MA MA - Theresa Corley, 19, Bellingham, 4 December 1978

hmg

Reaction score
A new blog entry on my New England unsolved blog that I haven't seen mentioned here:

Thirty years ago this week, Theresa Corley was murdered in Bellingham, Massachusetts but the case remains unsolved.

On the night of December 4, 1978 nineteen-year-old Corley and some friends went to a bar in nearby Franklin to celebrate a friend's birthday party. After getting drunk, Corley began fighting with one of the friends and decided to leave the bar. Without any transportation though, she was forced to hitchhike. Three men picked up her up and drove her back to their apartment in Franklin where all three attempted to sexually assault her. She ran out of the apartment with one of her own shoes and one of the assailants shoes. On Route 140, Corley continued hitchhiking. She was picked up by two separate Garelick Farms trucks running their early morning routes. Both drivers reported that Corley was intoxicated. One said that Corley told him she had been sexually assaulted so he dropped her off at the Bellingham Police Department, just one mile from Corley's house. Corley decided not to go into the police station. Instead, she was last seen hitchhiking at 5:30 AM on December 5, just outside the police station.

Two days later, Corley's body was found in a ditch off the northbound side of I-495 on the Bellingham/ Medway line. She had been strangled, most likely with a ligature, and was completely nude. Her jeans and jacket were found beside her. Her top garments and shoes have never been recovered. Her body did not have any drag marks on it, leading investigators to believe that at least two people probably disposed of the body.

The day Corley was found, a man identifying himself as "John Burlington" called into the Bellingham police station on an inside (non-911) line and claimed he was from Connecticut and found a body in a ditch while urinating off the side of highway. Police immediately found this suspicious as someone from Connecticut would not know that the location on I-495 was in Bellingham and he called an inside line which only local residents would know.

Another unusual event happened later that day when a man came into the police station and asked the dispatcher if it was Theresa Corley who had been found in the ditch. This was highly suspicious since it had not been announced over the radio that a body was found in this area. It is believed that "John Burlington" and the man who came into the station are one in the same.

The man who walked into the police station is known to police but police have been unable to link him to the crime. Additionally, the three original attackers who brought Theresa to the apartment have been thoroughly questioned and are not believed to be the murders. They have not, however, been entirely ruled out as suspects.

Anyone with any information about this case should call the Theresa Corley tip hotline at the Norfolk County DA's office at 617-593-8840.

"Bellingham, Franklin police look to dig up details in unsolved murder"

http://www.milforddailynews.com/article/20150630/NEWS/150639954

“It is believed that those involved are still out there,” Bellingham and Franklin police said in a joint statement. “Someone knows just what happened to Theresa. Whatever the circumstances were or may have been, Theresa should not have perished in such a cruel and careless manner.”

AR-150639954.jpg&MaxW=315&MaxH=315

A new blog entry on my New England unsolved blog that I haven't seen mentioned here:

Thirty years ago this week, Theresa Corley was murdered in Bellingham, Massachusetts but the case remains unsolved.

On the night of December 4, 1978 nineteen-year-old Corley and some friends went to a bar in nearby Franklin to celebrate a friend's birthday party. After getting drunk, Corley began fighting with one of the friends and decided to leave the bar. Without any transportation though, she was forced to hitchhike. Three men picked up her up and drove her back to their apartment in Franklin where all three attempted to sexually assault her. She ran out of the apartment with one of her own shoes and one of the assailants shoes. On Route 140, Corley continued hitchhiking. She was picked up by two separate Garelick Farms trucks running their early morning routes. Both drivers reported that Corley was intoxicated. One said that Corley told him she had been sexually assaulted so he dropped her off at the Bellingham Police Department, just one mile from Corley's house. Corley decided not to go into the police station. Instead, she was last seen hitchhiking at 5:30 AM on December 5, just outside the police station.

Two days later, Corley's body was found in a ditch off the northbound side of I-495 on the Bellingham/ Medway line. She had been strangled, most likely with a ligature, and was completely nude. Her jeans and jacket were found beside her. Her top garments and shoes have never been recovered. Her body did not have any drag marks on it, leading investigators to believe that at least two people probably disposed of the body.

The day Corley was found, a man identifying himself as "John Burlington" called into the Bellingham police station on an inside (non-911) line and claimed he was from Connecticut and found a body in a ditch while urinating off the side of highway. Police immediately found this suspicious as someone from Connecticut would not know that the location on I-495 was in Bellingham and he called an inside line which only local residents would know.

Another unusual event happened later that day when a man came into the police station and asked the dispatcher if it was Theresa Corley who had been found in the ditch. This was highly suspicious since it had not been announced over the radio that a body was found in this area. It is believed that "John Burlington" and the man who came into the station are one in the same.

