consequences of his actions while he's spending time behind bars.

"He left her in the street to die. Who does that? And who gets behind the wheel of a car when you have nine DUIs? He shouldn't have been behind the wheel of that car," Denson's aunt, Peggy Thomas said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back