The man who walked into the police station is known to police but police have been unable to link him to the crime. Additionally, the three original attackers who brought Theresa to the apartment have been thoroughly questioned and are not believed to be the murders. They have not, however, been entirely ruled out as suspects.

Anyone with any information about this case should call the Theresa Corley tip hotline at the Norfolk County DA's office at 617-593-8840.

Hi, I am Theresa's sister and and actively seeking information even after all these years. I would be interested in how you know there were no drag marks on her body? The State police did have 1 of her shoes and a shoe from one of the apartment assailants. Any information you have I would be interested in. Thank you. Jglah3@aol.com

Also the tip line number has changed....it has been that long. The DA is now
781-830-4800.
It has recently been reported that 3 men picked her up that morning in front of the Dairy Queen in Bellingham, two were brothers. I am seeking the name of the third man. I am believing they brought her to a house and later in that day or evening there was a party. From that point I am not sure what happened. If I had to guess and this is a guess, I am wondering if Theresa's girlfriends might have been there to "help" her from the night before. Somehow things got out of hand. The blanks need to be filled in.

Hi Gerri,
I'm so sorry for your loss. I was in about the 6th grade in Franklin and I vaguely remember this being in the news then. One thing about the about the police force in Franklin (and possibly Bellingham) back then was that it was corrupt as all get out. Probably not unusual for small town forces (and at the time Franklin was a small town) but very insular and with more than a few mob ties. During the 70s and 80s most of the people who lived in the area who were local business people or part of the town government, churches, or police force were all related to each other by marriage. I wouldn't rule out that this case was bungled either maliciously or due to incompetence at the time. There were a number of rapes and sexual assaults in Franklin over those years that were covered up because the perpetrators were related to law enforcement.

edited to add a link with more information: http://www.milforddailynews.com/article/20150623/NEWS/150628629
even more detail here: http://www.woonsocketcall.com/sites/default/files/CAL-070515.pdf

Hi Gerri,
I'm so sorry for your loss. I was in about the 6th grade in Franklin and I vaguely remember this being in the news then. One thing about the about the police force in Franklin (and possibly Bellingham) back then was that it was corrupt as all get out. Probably not unusual for small town forces (and at the time Franklin was a small town) but very insular and with more than a few mob ties. During the 70s and 80s most of the people who lived in the area who were local business people or part of the town government, churches, or police force were all related to each other by marriage. I wouldn't rule out that this case was bungled either maliciously or due to incompetence at the time. There were a number of rapes and sexual assaults in Franklin over those years that were covered up because the perpetrators were related to law enforcement.

edited to add a link with more information: http://www.milforddailynews.com/article/20150623/NEWS/150628629
even more detail here: http://www.woonsocketcall.com/sites/default/files/CAL-070515.pdf

I have heard similar rumors and I am finding out some info in relation to one of the men in the apartment could have had a relative on the Franklin PD----Gerri

Cold Case Spotlight

Plea for Answers in Massachusetts Teen Theresa Corley's 1978 Murder

The story of Massachusetts teen Theresa Corley is one shrouded in questions.

"It's been 37 years, that's a long time for us to be in pain," Gerri Houde, Theresa's sister, told Dateline. "It's senseless, truly senseless what happened and is still happening to my sister."

Their call for answers is almost too late, at least to the Corely family. They remain frustrated with the progress, and at times dedication, to Theresa's case. "I've heard from many people that this case is truly solvable, but people just don't seem to want to extend more energy on it after this many years despite what is said at times," Gerri told Dateline. "Our family does feel like the ball was dropped."

According to Gerri, there are several key pieces of evidence in Theresa's case that have been lost or accidentally destroyed, and there is more officials could do to push the case forward.

Family still searching for closure in decades-long murder case

http://www.wcvb.com/news/family-still-searching-for-closure-in-decadeslong-murder-case/42066884

"If we could find his DNA evidence on Theresa's body, I truly believe he is the one that killed her," Houde said.

Corley's six surviving siblings are now pressing to exhume her body for another autopsy.

In a statement , the Norfolk District Attorney's Office said investigators "continue to take any and all investigative steps, that we have reason to believe will advance this case and potentially lead to solving this murder."

Not satisfied, the family is raising the money to do so on their own.

"This is our last ditch effort for our family. This is our last chance," Houde said. "If we exhume her nothing to be found then ill say we did all we could."

What do you mean, one of Theresa's girlfriends was at the apt to "help"her? Do you think Theresa knew her rapists?

I have a new podcast talking about Theresa Corley's unsolved murder. The podcast is called 'Cold Traces' and the first season is 'Justice for Theresa Corley'. I speak to Theresa's family and friends about how her murder has impacted them over the years. I also speak to Boston's FOX25 reporter Bob Ward about his personal connection to the case. And I speak with Detective Kenneth Mains of the American Investigative Society of Cold Cases for his opinion on the case. Check it out on iTunes, SoundCloud, or your favorite podcast app!

Also, Theresa's family recently exhumed her body to look for DNA evidence:

http://www.milforddailynews.com/news/20170503/body-exhumed-in-1978-bellingham-murder-case
http://www.wcvb.com/article/body-ex...as-investigators-search-for-new-clues/9599989
The family of Theresa Corley hope her fingernails will unlock the mystery surrounding her brutal murder 38 years ago.
Investigators exhumed Corley’s body Wednesday morning from a grave in St. Mary’s Catholic Cemetery in Milford, according to Norfolk County District Attorney Michael Morrissey’s staff. It’s the latest development in a continuing investigation of the cold case, a probe spurred on by Corley’s family.

A team from the State Police Crime Laboratory and the Norfolk County District Attorney’s office were able to collect evidence from her body, including 9 and a half fingernails, said Gerri Houde, Corley’s younger sister.
“They also took other evidence, but we were happy that they were able to get the fingernails, that one piece of evidence that is key for us because there are rumors that Theresa scratched a couple of men.”
The fingernails may carry the DNA that could identify her killer through technology that did not exist when she was killed. “We had to wait for the technology to catch up,” Houde said.
On Wednesday, after the body was exhumed and the evidence taken, Houde said she was relieved but emotionally and physically drained. She and another sister, Diane Pietrantonio of Blackstone, sat in a car at the graveyard while the forensic investigators did their work.
The family had raised money to cover the cost to exhume the body and for the forensic tests; they even had a pathologist from Pennsylvania lined up. But at the last minute the state offered to pay for the testing, Houde said.

“We’re very grateful the Norfolk County DA came in and decided to do testing. They’re determined to get answers.”

Investigators told her it could take around eight to nine months to analyze the evidence.

Houde hopes those involved in her sister’s murder heard about the collection of evidence. She encouraged them to step forward, saying it was not too late to provide needed answers to Corley’s family.
There is no statute of limitations for murder in Massachusetts, said David Traub, Morrissey’s spokesman.
“We do work on older cases, and keep in contact with families,” he aid.
Efforts to solve the case have been ongoing. In 2015, the Franklin and Bellingham police departments put out a call on social media, seeking any new information about the murder. The family launched an online fundraising campaign in 2016 to cover the cost of exhuming Corley’s body.
“Someone knows what happened to Theresa,” Bellingham and Franklin police said in a statement to the Daily News in 2015. “Whatever the circumstances were or may have been, Theresa should not have perished in such a cruel and careless manner.”
Over the years, Houde thought about her sister every day. And the thought about the advances in forensic technology such as DNA analysis. But it was after she raised her own children and had more time that she actively pushed for answers as to why there had never been an arrest in the case. Prosecutors and police say a murder case is never closed until it is solved, she said.
“But there is a difference between a case that is being worked on and a case that is active.”

Investigators have collected DNA from people they interviewed in connection with the case, including one of the men who was at the apartment the night Corley disappeared. Two of the men have since died and the fourth one who was involved has moved out of state and refused to give a DNA sample, Houde said.
Anyone with further information may call the Norfolk County District Attorney’s tip line at 617-593-8840

In looking at other unsolved crimes and mysteries Theresa Corley's murder has common elements. These are just my observations, but reading enough of these cold cases and mysteries certain things just jump out at you. It is almost like you begin each sentence with "Have you ever noticed....."

The victim many times are new to the town, the "non-townies" They are not part of the town clique. They are the outsiders. I believe the Corley family originally moved to Bellingham from Boston.

As in this case there is always lost or missing evidence

Ever notice how many times these cases involve a young girl leaving a party or bar alone after an argument?

Just my observation but a lot of these cases involves small town police departments that probably know who did it due to the family's status in the town avoid "going there." Sounds like this was the case here.

I've been reading about this for days. I am bothered by the disappearance of the man's shoe that Theresa had on when she allegedly fled the apartment. Nothing but her jeans and jacket found. I'm assuming this was to hide as much evidence as possible at that time. I'm no investigator, but the absence of these items and the fact that the police seemed to kind of question these boys lightly leads me to believe that there may be more than one person who knows who did this/who was involved. The fact that they have not been ruled out bothers me. Has there been an effort to get the guy who moved out of Mass. to submit to provide a DNA sample?

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickyBones
Back